RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

warbonnetguyde

Nov 23, 2008, 4:45 AM
Post #1 of 11 (7137 views)
Shortcut

polyester webbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anybody using anything other than nylon webbing? i used polyester webbing recently and found it to work great. polyester stretches ALOT less than nylon, so it doesn't require as much pre-tensioning to get it tight enough. it seemed to feel just like a nylon webbing as far bounce and feel. it made setup alot easier because i didn't have go go through such an epic to get it tight enough.

has anybody used spectra webbing?

i noticed dean potter walking a blue rope in that abc wide world of sports segment. does anybody know what kind of rope it was?

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 23, 2008, 5:06 AM
Post #2 of 11 (7127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [warbonnetguyde] polyester webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

warbonnetguyde wrote:
anybody using anything other than nylon webbing? i used polyester webbing recently and found it to work great. polyester stretches ALOT less than nylon, so it doesn't require as much pre-tensioning to get it tight enough. it seemed to feel just like a nylon webbing as far bounce and feel. it made setup alot easier because i didn't have go go through such an epic to get it tight enough.

has anybody used spectra webbing?

i noticed dean potter walking a blue rope in that abc wide world of sports segment. does anybody know what kind of rope it was?

I've done a lot of testing with polyester webbing (among others). I feel that it is strongly suited for anchoring webbing, but it may not be suitable for main line use depending on the intended usage. Yes, it works just fine, but since you get almost no stretch it doesn't soften the arcs on big surfing and is often very harsh on the feet for large jumps. For my usage, I found it most ideal for minimally tensioned short lines or really long lines. I did not like it at all for jump lines.

Unless you want to walk thin lines, spectra just gets very expensive without any real improvements. Yes, it's much stronger, but with proper rigging you don't need that extra strength.

As far as Potter's rope, I believe it's the Amsteel Blue which is a 100% dyneema rope. I've got plenty laying around.

It's interesting stuff, but it doesn't work so great for backing up highlines and such in my opinion. It's plenty strong but since it has such little stretch, when paired with webbing that does stretch you end up just walking on the rope. If you are solely walking it, then the issue is moot, but you have to be careful about dynamic falls on a static line.

Either way, it's always fun to try out new stuff to walk on and static rope has it's place and I do walk on it every now and then.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Nov 23, 2008, 5:07 AM)

warbonnetguyde

Nov 23, 2008, 5:39 AM
Post #3 of 11 (7113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] polyester webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, cool

it's good to hear side by side comparison like that.

looked like potter was walking only on a rope, it didn't look like he was using it to backup webbing. it also looked really fat, if that was amsteel blue it must have been way overkill on strength. i was guessing it might have been their blue single braid polyester (can't remember the name) i thought the same thing about static line though, possibly a bad idea for a highline. maybe you could throw some screamers in there somewhere.

yeah, the amsteel blue is good stuff, i use the 1/8" dia to hang my hammock, i think it's 2200 # test. definately want a fatter line for walking on though.

NJSlacker

Nov 23, 2008, 5:28 PM
Post #4 of 11 (7082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, I've heard Dean has been walking single strands of Amsteel lately. I know the stuff is strong, but that doesn't leave much room for error:

Of course, a lot of stuff that guys does leaves little room for error...

warbonnetguyde

Nov 23, 2008, 6:51 PM
Post #5 of 11 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NJSlacker] polyester webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i checked and the 10mm has a tensile strength of almost 24,000#

NJSlacker

Nov 23, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #6 of 11 (7047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Could you give me a link? I'm having trouble finding that on my own.

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 23, 2008, 8:54 PM
Post #7 of 11 (7036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NJSlacker wrote:
Could you give me a link? I'm having trouble finding that on my own.

Amsteel blue is the 100% dyneema rope manufactured by Samson. Samson has tons of varieties of it and lots of technical documents on their site regarding it's use. We private label ATV winches for northern wholesale and use their 3/16 which is 5,000 lb tensile test.

Insane stuff really. It is quite costly though. I personally wouldn't have a problem walking a highline solely of the 24,000 lb stuff or greater, but I'd use a shock absorber on my fall leash.

NJSlacker

Nov 23, 2008, 9:48 PM
Post #8 of 11 (7031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What application is it under? I still can't find it.

warbonnetguyde

Nov 23, 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #9 of 11 (7029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e827.asp

although not cheap, the dyneema is cheaper than other high tech lines like vectran or technora. it's about as slipery as a line can get, i've found it not to be too big of a problem though. works poor with a garda hitch and other low friction knots/hitches. i've noticed the single sheetbend to webbing slip as well, not that you'd be using something like these for a highline or for climbing though.

(This post was edited by warbonnetguyde on Nov 23, 2008, 10:11 PM)

USnavy

Nov 26, 2008, 8:59 AM
Post #10 of 11 (6968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

slacklinejoe wrote:
NJSlacker wrote:
Insane stuff really. It is quite costly though. I personally wouldn't have a problem walking a highline solely of the 24,000 lb stuff or greater, but I'd use a shock absorber on my fall leash.

How about a Via Ferrata lanyard? That would be a more sound solution. Those tear away lanyards are not designed to solely produce dynamic properties in an otherwise static belay like a via ferrata lanyard is.

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 26, 2008, 7:37 PM
Post #11 of 11 (6942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] polyester webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's actually what I was proposing. Here's one of the Kong reusuable shock absorbers rigged on my harness.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook