Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Best Climbing in the State
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

 


greasybeat


Dec 3, 2008, 7:32 AM
Post #1 of 17 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 2

Best Climbing in the State  (North_America: United_States: Virginia)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So where do you guys think it is? I'm thinking about a winter break trip while school's out, but I'm on probation (non-malicious offense) so I can't leave the state.


justroberto


Dec 3, 2008, 1:05 PM
Post #2 of 17 (5555 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 1876

Re: [greasybeat] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Old Rag.


suilenroc


Dec 3, 2008, 1:09 PM
Post #3 of 17 (5551 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 13, 2006
Posts: 581

Re: [greasybeat] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

greasybeat wrote:
So where do you guys think it is? I'm thinking about a winter break trip while school's out, but I'm on probation (non-malicious offense) so I can't leave the state.


Try "West" Virginia.. I think you could get by on a technicality...Cool

ADD: go to the NRG


(This post was edited by suilenroc on Dec 3, 2008, 1:10 PM)


munky


Dec 3, 2008, 1:48 PM
Post #4 of 17 (5523 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 26, 2006
Posts: 357

Re: [greasybeat] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll second Old Rag and give Great Falls a nod as it is my home crag and has some damn good routes and lots of rock worth exploring.


greasybeat


Dec 3, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #5 of 17 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 2

Re: [munky] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Nice. The pictures look beautiful. Shit ton of routes. Thanks guys.


atrocket


Dec 4, 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #6 of 17 (5449 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 22, 2005
Posts: 37

Re: [munky] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Great Falls is nice if you like climbing on slick marble and dealing with the crowds. I'd pick Old Rag.

Sneak over the border to WV and go to Seneca or Franklin Wink


munky


Dec 4, 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #7 of 17 (5433 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 26, 2006
Posts: 357

Re: [atrocket] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That slick quartzite will get you really, really strong. Not to mention that over the winter when the OP was asking the friction is great and the crowds are nil to none. Even during peak season and weekends if you know GF well you can escape the crowds by going to lesser popular areas. I would agree that Old Rag is better quality in general but don't discredit GF. On a crisp winter day GF can be a great place for a session, or dare I say it, multiple sessions. Its like highball bouldering with the safety of a rope in a picturesque gorge.


atrocket


Dec 5, 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #8 of 17 (5383 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 22, 2005
Posts: 37

Re: [munky] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm not disputing what you said- I'm from VA originally (Fairfax) and have climbed/kayaked GF many times. But if you're going to spend a weekend climbing, there are better places to go, IMO. Wink


justroberto


Dec 5, 2008, 2:11 PM
Post #9 of 17 (5328 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 1876

Re: [atrocket] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

atrocket wrote:
Sneak over the border to WV and go to Seneca or Franklin Wink

Or just do Bozoo, which would only put you over the border by about five miles...Shocked


notapplicable


Dec 5, 2008, 2:28 PM
Post #10 of 17 (5312 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17766

Re: [justroberto] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
atrocket wrote:
Sneak over the border to WV and go to Seneca or Franklin Wink

Or just do Bozoo, which would only put you over the border by about five miles...Shocked


I didn't see the sign your honor, I swear!


justroberto


Dec 5, 2008, 3:12 PM
Post #11 of 17 (5292 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 1876

Re: [notapplicable] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
justroberto wrote:
atrocket wrote:
Sneak over the border to WV and go to Seneca or Franklin Wink

Or just do Bozoo, which would only put you over the border by about five miles...Shocked


I didn't see the sign your honor, I swear!

"You mean I'm in West Virginia? I just started paddling upstream a couple of hours ago and the next thing you know, I saw all these rocks..."Angelic


rockandlice


Dec 22, 2008, 4:01 PM
Post #12 of 17 (5161 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2008
Posts: 622

Re: [greasybeat] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll also have to go with Old Rag.


HarklessDO


Jan 1, 2009, 7:59 AM
Post #13 of 17 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 28, 2007
Posts: 159

Re: [rockandlice] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am moving from Western PA to VA (wytheville, SW Virginia) this summer. I have climbed in the DC area at carderrock and great falls. I was wondering if anybody had any reccomendations in that part of the state or is it usual to drive up New river?


ja1484


Jan 1, 2009, 9:58 AM
Post #14 of 17 (4967 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 10, 2006
Posts: 1935

Re: [greasybeat] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

 
VA is, unfortunately, a little light on good crags. Old Rag has some nice stuff.

Other than that, be glad you are in close proximity to NC, WV, and KY.


justroberto wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
justroberto wrote:
atrocket wrote:
Sneak over the border to WV and go to Seneca or Franklin Wink

Or just do Bozoo, which would only put you over the border by about five miles...Shocked


I didn't see the sign your honor, I swear!

"You mean I'm in West Virginia? I just started paddling upstream a couple of hours ago and the next thing you know, I saw all these rocks..."Angelic


No, he means the new landowner has closed Bozoo to the public for the time being.


(This post was edited by ja1484 on Jan 1, 2009, 10:01 AM)


justroberto


Jan 2, 2009, 7:51 AM
Post #15 of 17 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 1876

Re: [HarklessDO] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The meager 1 1/2 hr drive from Wytheville to the NRG is well worth it. That said, the best sport climbing in the state is down near Abingdon; it just happens to be closed down. There's rock in your area for sure, you just have to find it. It's a little off the beaten path sometimes, but if you follow the ridges down parallel to I-81 you'll definitely find some stuff. If you're looking to clip some bolts, head to the New.


justroberto


Jan 2, 2009, 7:53 AM
Post #16 of 17 (4905 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 1876

Re: [ja1484] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
VA is, unfortunately, a little light on good crags. Old Rag has some nice stuff.

Other than that, be glad you are in close proximity to NC, WV, and KY.


justroberto wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
justroberto wrote:
atrocket wrote:
Sneak over the border to WV and go to Seneca or Franklin Wink

Or just do Bozoo, which would only put you over the border by about five miles...Shocked


I didn't see the sign your honor, I swear!

"You mean I'm in West Virginia? I just started paddling upstream a couple of hours ago and the next thing you know, I saw all these rocks..."Angelic


No, he means the new landowner has closed Bozoo to the public for the time being.
No, he meant the sign for West Virginia, since this conversation took place before Bozoo was shut down.


HarklessDO


Jan 2, 2009, 1:02 PM
Post #17 of 17 (4850 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 28, 2007
Posts: 159

Re: [justroberto] Best Climbing in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. I don't mind driving to the New but I am a doctor and sometimes time is the one thing I don't have. So it is always nice if there is a place even if small to go thats 30 minutes or less away.
At least there is a climbing wall in wytheville. Although hopefully I can get my set back up. Don't know if I can stand climbing on plastic after getting used to my synrock.


Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook