Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174)
Spot on, aid is complete BS 10 / 17%
I'd like to stab the author through the jaw with a sky hook 10 / 17%
I don't see what all the arguing is about 10 / 17%
I'm going to get some popcorn, this is gonna be good 28 / 48%
58 total votes

jh_angel

Dec 4, 2008, 5:58 AM
Post #1 of 90 (15467 views)
Shortcut

Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Discuss... or flame... maybe a little of both?

majid_sabet

Dec 4, 2008, 6:03 AM
Post #2 of 90 (15458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jh_angel] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tongue

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Dec 5, 2008, 3:56 AM)

pmyche

Dec 4, 2008, 2:42 PM
Post #3 of 90 (15397 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by pmyche [In reply to]
Report this Post

dingus

Dec 4, 2008, 2:52 PM
Post #4 of 90 (15385 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It said aid climbers are lame. It says a5 is bogus. It claims the 'death fall' mystique is manufactured danger. The author retrobolted an A5 route, so I guess he's a little sensitive about the subject.

Klaus think's he a pussy.

DMT

scottb

Dec 4, 2008, 3:14 PM
Post #5 of 90 (15364 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pmyche wrote:
What did it say?
It was the "Aid Rant" guy saying what the Aid Rant guy says.

Partner camhead

Dec 4, 2008, 3:17 PM
Post #6 of 90 (15362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottb] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chris Kalous?

jh_angel

Dec 4, 2008, 3:40 PM
Post #7 of 90 (15336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottb] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scottb wrote:
pmyche wrote:
What did it say?
It was the "Aid Rant" guy saying what the Aid Rant guy says.

It was the aid rant guy, but in a more structured, coherent and not drunk (or at least less) way.

Gmburns2000

Dec 4, 2008, 4:21 PM
Post #8 of 90 (15272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jh_angel] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Didn't read the article, but based on the comments from above then I'll throw my neck out there and say that I don't know what the big deal is. It's a style, and whatever one person wants to do is what that one person wants to do. I don't see why I should care if that person likes or dislikes aid. It doesn't affect me, and I'm not so sure it should affect others either.

MikeSaint

Dec 4, 2008, 5:59 PM
Post #9 of 90 (15219 views)
Shortcut

Not Aid Itself... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I interpreted and make note of, Chris Kalous having an issue with the current system for categorizing aid climbs. Not to be confused with the act of aiding itself. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Note: I have never done a bit of aid in my life. Anyone in the South East need an apprentice?

(This post was edited by MikeSaint on Dec 4, 2008, 6:01 PM)

dingus

Dec 4, 2008, 6:00 PM
Post #10 of 90 (15218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Didn't read the article, but based on the comments from above then I'll throw my neck out there and say that I don't know what the big deal is. It's a style, and whatever one person wants to do is what that one person wants to do. I don't see why I should care if that person likes or dislikes aid. It doesn't affect me, and I'm not so sure it should affect others either.

The dude retrobolted someone else's route, enroute to dissing A5. No I don't think this will affect 99.99% of us in the least. But there is a .01% that really takes that shit seriously.

DMT

dingus

Dec 4, 2008, 6:02 PM
Post #11 of 90 (15209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MikeSaint] Not Aid Itself... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MikeSaint wrote:
I interpreted and make note of, Chris Kalous having an issue with the current system for categorizing aid climbsnot the act of aiding itself.

No he has an issue with the Valley Gods and the status quo. This is a social issue alone and goes back to the Robbins/Valley Christian Harding/Downward Bound wars.

DMT

Gmburns2000

Dec 4, 2008, 6:57 PM
Post #12 of 90 (15161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

The dude retrobolted someone else's route, enroute to dissing A5. No I don't think this will affect 99.99% of us in the least. But there is a .01% that really takes that shit seriously.

DMT

Well, my personal philosophy is that people should be able to do what they need to do. He retro-bolted it and dissed the original style. I'm OK with that. What I'm not OK with is him doing that and taking the response personally. In other words, if you're going to do something then expect the consequences. If he can't stand the heat then he shouldn't have stuck his neck out. To further my point, while it doesn't necessarily bother me that he did this, I feel it entirely appropriate for folks to flame him, too, if they don't agree with his actions.

rocks_good_hippies_bad

Dec 4, 2008, 7:31 PM
Post #13 of 90 (15112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha. Try to follow my logic:

If there's no such thing as the A5 death fall...but he needed to retrobolt it...then...why? Two reasons:

1. Because there IS such thing as the A5 death fall
OR
2. Because he's too much of a euro-trash bolt-clipping nancy to take the big (and not so deadly) whip!

I say grab the hooks and duct tape not the bosch and bolts.

Gmburns2000

Dec 4, 2008, 8:51 PM
Post #14 of 90 (15061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocks_good_hippies_bad] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocks_good_hippies_bad wrote:

If there's no such thing as the A5 death fall...but he needed to retrobolt it...then...why? Two reasons:

OR
2. Because he's too much of a euro-trash bolt-clipping nancy to take the big (and not so deadly) whip!

I don't disagree with that.

degaine

Dec 5, 2008, 12:46 AM
Post #15 of 90 (15006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocks_good_hippies_bad] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I find this statement ironic (and ignorant) considering that some of the boldest, most visionary climbers in the Valley today hail from Europe (Germany, Belgium, GB for example).

jh_angel

Dec 5, 2008, 2:12 AM
Post #16 of 90 (14968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OR

He put bolts where there were previously rivets, which also require drilling. Thus making an aid route free-able, which most would agree is a better style. That was one of his points; If you are going to drill, do it right the first time and put in a bolt which can be used by aid and free climbers alike.

krosbakken

Dec 5, 2008, 2:18 AM
Post #17 of 90 (14963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pmyche wrote:
What did it say?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...os/Detailed/780.html

I have this video on here from youtube. There it is.^^^^^^^

edit:clicky

(This post was edited by krosbakken on Dec 5, 2008, 4:24 AM)

krosbakken

Dec 5, 2008, 2:32 AM
Post #18 of 90 (14947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About the rant of his and aid climbing.

I don't aid climb but when I see Ammon McNeeley, Ivo Ninov, or Chris Mcnamara aid climbing. Im pretty impressed, those guys have got balls. The shit ammon does is some insane shit. Have you seen First Ascent? well there is a clip on mcneeley and its some bold stuff.

And I agree with people above that have said this: Its just a style of climbing, its just like another style.

just my two cents.

Valarc

Dec 5, 2008, 3:07 AM
Post #19 of 90 (14924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krosbakken] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a complete outsider to the concept, the Aid climbing thing has always confused the shit out of me. There seem to be so many contradictions, so much double talk and double standards, so much "respect" for history that usually ends up with these ridiculously convoluted rule sets... it just seems so, pointless.

Here's an example. And again, this is coming from someone who the old-timers would call "ignorant". I've never aid climbed, barely have any real climbing in my extremely short "career", and am speaking solely from my own logical reasoning as an admitted outsider with no first-hand knowledge.

My example involves retro-bolting. And let's get this out of the way - I don't believe in grid bolting, and I believe retro bolting is a complete dick move (most of the time!). However, I always hear the same argument being sprayed about retro-bolting, and this is the thing that reeks of double standards to me.

That argument goes something like this: "if you can't do the line as it was originally climbed, you have no right to bring the climb down to your level"

Yet, these same "old timers" or "respectful" climbers seem to have no problem with bolt ladders in blank sections, or of drilling hook holes. To me, drilling a hook hole is bringing the mountain down to your level just as much as placing a bolt, perhaps even more. The sport climber clipping bolts might be bringing the protection down to his level, but the aid climber drilling hook holes is bringing the actual climbing down to his level. At least the "euro trash sport weenie" is climbing the features that the rock gave him, while the aid purist is creating new features to climb on.

It all seems so convoluted and stupid, in my humble opinion.

PosiDave

Dec 5, 2008, 3:39 AM
Post #20 of 90 (14896 views)
Shortcut

[Valarc] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

F*** Rockclimbing. It's like a bunch of high school kids stuck in their cliches and pissing and moaning about how they are better than the next. We should all quit and take up curling I bet there are less things to hate people for.

Lazlo

Dec 5, 2008, 3:45 AM
Post #21 of 90 (14887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jh_angel wrote:

OR

He put bolts where there were previously rivets, which also require drilling. Thus making an aid route free-able, which most would agree is a better style. That was one of his points; If you are going to drill, do it right the first time and put in a bolt which can be used by aid and free climbers alike.

As I understand it; a rivet will not hold a fall...so if he placed bolts where there were rivets; then he has ruined this A5, right? I think that's wrong. That's like chipping holds to me.

MikeSaint

Dec 5, 2008, 3:55 AM
Post #22 of 90 (14868 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PosiDave] [Valarc] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PosiDave wrote:
F*** Rockclimbing. It's like a bunch of high school kids stuck in their cliches and pissing and moaning about how they are better than the next. We should all quit and take up curling I bet there are less things to hate people for.

Welcome to rockclimbing.com Friend!

jh_angel

Dec 5, 2008, 4:07 AM
Post #23 of 90 (14858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Aid climbing article in newest Rock & Ice (Issue 174) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So you think once a climb is done on aid it should stay that way forever and never be freed? For example: keeping something as A5 is better than having it be, for instance, 5.13 with the option of doing it as an A1?

Many aid routes have been freed over the years, and sometimes that requires putting in bolts. Sometimes in place of other drilled pro, sometimes not. So the main question to think over is: If an A5 can be freed, but it needs bolts, should it be bolted and freed or not? (Keep in mind many A5s have "enhanced" features that make them aid-able, they are not all natural)

Lazlo

Dec 5, 2008, 4:18 AM
Post #24 of 90 (14836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jh_angel wrote:
So you think once a climb is done on aid it should stay that way forever and never be freed? For example: keeping something as A5 is better than having it be, for instance, 5.13 with the option of doing it as an A1?

Many aid routes have been freed over the years, and sometimes that requires putting in bolts. Sometimes in place of other drilled pro, sometimes not. So the main question to think over is: If an A5 can be freed, but it needs bolts, should it be bolted and freed or not? (Keep in mind many A5s have "enhanced" features that make them aid-able, they are not all natural)

I'll just simply say; that if I put up a route of my own; and someone lowered it's grade (whether it's aid, free, ect.) I would be very unhappy. It certainly would not be the same route any longer.

Whoo Hoo for the sport climbers...boohoo for the aid climbers.

Lets remove some RAWLS on a sport route and start hooking the sleeves!

krosbakken

Dec 5, 2008, 4:19 AM
Post #25 of 90 (13541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jh_angel wrote:

I agree with this. Yes a climb may have to be aided at first but if it can be free climbed then make it free able. ( if that made any sense at all ).

Theres a video clip of tommy caldwell and beth rodden in the grand canyon wanting to free an aid climb but first chris mcnamara aided up there and made sure that all the pro was there and it was possible, and I think that is where aid climbing is great to have. With aid climbing your able to explore further, and then later free climb it (if possible, and aiding up it will help determine if it is possible or not).

just my 2 cents.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook