Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

qwert

Dec 12, 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #1 of 33 (15918 views)
Shortcut

Just tumbled down 50 or so meters in an avalanche
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, thread title says it.
I got into an avalanche, and rode about 50 meters. i am really bad about judging heigts and distances, so it might be much more, or a bit less.
But anyways, we are very lucky to just walk (or to be more correct hobble) away from it.
I just have a swollen foot, because it got twisted, and lost my glasses and headlamp. My friend is still in hospital, but it seams like it is just a (heavily) bruised hip, and she will walk away from the incident just with the monitary loss of her boots.

Such a beginners mistake. We thought its free of snow, so its should be ok, when we walked up the slope. We where sticking to a snow free ridge, and since it was easier to walk, we stayed a bit to the side of it, but since every step that broke through the snow, was hitting rocks, we thought that we were save, or we didint think at all, i dont know.

I should have known better.

I am not entirely shure why i am posting that, but i gues the take home message here is: avalanches are fuckin serious bussines! just that there is not much snow all around, does not necceserily mean that it is all clear!

Maybe this message does help some folks? Seems like i learned the hard way, maybe someone reads this, and does not have to learn it like taht? Next thing probably is that i take some more avalanche courses, and get that information really into my system. Albeit im quite ok, that was too fuckin close Unimpressed

Other stuff: anyone has some advice, apart from learning more about avalanches, and actually doing the learned stuff?
Guess i do quite take a lot, but somehow i just want to make shure that i dont develop a winter phobia or something ...

qwert

blondgecko

Dec 12, 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #2 of 33 (15906 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Just tumbled down 50 or so meters in an avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shocked

Ouch! Glad to hear you made it out ok.

Anyway, moving from Campground to A&IA.

qwert

Dec 12, 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #3 of 33 (15888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Just tumbled down 50 or so meters in an avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
Shocked

Ouch! Glad to hear you made it out ok.

Anyway, moving from Campground to A&IA.

Actually i thought about posting in in A&IA, but then i thoght it is not actually climbing related (whe where hiking after all), so i might as well put it to the scummunity.
Also i think i cannot get answers here about the question wehter Jameson or Smirnoff is a better painkiller Crazy

Just sitting here, and not knowing wether should call today a really good or a bad day. Unimpressed

qwert

blondgecko

Dec 12, 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #4 of 33 (15868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go with smirnoff, myself (mixed with orange or cranberry juice).

I think it's close enough to go here.

notapplicable

Dec 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #5 of 33 (15863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
Just sitting here, and not knowing wether should call today a really good or a bad day. Unimpressed

qwert

Oh today was a good day for sure. A valuable lesson was learned and everyone came out in one piece, it doesn't get much better than that.

Glad to hear you didn't get badly hurt man, could have been much worse.Unimpressed

qwert

Dec 12, 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #6 of 33 (15825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Just tumbled down 50 or so meters in an avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
qwert wrote:

qwert

Oh today was a good day for sure. A valuable lesson was learned and everyone came out in one piece, it doesn't get much better than that.
I guesss so, but we should not have made that mistake to begin with.
But yes, it is great that we both are quite well still.
The feeling of simply tumbling in all directions, with stones crushing under you, and snow trying to fill your mouth was really not good at all.
but then stoping at the surface, and actually getting a response when calling for your friend is really amazing.

qwert

Partner epoch

Dec 13, 2008, 1:14 AM
Post #7 of 33 (15743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoa.

It's good to hear that you were able to walk away from this one.

hafilax

Dec 13, 2008, 1:44 AM
Post #8 of 33 (15719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A thin, variable snow pack can be very unstable especially in the sun. The rocks heat up much faster than the snow and the snow will weaken around them.

It sounds like you were caught in a terrain trap type situation where small avalanches can have big consequences due to the terrain.

If you plan on spending any time in avalanche terrain it's best to take a recreational avalanche safety course.

The book How to stay alive in avalanche terrain is often recommended although I haven't read it myself.

I just bought The Thin Line which is a pretty good video on the subject although it's a bit heavy on the scare factor for my liking. It does cover many of the basics and has a few case studies. It's more backcountry skiing oriented.

moose_droppings

Dec 13, 2008, 3:14 AM
Post #9 of 33 (15655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, what a scary ride. Glad to here you and your partner came out on top. Second chances are great opportunities.

dan2see

Dec 13, 2008, 4:02 AM
Post #10 of 33 (15632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
...I am not entirely shure why i am posting that, but i gues the take home message here is: avalanches are fuckin serious bussines! just that there is not much snow all around, does not necceserily mean that it is all clear!

I am not entirely sure why I read your posts. Language is a f..n serious business. Just because you use emphatic words, does not necessarily mean that I take you seriously.

I wrote you a while ago, asking you to choose a more appropriate sig.

Oh well, if you manage your hikes like you manage your posts, I guess you'll walk into more troubles.

Winter is just starting.

shockabuku

Dec 13, 2008, 5:16 AM
Post #11 of 33 (15582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Scary. Congratulations on your survival.

majid_sabet

Dec 13, 2008, 5:25 AM
Post #12 of 33 (15568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Just tumbled down 50 or so meters in an avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:

He needs one of these to respect the next avi

http://video.google.com/...sabetzadeh&hl=en

shockabuku

Dec 13, 2008, 5:28 AM
Post #13 of 33 (15561 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Just tumbled down 50 or so meters in an avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

I always worried that if I got caught in an avalanche and they came looking for me with probes that someone would stick the probe through my eye.Pirate

notapplicable

Dec 13, 2008, 6:22 AM
Post #14 of 33 (15528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Just tumbled down 50 or so meters in an avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
qwert wrote:
...I am not entirely shure why i am posting that, but i gues the take home message here is: avalanches are fuckin serious bussines! just that there is not much snow all around, does not necceserily mean that it is all clear!

I am not entirely sure why I read your posts. Language is a f..n serious business. Just because you use emphatic words, does not necessarily mean that I take you seriously.

Oh well, if you manage your hikes like you manage your posts, I guess you'll walk into more troubles.

Winter is just starting.

No need to be an ass Dan, english is not everyones first language.

Oh and Qwert don't change that sig man. Its just so inanely crass and bizarre that I can't help but smile everytime I read it...Sly

blondgecko

Dec 13, 2008, 8:30 AM
Post #15 of 33 (15483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
qwert wrote:

Winter is just starting.

There's a time and a place. This is neither.

qwert

Dec 13, 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #16 of 33 (15454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
qwert wrote:

Winter is just starting.
Dan, i know how you are feeling about my sig. But its not that bad. I choose it out of the shere absurdity of it.
And speaking of appropriate stuff: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=1736087;#1736087
It is just the same. Personally i dont mind. If you are feeling fine with that, good for you. Do i like it? No, but i just choose to read over it, and go on with my bussiness. Because of this i see you neither as a worse or better person. But the above quote however Unimpressed
And yes, english is not my first language.

Back to topic:
I have had some avalanche courses, and read books on it, and every year im training searching with my friends, so its not that i am totally uneducated on the subject. I guess that makes it even worse Mad I should have known better!
But as i said, it was this stupid "there is almost no snow at all, so its ok" feeling.
I guess part of the problem is that alle of the avalanche stuff in germany is based on the warning level by the avalanche forecast. Of course one can get into very complicated and detailed stuff from there on, but it boils down to stuff like: If you want to go low risk, then from level 3 on, avoid steep slopes, north slopes, and filled gullys.
And i dont have any forecast here, to help me.
Seems like i know quite a bit, but not enough.

qwert

dan2see

Dec 13, 2008, 1:59 PM
Post #17 of 33 (15422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Just tumbled down 50 or so meters in an avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
...No need to be an ass Dan, english is not everyones first language...

OK you're right, NA.

In the city where I live, I'm surrounded by dirty mouths and guys who think that spelling is for sissies. Living in Canada, we get a constant stream of "new Canadians" who impose their own poor culture on us, for the sake of being cool.

But I love language, and social interaction, and getting along. So you can see that I've been frustrated by this cultural crap for a lot of years.

The reason I got angry with Qwert is because his cultural crap is his deliberate choice.

Nobody forgets that RC.com is a forum about climbing and climbers. But some of us forget that it's also a public forum.

That's my rant!

So now I promise it stop being an ass about language, and continue to enjoy all the posts about climbing. And when anybody writes crap, I'll bite my tongue and move on.

8flood8

Dec 13, 2008, 2:24 PM
Post #18 of 33 (15413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:

qwert

The real question that belies this answer is: "Did you have to use your AK?"

Ice Cube wrote:

dingus

Dec 13, 2008, 2:42 PM
Post #19 of 33 (15400 views)
Shortcut

Re: Just tumbled down 50 or so meters in an avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So Qwert....

what happened? You didn't really describe the avi at all... and I'm guessing you're more avi-savy (haha) than 99% of the posters on this board.

THAT should be a sobering thought - to the 99.

DMT

qwert

Dec 13, 2008, 3:05 PM
Post #20 of 33 (15388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Just tumbled down 50 or so meters in an avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
So Qwert....

what happened? You didn't really describe the avi at all... and I'm guessing you're more avi-savy (haha) than 99% of the posters on this board.

THAT should be a sobering thought - to the 99.

DMT
Yes maybe a sobering thought to the 99, but definitely also to me.

The avalanche itself was a snowslab, and it seems like we triggered it ourself. we could actually hear it breaking, and then saw the cracks, as it started to move. A fascinating and totally horrifying feeling.
It maybe was just 10 meters wide, but we traveled quite a bit with it. we ended up lower than the point we started from 10 to 15 minutes before.
We were folowing a snow free ridge, but walking a bit of the side of it, but most steps where breaking through, and getting on stones.
Without snow, the slope is a really coarse blockfield, so i asuumed it would be coarse enough to hold the snow. Seems like i was wrong.
Judging from the sounds and the smell (and my friends back), the whole blockfield simply got into the avalanche to. I heard stones crushing all around me, and smelled that tipical stone-hitting-stone smell.

qwert

dingus

Dec 13, 2008, 3:33 PM
Post #21 of 33 (15370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow yall were really lucky! No other term for it really. Good that you posted it here.

DMT

k.l.k

Dec 13, 2008, 3:36 PM
Post #22 of 33 (15366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very scary. Most of the folks I know who spend enough time in the backcountry eventually have a close call. I've been lucky (probably because I gave up skiing years ago). Glad to hear you got away comparatively clean.

The number of exceptionally skilled and experienced folks who get killed in avvies is enough to show that there is always going to be a bit of chance involved.

qwert

Dec 13, 2008, 3:40 PM
Post #23 of 33 (15365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Just tumbled down 50 or so meters in an avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Wow yall were really lucky! No other term for it really. Good that you posted it here.

DMT
yes, definetely very lucky. I am posting it here, so that maybe not only we two learn from it, but maybe also some others.
I always thought avalanches are way underrated, especially if you look at all those pretty picture freeride skiing/boarding magazines and videos.
I always thought that this is a bad thing, and now that i have experienced it myself i think more so.
I dont want to be a fun stopping preacher, but you need some special skills, if you want to go out in winter.
And i do definetely need more of those special skills!

qwert

dan2see

Dec 13, 2008, 4:01 PM
Post #24 of 33 (15353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
...The avalanche itself was a snowslab, and it seems like we triggered it ourself. we could actually hear it breaking, and then saw the cracks, as it started to move. A fascinating and totally horrifying feeling.

I know what it feels like, to be on the brink of deadly danger. So far I'm lucky, and I when I walk away from this I tend to laugh at the fates.

Thanks, Qwert, for the realistic description. It's an objective reminder to pay attention, and be prepared.

If you can read my sig, you'll know that my thanks is real.

h4lf_rope

Dec 13, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #25 of 33 (15266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Just tumbled down 50 or so meters in an avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

Have you ever lost a student this way? Have you ever wanted to?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook