Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

marebear

Dec 10, 2008, 9:35 PM
Post #26 of 35 (2173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xgretax] thyroid hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, I went to the doc Monday and got some blood work sent in. After looking at the Stop The Thyroid Madness website, I made a list of labs I wanted, showed the doc, and she said "I totally agree with you!" I'm having Free T3 and T4, TSH, and Ferritin tested as well as Iron and something else.

Hopefully we'll get something figured out from those. I get lab results back by the end if the week. Meanwhile, I'm trying to force myself to go climbing and running even though I'm EXHAUSTED.

xgretax

Dec 15, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #27 of 35 (2142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marebear] thyroid hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like some solid labs...ferritin will tell you a log. you also may want to consider homone saliva tests. beware of ranges, if you see something low-normal or high-normal, be extremely suspicious.
check out:
http://www.zrtlab.com/default.aspx

my test is profile III. will be taking it tomorrow.

marebear

Dec 15, 2008, 7:54 PM
Post #28 of 35 (2140 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The doctor's office just called to tell me that everything was within normal ranges for my blood work and that we'd discuss it at my next appointment in a few weeks. It's disappointing to find out that everything is "normal" when I have all the crappy symptoms. I'll have to see what the numbers are when I go see the doc again.

I had a saliva hormone test done in May, the results were within normal ranges, but I was estrogen dominant. My doctor at the time was willing to treat symptoms and not ranges, but unfortunately, I had to change docs when I moved to Montana.

clausti

Dec 15, 2008, 8:51 PM
Post #29 of 35 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marebear wrote:
The doctor's office just called to tell me that everything was within normal ranges for my blood work and that we'd discuss it at my next appointment in a few weeks. It's disappointing to find out that everything is "normal" when I have all the crappy symptoms. I'll have to see what the numbers are when I go see the doc again.

ask which "normal" range your doctor is using, the one that goes to 5.5 or the one that goes to 3.

if he insists that tsh of 5 or so is normal and you feel like crap, get pushy or get a diff doctor.

xgretax

Dec 15, 2008, 9:24 PM
Post #30 of 35 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you can, get a copy of your labs asap. get them before you have your appointment. they will have your results in addition the the range your dr. is basing his/her normal opinion on. again, be suspicious of these so called normals. i would go on a statistical rant, but i'm too lazy. be especially critical of your ferritin results. if your dr. isn't willing to listen to your concerns, kick em to the curb.

what hormones did you test for if cortisol, how many times per day? obviously, by what you stated, there is an imbalance. but estro. domin. isn't crystal clear. I don't have all of my references on me, but i do have a few that I will add to this forum that probably will help you.

xgretax

Dec 17, 2008, 8:21 PM
Post #31 of 35 (2086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

estrogen dominance can cause huge problems with how your body responds/uses thyroid hormone. So you may have 'normal' TSH, etc ranges, but estrogen can block it. I'll grab my citations later, so you know where i found this info...

marebear

Dec 17, 2008, 11:58 PM
Post #32 of 35 (2073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. Any more would be appreciated. Or, you can be my doctor and prescribe me the right things. That would be nice. :)

xgretax

Jan 26, 2009, 5:04 AM
Post #33 of 35 (2015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Finally got all of my saliva test results back. There's lots of weird stuff going on in the landohormones. The most obvious is deficient cortisol production. I'm off to my doc tomorrow to discuss the results and hopefully adjust all of my meds. will update you later.

geogoddess

Jan 31, 2009, 3:24 AM
Post #34 of 35 (1954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lets jsut say I'm concerned about the effects of severe and chronic traumatic stress, and I'm going to my doc in a week. What tests should I request to evaluate my thyroid and cortisol/adrenal functions?

I know there is a saliva test for cortisol- what else? I can do this at an ND or my doc (she is awesome and knows my history very well).

xgretax

Feb 6, 2009, 8:10 PM
Post #35 of 35 (1903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] thyroid hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Geogoddess, sorry i'm getting back to you so late. I hope your visit went well. So yes, stick with that doc that knows your history (ND?) test for cortisol 4 times per day. i wish i could draw you a graph. but basically this helps assess adrenal function. estrogen, progesterone, dhea-s, and testosterone were also included in the test.

in my case, my cortisol levels were so low as in below physiologically functioning levels, that i have been put on hydrocort. simply put, because i have such low cortisol levels, my thyroid is unable to function at an optimal level. and until my cortisol levels are brought up, any thyroid medication/doses i'm on won't work (they can actually inhibit cort levels.

gotta go...the toddler demands my full attention.....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook