RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

krillen

Oct 27, 2008, 5:03 PM
Post #1 of 16 (8933 views)
Shortcut

Should we close the PCC?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How is everyone? Doing well? Great to hear, how's the family/work/trip/preparations/your shooting been lately?

Anyway, I know this issue came up about a year ago, but the lack of photos posted in recent months has again become quite apparent. I appreciate all the participation and great conversation this forum has fostered by it may be time for us to move.

The last photo posted on here was: May 26, 2008, 9:57 AM. 5 months ago. At this rate I think we might be better served by either closing the doors and maintaining this forum only as an archive, OR simply merging it with the photography forum and operating it as a regular forum.

If there is significant interest in keeping the forum around and active, I would be interested in any new ideas on how to move forward/expand/shift our course. Also if there is someone out there who thinks that they might be better suited to captain the ship, put your hat in the ring and we can see what the membership has to say.

Cheers!

chanceboarder

Oct 27, 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #2 of 16 (8921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krillen] Should we close the PCC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good question. I was noticing the lack of photographs in the PCC as well. I guess I'm as much as fault as the next for not having anything to post for critique. I find myself shooting far more non-climbing related meterial as of late and haven't had the chance to get some good climbing related photos. Personally I'm more likely to post a photo in the non-climbing photo thread then I am here on the PCC right now.

I think since there seems to be a lack of material here in the PCC simply merging it with the photography forum would be a good way to go since that forum seems to be pretty active by comparison. I dunno, there's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Cheers,
Jason

kriso9tails

Oct 28, 2008, 2:13 AM
Post #3 of 16 (8911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We could merge it and just apply the same rules here to anything with "photo critique" in the title.

The main thing I liked about having it separate is it sort of set apart people that wanted an honest discussion on imagery from the 'look at my photo, look at my photo, LOOK AT MY PHOTO!' types.

krillen

Oct 28, 2008, 2:45 AM
Post #4 of 16 (8908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Should we close the PCC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What about allowing all types of photos for critique instead of almost exclusively climbing photos?

wes_allen

Oct 29, 2008, 5:09 AM
Post #5 of 16 (8888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A single forum would be best, I think. Not sure about threads for non climbing photos for critique though, as there are a lot of other sites out there for that. And we have the non climbing photo thread going...

Partner j_ung

Oct 29, 2008, 2:25 PM
Post #6 of 16 (8873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Should we close the PCC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Meh. Things ebb and flow. I'd like to keep it. So what if it doesn't get as much traffic sometimes as others? It's still a decent resource to have around. I'm even considering making the Ladies Room a club, so it isn't so creepy.

chanceboarder

Oct 30, 2008, 9:45 PM
Post #7 of 16 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Should we close the PCC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well you're the boss Tongue

Partner j_ung

Oct 31, 2008, 1:03 PM
Post #8 of 16 (8832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chanceboarder] Should we close the PCC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, but if people feel differently I'm open to being convinced.

evanwish

Nov 1, 2008, 6:37 AM
Post #9 of 16 (8809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think having it was a great idea.. though it does seem underused..

what are the pro's of taking it down?

Partner philbox

Nov 2, 2008, 5:20 AM
Post #10 of 16 (8792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [evanwish] Should we close the PCC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If the critique forum were merged into the other photography forum then all critique threads may receive much more traffic. They would be open to all comers. That may be both bad and good. By and large though having anyone and everyone let you know that your photo either sucks or is great might help more people take great shots.

This forum may have served its purpose as a quarantine station when rc.com photos were being subjected to constant photo bombing. That may still occur in the future but with the ability to see publically who is doing the bombing then that may well preclude a lot of the bombing. One can simply send a PM to the bomber and call them out on their behaviour.

I think it may be a good thing to merge this forum with the other one. They are definitely closely related.

Good points. You know it is also possible to color the resulting merged forum blue.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Mar 2, 2009, 4:47 PM)

Partner cracklover

Nov 12, 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #11 of 16 (8722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stopped posting photos here because I rarely got more than one or two bits of feedback. And if I'm not posting pics, there's no reason to come here.

I like the forum, though. I'd be sad if it went away or was merged. I just wish there was a way to entice more people to get involved.

GO

churningindawake

Dec 17, 2008, 6:44 PM
Post #12 of 16 (8492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Should we close the PCC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like how the forum is right now. This way it keeps the people not too interested in photography just pointlessly posting random things.

Paul_Y

Dec 22, 2008, 7:09 PM
Post #13 of 16 (8411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [churningindawake] Should we close the PCC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the idea of merging with the other photo forum. We will probably as churningindawake says get remarks from
In reply to:
people not too interested in photography just pointlessly posting random things
, but my goal is to be viewed and appreciated by the general climbing population ie viewers of climbing magazines. Getting critiques from both photographers and non photographers are both important to my learning curve.

popol

Jan 4, 2009, 9:50 PM
Post #14 of 16 (8283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dropping in after a few years, and I'm seeing this forum getting the latest reply on december 22 - now we're january 4. I think these topics would benefit from a little more traffic, so probably the merging is a good thing. But I'm not 100% sure, because all pics posted in the pic database can be critiqued on / voted on, and most of them don't get any critique either.

Partner j_ung

Mar 2, 2009, 4:48 PM
Post #15 of 16 (7669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Should we close the PCC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
If the critique forum were merged into the other photography forum then all critique threads may receive much more traffic. They would be open to all comers. That may be both bad and good. By and large though having anyone and everyone let you know that your photo either sucks or is great might help more people take great shots.

This forum may have served its purpose as a quarantine station when rc.com photos were being subjected to constant photo bombing. That may still occur in the future but with the ability to see publically who is doing the bombing then that may well preclude a lot of the bombing. One can simply send a PM to the bomber and call them out on their behaviour.

I think it may be a good thing to merge this forum with the other one. They are definitely closely related.

Good points. You know it is also possible to color the resulting merged forum blue.

Oh shit. I'm sorry Phil, I accidentally hit the edit button instead of the quote button. The last line is mine. The rest is yours.

Partner philbox

Mar 3, 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #16 of 16 (7650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
philbox wrote:

Oh shit. I'm sorry Phil, I accidentally hit the edit button instead of the quote button. The last line is mine. The rest is yours.

No worries Jay.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook