Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Texas Canyon closed due to fire?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jtmat

Dec 27, 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #1 of 7 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Texas Canyon closed due to fire?  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Texas_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know if Texas Canyon is covered under the Buckweed Fire Closure? According to the NFS map, it looks like it is, but I was wondering if it is still possible to get access somehow.

(This post was edited by jtmat on Dec 27, 2008, 10:31 AM)

donald949

Dec 30, 2008, 1:11 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jtmat] Texas Canyon closed due to fire? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jtmat wrote:
Does anyone know if Texas Canyon is covered under the Buckweed Fire Closure? According to the NFS map, it looks like it is, but I was wondering if it is still possible to get access somehow.
Hey JTmat, I headed out there two months ago to take my bro and his fam and the gate was closed and locked noting the road was closed for "Fire Closure." I don't know which fire it was, I think the last fire around there was over a year ago. Further more, the area around the gate was marked "No Parking." So we left and went back to Stoney.
Anyrate, I've never climbed there but was following the directions from the So Cal Sport Guide, so I can't other any more insight.
I'm also interested in what others know about climbing there, as I would like to take my family sometime.
Don

jtmat

Dec 30, 2008, 7:34 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Texas Canyon closed due to fire? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, Don.

I think we're gonna bypass the area. So far as I can tell, the closure has been extended to Nov 2009. If you were saying that it was closed a few months ago, I can only imagine that it is still closed.

We have never climbed there either. In the books, it looks perfect, but closed is closed. Hopefully, someone will have some more info.

- Jeff

donald949

Dec 31, 2008, 10:18 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeff, it would be interesting to know the extent of the closure. As the road was closed, and there was no parking, but can you still walk or mountain bike there?
Does anyone bother?
Anyone else have more info?
Thanks, Don

jtmat

Dec 31, 2008, 5:00 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

According to the NFS website, the closure is pretty definitive:

You check for yourself, but here is a link:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/orders/
Look under the Buckweed Fire Area Closure. There is a map that shows the closure area (Texas Canyon is in it) and a PDF with the closure order in which it says:
Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(a) and (b), and to protect natural resources and provide for public safety, the following acts are prohibited within the Buckweed Fire Rehabilitation Area of the Angeles National Forest.
This Order is effective from November 8, 2008 through November 7, 2009.
1. Going into or being upon National Forest System lands within the Buckweed Fire Rehabilitation Area, as described in Exhibit A and shown on Exhibit B. 36 CFR 261.53(e).
2. Being on any National Forest System road within the Buckweed Fire Rehabilitation Area, as described in Exhibit A and shown on Exhibit B. 36 CFR 261.54(e).
3. Being on any National Forest System trail within the Buckweed Fire Rehabilitation Area, as described in Exhibit A and shown on Exhibit B. 36 CFR 261.55(a).

Let's just hope that they don't extend the closure again.

Hope this helps.

- Jeff

donald949

Jan 5, 2009, 4:11 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jtmat wrote:
According to the NFS website, the closure is pretty definitive:

You check for yourself, but here is a link:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/orders/
Look under the Buckweed Fire Area Closure. There is a map that shows the closure area (Texas Canyon is in it) and a PDF with the closure order in which it says:
Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(a) and (b), and to protect natural resources and provide for public safety, the following acts are prohibited within the Buckweed Fire Rehabilitation Area of the Angeles National Forest.
This Order is effective from November 8, 2008 through November 7, 2009.
1. Going into or being upon National Forest System lands within the Buckweed Fire Rehabilitation Area, as described in Exhibit A and shown on Exhibit B. 36 CFR 261.53(e).
2. Being on any National Forest System road within the Buckweed Fire Rehabilitation Area, as described in Exhibit A and shown on Exhibit B. 36 CFR 261.54(e).
3. Being on any National Forest System trail within the Buckweed Fire Rehabilitation Area, as described in Exhibit A and shown on Exhibit B. 36 CFR 261.55(a).

Let's just hope that they don't extend the closure again.

Hope this helps.

- Jeff
Thanks for the info. Looks like Texas Canyon is out for a while. Don

dpotter05

Jun 24, 2009, 3:07 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Buckweed closure PDF has Texas Canyon within the boundaries of the closure area. But Google Maps says Texas Canyon is NOT within the Angeles National Forrest. The closure is by order of the Angeles National Forrest Park Supervisor, and it looks like it applies only to Angeles National Forrest land. Can the Park Supervisor close land that's outside the park?

Google Map marking Texas Canyon: http://tinyurl.com/nvluef

David

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$19.76 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$152.95 (10% off)
$44.96 (10% off)