RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

ike_bean

Jan 2, 2009, 6:00 AM
Post #1 of 5 (409 views)
Shortcut

Used Red Rocks Guidebook, anyone?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,
I'm heading out to Red Rocks for a few days in the beginning of March this year, and I need a guidebook. The obvious choice being Red Rocks: A Climber's Guide by Jerry Handren. I don't really like the idea of buying a brand new guidebook for a few days, especially because I might not make it back out to red rocks again until the guidebook is outdated. I was just wondering if anyone had a used guidebook laying around that they never planned on using again that they might be willing to part with.

wolfdog

Jan 2, 2009, 7:03 PM
Post #2 of 5 (378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ike_bean] Used Red Rocks Guidebook, anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! I doubt it will happen. You want one of the new Handren Red Rocks guides used, good luck. They are gold, and most people would sooner part with their grandmothers bible. Best guidebook ever. Photos and beta and layout all stellar. My hat is off to Jerry Handren for his efforts.

thedejongs

Jan 2, 2009, 7:13 PM
Post #3 of 5 (367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ike,

The "obvious choice" may be Handren. Depending on your climbing interests, you might consider the not-so-obvious choice of Jason Martin's nice tome: http://www.chesslerbooks.com/eCart/viewItem.asp?idProduct=8151

Jason's a friend of mine who has climbed and guided in Red Rocks for years and knows the place inside and out. I've heard him chatting with veteran Red Rock climbers about routes they've never even heard of. If the description fits what you're looking for, the book might be worth your while.

billcoe_

Jan 2, 2009, 7:15 PM
Post #4 of 5 (366 views)
Shortcut

Used Red Rocks Guidebook, anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What Wolfdog said.

You might consider doing a Supertopo e-book, as you get 3 years of updates for $15.37 (no shipping cost, save 24%)

http://www.supertopo.com/packs/redrocks.html

If you are dedicated to not getting a book, I think that's a worthy ideal as well. I'd suggest downloading the info from places like Supertopo and Mountainproject, then making a list of routes you'd like to do as well. When you show up, you could generally get pointed in the right direction by any climber you ask, and do the route based on your viewing from the base. I've done this with many routes and always find the extra routefinding and gear selection an interesting and often more memorable challenge. Generally if you chose this method, don't try to go for the max you are capable of - but back off a few grades unless an epic is something you are looking for.

Mountainproject has 927 Red Rocks routes listed. Should be enough to get you up a few choice routes. Check it out: http://www.mountainproject.com/...a/red_rock/105731932

Have fun and good luck!

flamer

Jan 3, 2009, 2:38 PM
Post #5 of 5 (313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ike,
I'll be out there in march....look me up I have the Handren guide and I know the canyons pretty well.

josh

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook