RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

tongueinbarbie

Jan 3, 2009, 1:29 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2391 views)
Shortcut

Printing C-41 Black and White
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can C-41 black and white negatives be printed with black and white paper developer(Agfa in this case)? It has a color negative base like color negatives and is the type used for gettting black and white prints from color one hour labs. I have some vacation shots I would like to print using black and white printing chemicals and black and white paper. Does anyone have experience with this? My 25 year old darkroom data guide does not have the needed updates on this info, and of course none was offered on the film box other than take it to a standard one hour lab.

kriso9tails

Jan 3, 2009, 1:47 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tongueinbarbie] Printing C-41 Black and White [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's fine. All that is required of the film is to act as a light filter; the chemistry that produced it is not relevant. I have used C41 black and white on occasion as well as couple of other film/ processing types (for special effects) and it's not an issue.

It would only be a problem if you were using black and white positive film (like Scala), in which case you would need an additional step to create a negative.

(This post was edited by kriso9tails on Jan 3, 2009, 1:48 AM)

ryanb

Jan 3, 2009, 3:03 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tongueinbarbie] Printing C-41 Black and White [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done this too, and i know people who used to print color negs on black and white paper (this results in some red/blue scewing i seem to recall?)...I think the short answer is, you may have to play with the contrast filters a bit (assuming you are using vc paper) to get a print you are happy with but it should be fine.

kriso9tails

Jan 3, 2009, 9:24 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] Printing C-41 Black and White [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
...i know people who used to print color negs on black and white paper (this results in some red/blue scewing i seem to recall?)

Most black and white papers are orthochromatic, so naturally they won't print any red light from a colour neg. On top of that, VC papers use blue and green sensitivity to determine contrast in the print so blue light from a colour neg should print more contrasty. If someone wanted to create an accurate black and white print from a colour neg they would need to be printing on panchromatic black and white paper.

(This post was edited by kriso9tails on Jan 3, 2009, 9:31 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook