Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Lock your car and hide everything!!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

thatguy513

Jan 6, 2009, 7:07 AM
Post #1 of 18 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Lock your car and hide everything!!!  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: New_River_Gorge_Region: Gauley_River___Tributaries__Summersville_: Summersville_Lake)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you don't already do so, please do this when parking at the lot off Hwy 19.

Someone busted out my window in an attempt to steal stuff out of my truck around 3:15pm last Saturday. Luckily, one of my friends was asleep in the back seat and the robber didn't see them and when they awoke they scared the robber off and called the police. There were three other cars in the lot, it was broad daylight, and we were parked right next to the highway.

Set your alarm, lock up your stuff/ leave it at home, hide what you can, do what you have to... Just know that this kind of crap happened at this spot and we all know the hike back is not short.

This is a great place to climb and I will be back; however, I was lucky...kinda... and noone wants to come back with everything gone.

asiaclimber

Jan 6, 2009, 7:37 AM
Post #2 of 18 (9627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thatguy513] Lock your car and hide everything!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

are you talking about by NRG? similar thing happened to me and a friend there 2 years ago. we ended up walking up on the guys as they were about to bang out his window.

granite_grrl

Jan 6, 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #3 of 18 (9574 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That sucks dude, sucks that you're now out a window, but at least that's all you're out.

Keeping your stuff out of sight/not having it in your car in the first place is generally a good idea for any climbing parking area.

markc

Jan 6, 2009, 3:10 PM
Post #4 of 18 (9505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Lock your car and hide everything!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On top of that, it's wise to have renter's insurance or homeowner's insurance that covers theft. There are countless threads here where people lost out big-time due to break-ins.

shockabuku

Jan 6, 2009, 3:31 PM
Post #5 of 18 (9483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Burglar, not robber. Like this:

Robbery is the crime of seizing property through violence or intimidation.

Burglary... is a crime the essence of which is entry into a building for the purposes of committing an offence. Usually that offence will be theft...

Bummer about your window. Happened to me once, I ended up driving around with a piece of plexiglass duct taped over my passenger window for a couple of weeks.

dingus

Jan 6, 2009, 3:31 PM
Post #6 of 18 (9482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Lock your car and hide everything!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I walked away from my jeep while skiing just before christmas. I left the tailgate propped open with a spare ski pole!

Inside were fatty skis, lots of back country equipment, my wallet, iPod and cell,,, etc etc etc.

When I came back 3 hours later I nearly shat my britches when I saw what I had done.

NOTHING WAS MISSING!

Amazing huh? Man am I LUCKY.

Bear Valley. A testament to the folks who ski and work there.

Sorry for your loss. I've had my car broken into twice while climbing, I know well how it feels.

DMT

USnavy

Jan 6, 2009, 3:46 PM
Post #7 of 18 (9460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Lock your car and hide everything!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, keeping your vehicle unlocked exponentially reduces the chances of someone breaking the window. No need to break the window if it’s unlocked. Equally, keeping your vehicle empty also reduces the chances of someone breaking in. No need to break in if there is nothing to take.

suilenroc

Jan 6, 2009, 4:08 PM
Post #8 of 18 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say leave your car unlocked with nothing it it... Hopefully the bubbas will pull the handle before they try the window!

markc

Jan 6, 2009, 4:47 PM
Post #9 of 18 (9381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Lock your car and hide everything!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Actually, keeping your vehicle unlocked exponentially reduces the chances of someone breaking the window. No need to break the window if it’s unlocked. Equally, keeping your vehicle empty also reduces the chances of someone breaking in. No need to break in if there is nothing to take.

If you walk to the crag, there's not even the chance of someone stealing your car. Brilliant!

Never leaving anything in the car may be sound in theory, there aren't always better options. I've been on many trips where large items are either in your tent or your car. One is entirely insecure, and hiding items in the other isn't always possible. (I drive a Cherokee on some trips, so I make it look as unappealing as possible and take small items of value with me.)

In other threads, people have suggested installing lock boxes, using wire mesh security thingamabobs, or otherwise making your car the least attractive target. I recommend insurance as a good back-up.

Hennessey

Jan 6, 2009, 11:59 PM
Post #10 of 18 (9237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard about break-ins here from a couple of people. Every time I go to the NRG I only bring what I can carry in my pack. I usually leave the doors unlocked to prevent the whole window breaking thing.

meahtots

Jan 7, 2009, 5:49 AM
Post #11 of 18 (9183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Lock your car and hide everything!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
[
If you walk to the crag, there's not even the chance of someone stealing your car. Brilliant!
not exactly....

markc

Jan 7, 2009, 1:58 PM
Post #12 of 18 (9130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meahtots] Lock your car and hide everything!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

meahtots wrote:
markc wrote:
not exactly....

I was being facetious.

williamjbauer

Jan 8, 2009, 9:09 PM
Post #13 of 18 (9035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems like if you climb at the New long enough, your car will eventually be broken into. I have a personal squad of squirrels with fricken lasers on their heads as my car guardians. Plus I usually only leave about $3 worth of stuff in the car.

General advice: check with your Renter's/Homeowners insurance to see if your policy is for "replacement value". If so they will reimburse you for the current value of the items, otherwise you might eat the cost of the stole goods' depreciated value.

My renter's insurance is $100 annually and covers the replacement value of stolen items.

Partner j_ung

Jan 8, 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #14 of 18 (8993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [williamjbauer] Lock your car and hide everything!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

williamjbauer wrote:
It seems like if you climb at the New long enough, your car will eventually be broken into.

It's not that bad, but yeah... Summersville, Bubba City, occasionally Endless Wall. Those appear to be the spots that get hit most. I hear of a break in probably twice a year or so.

mega

Jan 8, 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #15 of 18 (8977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear that - I had about $2k of stuff (including my wallet, wedding band and keychain) ripped off at Red Rocks a few months ago - the thief shattered the window of my rental car and popped open the trunk from inside the car where the goodies were stored (I might have been watched when I was storing items). Nothing ruins a good day of climbing like coming back to that. The dirtbag that did this was caught, at least, and is awaiting sentancing for stealing a car in a different incident.

I learned the hard way (from advice from others) on what to do going forward:
- When possible, just keep a photocopied version of your license, and don't leave it in the car.
- Wallet, cards, etc., keep on you while climbing.
- Put your valuables in the trunk or out of sight before arriving at the parking lot, in case you are being watched.
- As someone else stated, if there is nothing of value in the car, leave it unlocked to avoid damage to the vehicle. If someone wants to get in, they will get in.
- For road tripping, someone in an old post on the topic of theft stated that they somehow bolted a locked storage box in the back of their wagon. Sounded like a great idea.
- Homeowners / Renters insurance is a good thing. Though I have a $500 deductable, I'll be getting most of the value of my stuff back.

williamjbauer

Jan 8, 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #16 of 18 (8974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Lock your car and hide everything!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There must be a disproportionate number of my friends who had break-ins because I know at least 4 different friends that have had some altercation with their car (windows, stolen stuff, tires). Most are pretty responsible and not really asking for it, but I guess it is just luck of the draw.

I don't think it should cause anyone to be wary, better just to be aware of the issue. One consistency has been when there is only one or two vehicle around in a lot, but who knows what inspires someone to do that.

mega

Jan 8, 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #17 of 18 (8961 views)
Shortcut

Re: [williamjbauer] Lock your car and hide everything!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

williamjbauer wrote:
One consistency has been when there is only one or two vehicle around in a lot, but who knows what inspires someone to do that.

That was indeed the case when it happened to me. I guess in those situations there is less of a chance of others returning to their vehicles and seeing something, especially at a climbing area where it is assumed the driver won't be coming back to the car for awhile.

alexoverhere

Jan 12, 2009, 9:08 AM
Post #18 of 18 (8778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mega] Lock your car and hide everything!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, and not to state the obvious, but when there are many cars in the parking lot, your car has a much lower probability of getting broken into, assuming the thief chooses somewhat randomly.

Sorry for your losses. I hear about this happening all the time at Roadside and other crags at the Red. Once we talked with a local at Miguel's (gear / pizza shop) who had run into some of the regular thieves. They had tried to sell him a bunch of obviously stolen climbing gear really cheap. He said that he was in the process of buying it off of them (for $20!) with the intention getting it back to its owner through Miguel's, when the cops pulled up. The thieves were arrested, but apparently it wasn't the first time.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook