Premier Sponsor:

broganadams
Deleted

Aug 22, 2001, 9:25 PM
Post #1 of 10 (5584 views)
Shortcut

hardest indoor wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

They chang all the time. Call your local Gym I bet they have a fancy one in Vegas.

compclimber

Aug 22, 2001, 9:43 PM
Post #2 of 10 (5582 views)
Shortcut

hardest indoor wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Rockin and Jammin" in Thorton Colorado has this overhanging nasty flare of a crack that has not been climbed since they opened. Tommy Caldwell put about two weeks of effort into it and got it with one fall. Supposedly you get a free gym membership if you can climb it.

ANY TAKER'S ????

wigglestick

Aug 22, 2001, 10:39 PM
Post #3 of 10 (5582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

compclimber, which crack is that. I climb at rockn and jamn often. Is it the one in the back in a corner across from the slabbiest walls or is it in the front of the gym on the right (standing at the front door and facing the room). Not that I stand a chance but that is good trivia to know.

compclimber

Aug 22, 2001, 11:05 PM
Post #4 of 10 (5582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its the one in the back across from the slabby part that starts with off hands and gets smaller the higher you get. Its the one in the middle of the the back wall not the one to the far left that use's pin scars although that one is hard too like 12/12+.

bsperes

Oct 22, 2001, 10:01 PM
Post #5 of 10 (5582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stone Gardens in Seattle has some lead routes that are mostly or at least at lot more horizontal that vertical. I was only there for bouldering for the day but it was the scariest looking wall I have ever seen.

Defy Gravity

climber_girl

Oct 24, 2001, 1:56 AM
Post #6 of 10 (5582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it would prbably be the one in my basement. I mean it may not be very tall(at all) but its a toughy. You have to climb plastic that is alot tougher than saran wrap but kinda the same idea and then dyno to the room and grab onto the boards. I mena how much harder can it get. Sorry ppl that was juist a joke, getting kinda bored of begging my parents to let me build one!

Also I don;t reccomend trying what i said becuase it could end up really painful in the end!

[ This Message was edited by: climber_girl on 2001-10-23 18:58 ]

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 24, 2001, 8:29 PM
Post #7 of 10 (5582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any overhang can be the hardest, just go mono to mono using your pinkies in the bolt holes.

rrrADAM

rck_climber

Oct 24, 2001, 8:45 PM
Post #8 of 10 (5582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few of my friends ask me something like that when I start talking about climbing, "Well, what's the hardest ever done?" And I used to reply (until Realization) "5.14d".

"So what's that like?"

(In the spirit of the movie Twister, what's an F5 - finger of God)

I always reply, "Inverted Glass!"

Just reminded me of that. As the others say, indoor walls are always changing and I'm sure just about any gym in the country could put a 5.14, even a 5.15c or something, up - something that no one can climb, but how much business do you think they'd get w/ that?

Mick

metoliusmunchkin

Oct 24, 2001, 10:00 PM
Post #9 of 10 (5582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of the hardest gym routes, my dad says that he has found the hardest piece of rock, near his house. He says that it is really hard, though has just enough holds to do it, he declares 5.15, and I sort of agree with him. I am anxious to see someone climb it and prove us wrong, but I don't think that's going to happen, not in our area anyways.

I think that with a gym, since all of the holds are apparant, the grade of a route can more easily be determined as easy, medium, hard, sick. Though with rock, it is much more deceiving since all of the holds are hidden. If someone were to put up a 5.14, 5.13, or even 5.30, in a gym, it would easily be recognised as that grade, and not as many people would try it. (As you said rck_climber, that wouldn't increase business). Though, on rock, it is much harder to tell if a route is a 5.13, or 14, or 15, so more people would try it, simply to declare in their own minds what type of grade it is, without simply looking at it from down below.

-Pat

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 24, 2001, 11:54 PM
Post #10 of 10 (5582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RC, I get the same questions from nonclimbers, and I just reply, "It's like climbing stucco."

rrrADAM

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook