Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
red rock loop road speed trap @ icebox canyon - $425!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

alexoverhere

Jan 12, 2009, 8:31 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1793 views)
Shortcut

red rock loop road speed trap @ icebox canyon - $425!!  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I visited Red Rocks for the second time in late December. I'd borrowed my dad's big GMC van, and was with a couple friends driving between 25-40 mph through Red Rock Loop Road, where the posted speed limit is 35 mph throughout. That is, except right past the Ice Box Canyon pull-out, where, for about 30 meters, the speed limit drops down to 15 mph. Speed trap from hell.

Talking to my friends and trying to find the pine creek pull-out, I didn't notice the change in the speed limit, and drove through the speed trap at 39mph. A BLM cop pulled me over and gave me a $425 ticket ($400 for the ticket, $25 for the "processing fee"). Although I was really, really bummed after the ticket, I successfully led my first multipitch route (Johnny Vegas) that day, which prevented my trip from being ruined.

Anyway, just thought I'd warn everyone. On the upside, the cost of the ticket's given me an excuse to fly out there in a few weeks and try to get my fine reduced (which means more climbing!).

roth

Mar 2, 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1628 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexoverhere] red rock loop road speed trap @ icebox canyon - $425!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there a while back and saw that, but slipped on by without a ticket.

Virtually every traffic stop I've ever had was driving to climbing. It wouldn't be a bad idea for this forum to have an area dedicated to reporting these things, or just general things to avoid that could save lots of us serious headache. Road trips in particular bring climbers to places unknown and the traps are everywhere.

I found a site with info on avoiding the cops on climbing road trips, including a link to lists of known speed traps all over the USA the site is http://www.climbingaction.com. Look for the "Cop free road trip link."

Hope this helps!

altelis

Mar 2, 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roth] red rock loop road speed trap @ icebox canyon - $425!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Here's my advice: Watch. The. Fucking. Road.

Especially!!!!!!!! when driving fast.

If you wanna look at the ipod, nav system, talk to your buds in the backseat by looking into the rearview mirror- fine. Just drive the speed limit. At least no more than 5 over....

Yea. I drive fast. But if you keep your eyes on the road you'll never miss a cop. Ever. If you are an actual attentive driver its almost impossible to miss that cop.

I'm always picking out the cops on the road: speed traps, cops behind me, undercover cops in front of me, etc.

Like I said- if you wanna drive fast be a responsible drive. If you can't tell your buds the position of every car on the road within 5 seconds of your position, in my opinion, your unsafe.

You must be one of those people who get into an accident and explain "Officer, that car just came outa nowhere!"

desertwanderer81

Mar 2, 2009, 7:33 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexoverhere] red rock loop road speed trap @ icebox canyon - $425!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is their most popular spot for traffic stops.

They'll have someone there about 1 weekend out of 5 or so.

Anyhow, you really should be slowing down at that specific spot because it goes right through the parking lot for icebox canyon and there are little kids running back and forth frequently.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook