RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Adk

Jan 10, 2009, 7:45 AM
Post #1 of 9 (919 views)
Shortcut

PM Notifications
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there a way to program the site...or whatever, LOL so that the sender of a PM is notified when a PM they sent to someone was opened?
If not, is it possible to do?

Partner j_ung

Jan 12, 2009, 7:40 AM
Post #2 of 9 (895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] PM Notifications [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure it's possible, but probably not anytime soon, I'm afraid. There's a lot on the proverbial plate right now and it's already happening sort of frustratingly slow. Unsure

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jan 12, 2009, 7:41 AM)

mojomonkey

Jan 12, 2009, 8:31 AM
Post #3 of 9 (885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] PM Notifications [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And, if the above feature is implemented, I'd like one to not "auto-notify" somebody that I read their message. I'm a sneaky guy and like to avoid monitoring.

Adk

Jan 13, 2009, 6:43 AM
Post #4 of 9 (871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] PM Notifications [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand. I would think a site this large could be quite busy. CrazyCrazy

Adk

Jan 13, 2009, 6:49 AM
Post #5 of 9 (871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] PM Notifications [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
And, if the above feature is implemented, I'd like one to not "auto-notify" somebody that I read their message. I'm a sneaky guy and like to avoid monitoring.

There are already email systems out there that as soon as you open one the sender knows. The business world is full of them to help hold people accountable for what they read.
I know of one business that if an employee says they didn't get several emails they ask to see their email inbox folder right in front of them. If they have opened other email but not opened repeated emails from the same sender, they get FIRED!!!!!

It's sort of like the notion that a moderator or administrator should not be able to contact you. To me there should be no choice as a term of becoming a member. You should always be able to be contacted by someone or at least sent a notification of some sort if need be.

(This post was edited by Adk on Jan 13, 2009, 6:50 AM)

mojomonkey

Jan 13, 2009, 7:45 AM
Post #6 of 9 (867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Differing viewpoints, I guess.

Adk wrote:
There are already email systems out there that as soon as you open one the sender knows. The business world is full of them to help hold people accountable for what they read.

The fact that I clicked on your message doesn't mean it was read. I may have mis-clicked, or interrupted to do something else. Or decided I didn't have time for your concern at the moment after a quick scan.

By the way, I disable automatic read receipts for outlook mail at work as well.

Adk wrote:
I know of one business that if an employee says they didn't get several emails they ask to see their email inbox folder right in front of them. If they have opened other email but not opened repeated emails from the same sender, they get FIRED!!!!!

What a strange concept. Sounds like its probably a crappy place to work if they can't sort their communications out better than firing people for e-mail reading habits. I can't imagine why a company would need such a specific policy.

Adk wrote:
It's sort of like the notion that a moderator or administrator should not be able to contact you. To me there should be no choice as a term of becoming a member. You should always be able to be contacted by someone or at least sent a notification of some sort if need be.

It is not at all similar. And there are sites where you can be a member (or use, since the concept of membership is then a little different) without providing contact info. Besides, throwaway addresses are easy, so it is easy to get around for sites that want one anyway.

Adk

Jan 14, 2009, 2:35 PM
Post #7 of 9 (850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
It is not at all similar. And there are sites where you can be a member (or use, since the concept of membership is then a little different) without providing contact info. Besides, throwaway addresses are easy, so it is easy to get around for sites that want one anyway.

Sure it is and ISP addresses aren't too awful throwaway

We do have different opinions and that is cool
Most of us do not mind being held accountable for our actions or lack thereof unless there is a reason to "hide"
What we "think" and what we know are many times two different things. Very similar to this thread drift.

As for the accountability of email from this company. Welcome to the modern world!!!! When a company is held together by email and telephone and not snail mail and smoke signals you have to hold people accountable. It is not McDonaldsWink Sorry you feel this is wrong but get ready for more businesses to enact this measure especially when its business is nationwide and not only in some hole in the wall, USA town.

mojomonkey

Jan 14, 2009, 4:06 PM
Post #8 of 9 (848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
Sure it is and ISP addresses aren't too awful throwaway

If you want them to be, they can be.

Adk wrote:
We do have different opinions and that is cool

I agree

Adk wrote:
Most of us do not mind being held accountable for our actions or lack thereof unless there is a reason to "hide"

Being monitored, and being held accountable for my actions are two different things. And don't even start on trying to justify monitoring with weak "if you have nothing to hide..." appeals.

Adk wrote:
What we "think" and what we know are many times two different things. Very similar to this thread drift.

I have no idea what you are getting at.

But I don't see this as much of a drift. You requested a feature. I dislike that suggestion and suggested a feature that allowed me to turn it off.

Adk wrote:
As for the accountability of email from this company. Welcome to the modern world!!!! When a company is held together by email and telephone and not snail mail and smoke signals you have to hold people accountable. It is not McDonaldsWink Sorry you feel this is wrong but get ready for more businesses to enact this measure especially when its business is nationwide and not only in some hole in the wall, USA town.

Ah, here comes some drift...

Well, we are allowed to, and I have personally, disabled auto-notifications for e-mail at the company I work at. And it isn't tiny or US-only. Do you need a confirmation that someone listened to (or skipped, or deleted) your voicemail? You don't need to surreptitiously monitor coworkers. There are other, better ways to deal with them.

And yes, I get that Jay could look up my IP address, or see if I'd read a message. Clearly I am fine with that. That doesn't mean I think you and every other random person on the web should be able to.

Truth be told, I don't even really like that anybody can check your "last login time". I'd rather there were some options there - display to nobody, only logged on users, only those on your friend list...

Adk

Jan 15, 2009, 5:45 AM
Post #9 of 9 (835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mojo, Good luck in your future endeavors.
Welcome to being monitored/ "watched" here.Wink

Climb hard

Adk

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$80.06 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)
$101.92 (10% off)