Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Utah (near Price) climbing, biking, skiing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

nbujak

Jan 15, 2009, 1:03 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Utah (near Price) climbing, biking, skiing  (North_America: United_States: Utah)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm being offered a three year contract to work in Price, Utah. I mountain bike and climb. I do alot of sport but would love to visit indian creek. Not too thrilled about crumbling desert towers. I also snowboard. Can anyone help me by telling me how far away l'll be from all the fun stuff. Is there good sport climbing? Can I climb in the winter? In the summer? Waht are the distances to travel? Anu help would be appreciated

sidepull

Jan 15, 2009, 1:19 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nbujak] Utah (near Price) climbing, biking, skiing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never lived in Price but I visiting 10-12 times per year for most of my life.

Great bouldering - Price Canyon has a nice little area, Triassic is so close, and Joe's is very close as well.

Climbing - Well, you're close to Moab. There are some really good lines in the San Rafael Swell but not a high concentration. Moab is really close (google it for distance/time) and that offers great crack climbing as well as high-end sport.

Mtn Biking - There's great trails all over the outskirts of Price, Spanish Fork Canyon, Helper, etc. There are also infinite trails across the Swell. Again, Moab is really close.

Snowboarding - I think you're a bit screwed here. You're going to have to drive 2 hours to SLC.

Price itself isn't the most exciting place to live. It has some great, little ethnic restaurants that are kind of throw backs to when it was a boil pot of miners. There's a fun natural history museum. That's about it.

Honestly, the proximity to the San Rafael Swell provides a huge number of outdoor activities. It would be a National Park in any other state but Utah (and it's nice that it's not a NP because it keeps the tourists away).

Good luck!

theguy

Jan 15, 2009, 1:25 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're about 2.5/3 hours south of great skiing in SLC, 1.5 hours to adequate skiing at Sundance.

Same for Wasatch climbing, also folks are starting to open up climbing areas right along Hwy 6 west of Price, and Maple Canyon would be about an hour west. Hour or two south of you is loads of bouldering (Triassic, Joe's, etc.), also good Indian Creek training ground (more SE), and further south yet Indian Creek.

You can climb south of you in winter, and north of you in summer.

Other than that, Price is truly in the middle of nowhere, unless you really like desert golf.

ddriver

Jan 22, 2009, 9:51 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theguy] Utah (near Price) climbing, biking, skiing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a little crag in Price that's covered in the Falcon guide to Utah. Have not climbed there, so cannot comment. Maple is not so far away. There are sport routes in Ephraim Canyon, other side of the Wasatch Plateau from Price, and there is quite a bit of new route potential in a number of other Wasatch Plateau canyons. I think there are parts of Joe's that have route potential. If you're interested in new routes, I'd think you could do a lot. Fairview Canyon used to have a ski resort of sorts and they still (I think) have some kind of locals ski club there. If you're into to touring, that area would be a lot of fun.

kennoyce

Jan 22, 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As has been said, right in price there isn't that much, but you are very close to some prime areas. I'm trying to remember exactly how long it takes to get to san rafiel swell from price, but it couldn't be more than 45 minutes and it's one of the coolest places ever. Dylan wall in the swell is very much like indian creek just without the people. If you are into developing routes there is an endless potential within 45 minutes from price in several directions. I have always wanted to put up some sport routes on the cliffs along Highway 6 that goes from price north to salt lake. Plus as has been said, Moab is only like 1.5 hours from price, and IC is just under an hour further. As for snowboarding, You'll probably want to go to SLC but really its only like 2 hours away, so you're not that screwed. PM me if you ever want to do anything, I live in SLC, but it's not that far away.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook