Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
E-rock/reimers
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cngilchrist

Jan 19, 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2184 views)
Shortcut

E-rock/reimers  (North_America: United_States: Texas: South_Central_Texas)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know if these places have areas to learn sport climbing? Been bouldering for awhile and trying to make it over to do some sport.

acorneau

Jan 20, 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2154 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cngilchrist] E-rock/reimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, they do.

Not a good idea to figure it out yourself, get someone who knows what they're doing to show you.

Austin Greenbelt is another great place to learn, with several easy (5.6) leads available and groups of Austin climbers out there willing to teach noobies.

Check out the forum at: http://www.erockonline.com/

kachoong

Jan 20, 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, there's a few relatively easy climbs at Seismic Wall in the Greenbelt and also on Dead Cats Wall at Reimers.

E-Rock is not a place to consider learning sport climbing.

justroberto

Jan 20, 2009, 1:47 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] E-rock/reimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:

Sure it is; they just need to let us know when they're going so we can watch. The gumby antics were freaking hilarious this weekend...

cngilchrist

Jan 20, 2009, 8:11 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] E-rock/reimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I am going to try to find a guide to take me and one of my friends

justroberto

Jan 20, 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cngilchrist wrote:

Very good. Check out Mountain Madness and Rock-About for central Tejas climbing. If you're not looking to pay for a guide, buyer beware. There are a ton of knowledgeable climbers in Centex, but for every one of those there are 2 or 3 jackasses who know just enough to be dangerous to themselves and the people around them. As has been mentioned in another recent thread, if you don't already know the difference between the two, it will be hard for you to figure it out on your own. Chances are, the "totally psyched" guy at the gym who offers to take you out will be of the latter variety.

kachoong

Jan 21, 2009, 5:57 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2056 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] E-rock/reimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Sure it is; they just need to let us know when they're going so we can watch. The gumby antics were freaking hilarious this weekend...

Laugh Always good to watch... hopefully they're learning something at the same time... and without incident.

justroberto wrote:
cngilchrist wrote:

Very good. Check out Mountain Madness and Rock-About for central Tejas climbing. If you're not looking to pay for a guide, buyer beware. There are a ton of knowledgeable climbers in Centex, but for every one of those there are 2 or 3 jackasses who know just enough to be dangerous to themselves and the people around them. As has been mentioned in another recent thread, if you don't already know the difference between the two, it will be hard for you to figure it out on your own. Chances are, the "totally psyched" guy at the gym who offers to take you out will be of the latter variety.

Good advice...

cngilchrist... unless you can find someone you can trust, an organized group would be best.

(This post was edited by kachoong on Jan 21, 2009, 5:58 AM)

cngilchrist

Jan 21, 2009, 9:24 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] E-rock/reimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys

musicman1586

Jan 21, 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2004 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] E-rock/reimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
Yeah, there's a few relatively easy climbs at Seismic Wall in the Greenbelt and also on Dead Cats Wall at Reimers.

I think that's all a matter of perspective. Yeah, E-Rock is run out in a vast collection of the bolted routes, but lots of climbers "grew up" in old-school places where the only type of sport routes are ground-up bolted, run out, and not bolted like a gym. That's the way things are done and were done in lots of places around the world, and beginners just started off on a different foot than many climbers in Austin did. There is not a reason at all that you can't learn how to sport climb out at E-Rock, and if you start there and are learn to be comfortable leading such pitches, you'll have an easy time climbing in other areas (Yosemite for example) where you might easily encounter similar run outs. Clipping a bolt is clipping a bolt, doesn't matter if it is 5 feet apart of 50. I'd even say that depending on what gumbies are out there that day, you might be safer on a run out slab than around dead cat's, as I've lost count of the number of times I've seen people almost deck, back flip, back clip several draws in a row etc. the amount of disinformation going around some of the groups out there frightens me.

Anyways, to get some extra info check out the Austin Climbers yahoo group, it is just a forum of people that post up when they are going out basically. Go on there, tell them you are new to roped climbing and I'm sure there will be lots of responses of people willing to let you tag along for the day and teach you what you need to know. I'm still down from sickness, so I probably won't be out this weekend, but there's always people out at Reimer's and the Greenbelt.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook