RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

wildbill

Nov 18, 2002, 8:14 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2063 views)
Shortcut

Exercises for weak shoulders?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,

I am just now getting interested in climbing again. A few years back I started hittin the climbing gyms pretty hard trying to get some technique down before getting on any walls. I had shoulder problems for years before that, but when I started climbing my shoulder's started feeling worst. Turns out I had some big problems with both shoulders and ended up needing reconstructive surgery on both of them one year apart from each other. Anyway it has been a year since my last surgery and I'm getting the bug to give climbing another try. The problem I have lost at least 75% of my upper body strength.

Anybody got any good exercises that would speed up my process that could get me back into it a little quicker? Any help would be great

rck_climber

Nov 18, 2002, 9:04 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2063 views)
Shortcut

Exercises for weak shoulders? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you on a physical therapy regimen? I have MDI (multi-directional instability) in both of my shoulders and the PT regimen my surgeon has me on has done quite a bit for strengthening my shoulders and reducing the number of dislocations greatly.

Mick

krillen

Nov 18, 2002, 9:13 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make sure to THOROUGHLY stretch them out before you begin. Then work some Dumbell raises (both front and side). Start out small and give it time.

Try some military presses with benchpress bar.

Also try shrugging your shoulders with weights in your hands at your sides.

Finally try pulling a weight across you body in the motion you would use to start a lawnmower.

In all of these start very light. You are going ot be suceptible reinjury for quite a while. EASE into it.

josher

Nov 18, 2002, 9:20 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive had sholder problems too. I took of time, excercised and still aches after climbing. What was the problem. Mine stemed back to a dislocation 15 years ago! Dr. mentioned it could be surgical.

Climbing had been the best excercise for me.

thomasribiere

Nov 18, 2002, 9:29 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say to avoid overhangings crags at the beginning, do more slabs (I hate slabs)...

wildbill

Nov 18, 2002, 10:12 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the help guys. I hate having these problems taking it easy makes me feel like a p***y. On the other hand don't wanna kill myself either. Gonna go get some small weights tonight.

jgill

Nov 23, 2002, 4:54 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't really add any ideas about shoulder exercises that haven't been mentioned. What I can tell you is that as you get older you need to be aware that shoulders may constitute a potentially chronic problem. At 65, my shoulders give me the most trouble, although after I get warmed up I don't notice them much. Pat Ament (55) has severe shoulder problems now. He can't pull up. Tom Higgins, who is about my age I think, has really bad one's too, as wqell as suffering a bad back. Dave Rearick (68)(FA the Diamond) had it so bad he could not raise his arms above his head. Bob Kamps (70)does special exercises to keep his shoulders functioning. The list goes on. . .

Funny, Pete Cleveland once told me that finger strength was the first to go with advancing age. I have not found this to be true. Shoulders are the anatomical parts to look out for!

thomasribiere

Nov 23, 2002, 10:11 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

couldn't SWIMMING help?

layed_back

Nov 24, 2002, 3:11 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think swimming helps alot for me. It gives me more rotation in my shoulders. After I swim my shoulders don't pop anymore. It is a great exercise to loosen them up.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook