RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

danskiz

Jan 26, 2009, 4:33 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2584 views)
Shortcut

climbing camera
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new camera, and curious if there's any suggestions out there as to certain models to look at.

I'm not looking for a dSLR, I'm more of a point and shoot guy. The last camera I bought (Fugi finepix S602Z, in 2003), I'm still using, and it takes great pictures, has very little delay between shots, and has 6x optical zoom. Problem is it is as bulky as an slr, and weighs 21 ounces. Too often I don't bring it with me on a climb due to the weight. I originally got it to be able to learn how to play with the manual settings, and eventually step into an slr, but have since realized I really have no interest in learning the settings!! I just want a camera that is light, and takes good pictures on auto.

My biggest pet peve with cameras is the lag between shots, so a short lag is a must. The faster the better.
Size is less important, It don't have to be tiny, really little buttons suck anyway, weight on the other hand I would like to keep to a minimum.
It don't have to be a 10 meg camera. My current camera is only 3.1 meg, and any print size I ever use, that has been just fine.
I would like to be able to take short video clips at least at vga, and 25 or so fps.
Speed is key, not only between shots, but also startup and shutdown. I basically want to be able to pull the camera anytime, fire off a few shots, and quickly stow it back away.
Optical zoom is a must, hopefully at least 6X, the faster zoom the better. I realize especially in low light, really fast zoom in a point and shoot may be asking for a lot.
I'm not afraid to spend some money on it, if I find what I'm looking for.
Any suggestions?

Myxomatosis

Jan 27, 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [danskiz] climbing camera [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just look at the high end cameras coming out from Canon... the G10 or the SX100 IS.

You won't have any trouble with picture lag in most cameras made these days. Also once you own a 10mp camera you probably won't need to upgrade it for quite a long time Smile

danskiz

Jan 29, 2009, 4:59 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] climbing camera [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestions. I also posted the question on a couple photography forums, and I got those two suggestions, and suggestions for the TZ5. I looked at a ton of different cameras, compared back and forth, and ended up going with the TZ5. It looks like the perfect balance between performance and speed, and weight, and set up just perfect for a point and shoot guy!

truello

Feb 5, 2009, 4:29 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [danskiz] climbing camera [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While I agree that anything over 8mp starts to be overkill, there is often one reason I am very glad my camera is 12.2 megapixels.

Cropping. There are a ton of situations where I either don't get the composition I want the first time, or zoom as far as I can with 300mm lens and still want the image to be a little more full frame.

With more megapixels to choose from, the end result of the crop is typically sharp enough for print/web quality.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook