RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

bigfatrock

Jan 21, 2009, 8:21 PM
Post #1 of 13 (4971 views)
Shortcut

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Access Issues
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.wichitamountains.org/accessalert.html

Please act NOW.

Also the above link suggests emailing congressman and senators, but HAND WRITTEN letters are far more effective.

(This post was edited by bigfatrock on Jan 21, 2009, 8:23 PM)

rockforlife

Jan 21, 2009, 8:22 PM
Post #2 of 13 (4968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bigfatrock wrote:

http://www.wichitamountains.org/accessalert.html

Please act NOW.

Also the above link suggests emailing congressman and senators, but HAND WRITTEN letters are far more effective.

Fixed

okieterry

Jan 21, 2009, 9:10 PM
Post #3 of 13 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks bigfatrock for getting this started. We need lots of help with this. There is new management at the refuge and we can't be too sure about where they might go with this. Although we knew that they were planning to conduct this study, they only gave a one week notice of their intent and schedule to hold public meetings.
We need support at the meetings and letters.
Thank you for your help.
Terry

pendereki

Jan 22, 2009, 2:10 AM
Post #4 of 13 (4934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [okieterry] Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Two months ago while visiting the Wichita Wildlife Refuge, I stopped by the Visitor Center. The woman at the front desk said, upon hearing that I was a climber, "Oh, you are one of those!" and also, "The new manager is thinking about banning climbing." She was not knowledgeable at all about rock climbing but was obviously repeating what she had heard. She was also not at all friendly towards me, apparently only because I was a climber. We visited for about five minutes. I was left very worried for the future of climbing in the Wichitas and vowed to get involved to save our access.

i am taking this very seriously. I will be writing (by hand, I guess) and attending any meetings I can. 25 years climbing in the Wichitas, I could not stand it if things changed!

Chad

Bats

Jan 22, 2009, 2:56 AM
Post #5 of 13 (4924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is not cool. Probably going to allowed an off road track for 4 wheelers. Not cool. I was planning to climb there in April. I went there about 11 years ago, bc(before climbing), and thought it was a cool place.

acorneau

Jan 22, 2009, 4:15 PM
Post #6 of 13 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bats wrote:
This is not cool. Probably going to allowed an off road track for 4 wheelers. Not cool. I was planning to climb there in April. I went there about 11 years ago, bc(before climbing), and thought it was a cool place.

My girlfriend and I are planning to go out there over the first weekend in April. Maybe we can meet up.

She has been there before and has told me about how beautiful it is. I will be very disappointed if climbing gets shut down and/or they allow 4-wheeling.
Frown

bigfatrock

Jan 22, 2009, 6:48 PM
Post #7 of 13 (4891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI, from what I am hearing it's not likely it will get shut down for climbing and I SERIOUSLY doubt they will allow ATV's. You aren't even allowed to use power drills when replacing old bolts. If you had that kind of noise going on then it would no longer be a wildlife refuge, then again the jets that fly over from the air force base are louder.

The important thing is to speak up and make your voice heard. Let them know you want to see access available for hikers and climbers alike.

osu_cowboy

Jan 22, 2009, 9:07 PM
Post #8 of 13 (4868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in nearby Oklahoma City and have spent lots of time hiking and camping in the refuge. The Wichita Mountains are actually one of the reasons I started climbing. It would be a shame to deny people access for recreational events. If you have never been, it is a beautiful place, especially for Oklahoma. I will be sure to send my letters and comments to do my part.

Bats

Jan 26, 2009, 9:14 PM
Post #9 of 13 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shocked

durangoclimber

Jan 26, 2009, 9:42 PM
Post #10 of 13 (4800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please act. This place is a jewel. It is some of the most amazing granite ANYWHERE...often compared to "Yosemite quality granite". This has always been a battleground area.

bigfatrock

Jan 26, 2009, 9:46 PM
Post #11 of 13 (4798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [durangoclimber] Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for plugging others to help. It's VERY important. Last I heard Access Fund and the Wichita Mountains Climbers Coalition have spoken with the new Refuge manager and educated him about climbing and the history of climbing in the Refuge. So he is not in the dark about the long standing history of climbing here.

Some of you may remember this being featured in a recent Rock and Ice issue along with Quartz Mountain. If you haven't seen the issue you should check it out and you will likely be inspired to act.

The important thing here is to make your voice heard and to be respectable in your presentation. One rotten apple could ruin it for everybody. Things are looking promising fright now from what I have been told, but the more people that speak up and say that ant climbing and backpacking to stick around the better.

durangoclimber

Jan 26, 2009, 9:49 PM
Post #12 of 13 (4793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That was a great article in R&I. I can't remember what it was called but it had a small piece on Jimmy Forester (www.friendsofforester.com). Jimmy fought long and hard for access, bolting ethics, etc, etc in the Wichitas and other places. If you don't think access could be lost...WAKE THE F UP.

Bats

Feb 3, 2009, 7:06 PM
Post #13 of 13 (4691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [durangoclimber] Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unsure

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook