RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

atlnq9

Jan 27, 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #1 of 15 (5499 views)
Shortcut

Light meters?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anybody out there still use a hand held light meter for their outside shots? Mine fell about 30ft the other day and didn't survive, looking for a new one. Just wondering who all still uses them and what they use!

Andrew

kriso9tails

Jan 28, 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #2 of 15 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atlnq9] Light meters? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Minolta IVF, but there's not much cause to use it these days. Occasionally I'll use it in the studio, but it's pretty uncommon. Typically it's only when I need to make sure that my lights are balanced or a fixed interval apart.

Outside I used it when I still shot large format (Sinar F2), but I haven't touched a camera without a built in meter in some time. If I were shooting film I might use it to get more accurate shadow and highlight readings in scenes with really high EV ranges, but I don't shoot film any more.

The major issue with my meter was that it didn't have a lighted display, so it was sort of annoying in the dark, but I'd assume that later models would have this.

Perhaps If I were doing outdoor portraiture I would be more inclined to use my meter, but even then I doubt I'd use it with any frequency.

To be honest, I don't need the kind of accuracy now that I used to with film. Digital editing processes lend themselves way better to extreme situations than darkroom techniques ever did (especially with colour). In-camera meters have also gotten a lot more useful over the years than the one in my F3 (which is roughly as old as I am).

That's not to say I don't appreciate precision with exposure, especially with mixed lighting situations, but I can work a bit more by feel these days than in the past. I am more post-process oriented these days.

atlnq9

Jan 28, 2009, 12:50 AM
Post #3 of 15 (5480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Light meters? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, with today's dslrs they wouldn't be as necessary, but I find it a helpful aid to my 6x7 rangefinder.

I have to keep telling myself people don't use these cameras as much anymore therefore they don't need the hand held meters...

Aric, I'll check that one out, I am hopeing these are getting quite available used these days!!

adatesman

Jan 28, 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #4 of 15 (5475 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

kriso9tails

Jan 28, 2009, 1:16 AM
Post #5 of 15 (5459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Light meters? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Anyway, your 6x7... I assume that's mm and not inches? What camera?

Not sure if that's a typo, but it's in cm. Actually, I think the image area is 56mm x 70mm.

atlnq9

Jan 28, 2009, 1:17 AM
Post #6 of 15 (5458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fuji GW670 II and mamiya 7 with 50mm lens, 80, and 150... But since those are in the 6x7 the lenses are about half when compared to 35mm...

oh and yeah that is 6mmx7mm

love them to death, simple lightweight and super high resolution... After lugging my massive 35mm equipment (canon eos 3, 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8) for several years on backpacking and mountaineering trips I decided it was time to switch

Edit: you got me confused to, yeah 6cmx7cm

(This post was edited by atlnq9 on Jan 28, 2009, 1:21 AM)

atlnq9

Jan 28, 2009, 1:23 AM
Post #7 of 15 (5455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Light meters? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if it is quiet 70mm either

adatesman

Jan 28, 2009, 1:30 AM
Post #8 of 15 (5448 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

atlnq9

Jan 28, 2009, 1:45 AM
Post #9 of 15 (5442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Love the 6x7, almost went with a 6x6 then almost got the fuji 6x9... Sometimes I think it is great then if ya want less just crop it...

Rangefinders too me are the best cameras unless you are shooting action. With the leaf shutters in the mamiya I can handhold much lower, I mean like a 60th or less. Getting ready to sell my tripod and ballhead on ebay in a couple min, just don't need it for these. Going for a mini tabletop...

I wish leica would come out with an updated digital model, I might get it, but then not sure if it would have enough features for digital...

JoshCaple

Feb 16, 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #10 of 15 (5318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Sekonic L358 which I still use but not for climbing. These days it doesn't see nearly as much use... could probably get by without it but when I do use it I remember why I love it so much.

asellers98

Feb 16, 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #11 of 15 (5314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are shooting digital, there is a simpler method for most shots. Just pick yourself up a custom white balance kit of some kind. I prefer the kind over the lens. The Expodisc is pretty impressive. It was the biggest improvement shooting canon, it was almost more improvement than going to L glass.

Second is practicing with Center metering, just point and get readings for your brightest brights, and your darkest darks, and then set it manual in the middle if you really want to get great results. Sure the incamera meter is not nearly as accurate, but any added weight climbing is noticeable.

And of course shoot raw. With these three suggestions, I doubt you would miss a meter even for portraits. And if you really need it still, I would get this one: SEKONIC L-508 ZOOM MASTER EXTERNAL LIGHT METER.

atlnq9

Feb 16, 2009, 4:22 PM
Post #12 of 15 (5269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asellers98] Light meters? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a used Gossen Digisix, good recommendation Aric.

asellers98
Did you really even read the posts? I assume this was directed towards me since you replied to me. I shoot medium format 6x7 rangefinders, these are the complete opposite to digital (higher resolution, zoom lenses aren't available, the fuji doesn't even have interchangeable lenses, no auto focus, one doesn't even have a meter, manual film advance, etc.)

asellers98

Feb 16, 2009, 9:20 PM
Post #13 of 15 (5243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought you had more than one camera. Sorry. I did give a recommendation though.

atlnq9

Feb 16, 2009, 9:31 PM
Post #14 of 15 (5237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asellers98] Light meters? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey sorry too about my comments, I understand where you were coming from, hasn't been a good week, I got laid off before I even started.

thanks for the recommendation, I already received the gossen though.

Andrew

pico23

Feb 17, 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #15 of 15 (5188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like Krisco said, in the studio with strobes YES.

Incident meters are good with strobe work.

For anything else, the cameras meter on MOST SLR/DSLR sould be pretty good.

The top end Nikon and Canons have spot meters, Canon finally added spot metering to it's lower end cameras. Not sure how tight those are, but the only reason to use a handheld spot meter is for a tighter spot circle. Some cameras have a respectably tight metering circle.

Camera meters can be tricked in Matrix/evaluative metering, but in spot metering ONLY the photographer can be tricked.

Also, if your meter is off, in most cases with a spot meter it's consistently off, so if you find it tends to underexpose by a half stop to perhaps protect the hightlights, really it's not a problem, just remember that and compensate the half stop.

The only time an inaccurate meter is a problem is when it's inconsistent.

So no, a hand held meter isn't really useful these days except in select instances.

Oh, and after reading the post I see you are shooting medium format, I'd still think on a TTL metered camera, assuming it has a spot meter, for outdoor stuff you don't need one, but since you got one, it's a moot point.

(This post was edited by pico23 on Feb 17, 2009, 11:51 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook