Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Medicine Wall in San Antonio
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

zoomfrog2000

Feb 1, 2009, 5:31 PM
Post #1 of 15 (16030 views)
Shortcut

Medicine Wall in San Antonio  (North_America: United_States: Texas: South_Central_Texas)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can someone please give me the location of Medicine Wall in San Antonio? I realize that it is closed but I am willing to take that risk. Thanks.

TNT

Feb 8, 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #2 of 15 (15986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zoomfrog2000] Medicine Wall in San Antonio [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would appreciate some info as well if anyone is willing to share. My wife and I went to Shavano Roof and Rolling Stone Wall today and weren't that impressed. We'd really like to try Medicine Wall and Fiesta Wall but haven't heard specific directions.

Thanks!

(This post was edited by TNT on Feb 8, 2009, 11:16 PM)

Partner camhead

Feb 8, 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #3 of 15 (15976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TNT] Medicine Wall in San Antonio [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

asking for directions to closed crags on the internet. smart.

TNT

Feb 9, 2009, 3:14 AM
Post #4 of 15 (15951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Medicine Wall in San Antonio [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What's wrong with asking for info/directions in a public forum? Sorry, I just don't understand the error. Yes, it sounds as if access is restricted at medicine wall but I have no idea about fiesta wall; but regardless, what difference does it make if I ask for directions here or personally from someone in the community?

clausti

Feb 9, 2009, 4:15 AM
Post #5 of 15 (15942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TNT wrote:
What's wrong with asking for info/directions in a public forum? Sorry, I just don't understand the error. Yes, it sounds as if access is restricted at medicine wall but I have no idea about fiesta wall; but regardless, what difference does it make if I ask for directions here or personally from someone in the community?

what is wrong with your brain?

you don't give directions to closed areas on the internet because it's searchable, viewable by anyone, and it's completely dick to be like "it's closed, but i'm special"

so fuck you.

TNT

Feb 9, 2009, 1:48 PM
Post #6 of 15 (15931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Medicine Wall in San Antonio [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL! Wow! Thanks for the mature, appropriate response.

I know that people do regularly climb some of these closed areas, and its my understanding that the cliff face itself is part of the city's drainage system and city property, but its the access above the climbing that is private property and access can be granted by the owner. You have misconstrued my attitude and intentions, and I really don't appreciate your pissy response. Maybe I should read that thread on why there is so much hate in the climbing community to find out what makes you such a happy-go-lucky individual.

Seriously, I'm not trying to get bashed for asking what I think is a legitamate question. Maybe it was too much to hope for a courteous, informative and articulate response...even if it carried a similar but more complete message.

I guess I still don't know why it matters if people know the location of an area that's closed?

(This post was edited by TNT on Feb 9, 2009, 1:50 PM)

clausti

Feb 9, 2009, 3:45 PM
Post #7 of 15 (15909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TNT wrote:
LOL! Wow! Thanks for the mature, appropriate response.

I know that people do regularly climb some of these closed areas, and its my understanding that the cliff face itself is part of the city's drainage system and city property, but its the access above the climbing that is private property and access can be granted by the owner. You have misconstrued my attitude and intentions, and I really don't appreciate your pissy response. Maybe I should read that thread on why there is so much hate in the climbing community to find out what makes you such a happy-go-lucky individual.

Seriously, I'm not trying to get bashed for asking what I think is a legitamate question. Maybe it was too much to hope for a courteous, informative and articulate response...even if it carried a similar but more complete message.

I guess I still don't know why it matters if people know the location of an area that's closed?

it was a perfectly appropriate response, actually.

if you cannot figure out why the physical directions to a CLOSED area should not be posted on the internet, then you about as smart as carpet.

Partner camhead

Feb 9, 2009, 3:47 PM
Post #8 of 15 (15907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The point is that access in TX is very touchy, almost ALL good climbing is on private land; public parks like Enchanted Rock are the exception, not the norm. If you are so in tune with the climbing community, you would know this, know where to get local word of mouth information, and keep your mouth shut on forums where hundreds of meathead gym topropers could get info to access-sensitive areas.

There is a term called "show and tell" describing crags that are by no means secret, but which you can only go see with a tour by someone who knows and respects the area. Much of Texas is like this.

For what it is worth, one of the best bouldering areas in Texas is very near San Antonio. It is on private land, the owner is completely cool with climbers there, but he has requested that directions to it not be posted on line.

Go to a gym, get to know people, establish yourself as "not a douche bag," and you will have a lot more luck than simply posting to rockclimbing.noob.

I hope that answered your concerns and questions.

TNT

Feb 9, 2009, 4:57 PM
Post #9 of 15 (15893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Medicine Wall in San Antonio [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks camhead. Still, if the area is already closed I am not sure why keeping the location secret on the basis of maintaining "touchy" access is important, just because it sounds like there is no access. Anyway, I get the rest of your points. Thanks for your civility.

Clausti - I guess my definition of obnoxious is the same as yours for appropriate. "F-you" is rarely an appropriate initial response in my book...I would certainly treat you with more courtesy.

clausti

Feb 9, 2009, 5:03 PM
Post #10 of 15 (15888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TNT wrote:
Clausti - I guess my definition of obnoxious is the same as yours for appropriate. "F-you" is rarely an appropriate initial response in my book...I would certainly treat you with more courtesy.

you have your priorities bass-ackwards. you think it's more important to treat a stranger on the internet with courtesy than to treat a landowner whose legal rights you will actually be violating with your trespass with similar courtesy?

can't you see that it's a hundred times more dick to post the location of closed areas online then for me to tell you to fuck off? you have no sense of scale.

and, by comparing you with carpet, i'm thinking i might have aimed too high.

TNT

Feb 9, 2009, 5:13 PM
Post #11 of 15 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Medicine Wall in San Antonio [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was my understanding that access could be granted by the land owner. My intention was not to trespass. As I said earlier, I think you have misinterpreted my intentions.

(This post was edited by TNT on Feb 9, 2009, 5:17 PM)

Partner epoch

Feb 9, 2009, 5:32 PM
Post #12 of 15 (15868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TNT wrote:
It was my understanding that access could be granted by the land owner. My intention was not to trespass. As I said earlier, I think you have misinterpreted my intentions.
What, then, are your intentions. Good points have been brought up about access already. Posting the directions to a place that is closed to climbers does make it all of a sudden accessable to anyone with even the tiniest knowledge of Google.

Your best option is to exercise the gym one mentioned before.

TNT

Feb 9, 2009, 5:40 PM
Post #13 of 15 (15865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Medicine Wall in San Antonio [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I will ask around in person to get more info on these locations. For Medicine Wall, my hope was to take a look at the wall from the wash which is city property, then if appropriate and worth my effort I would contact whomever owns the house above the crag...either by knocking on their door or by mail.

Unfortunately there is not a public gym in SA.

kevthegerman

Mar 31, 2009, 7:40 PM
Post #14 of 15 (15589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, i was reading this post for a couple of months looking for this wall as well.. the prior post are correct this is a closed wall and the signs are pretty obvious.. i really wanted to find this wall as well and with patients and a bit of luck i did find it.. the best bet is to go to the walls in san antonio that are listed here and talk to the people there, if you are a ligit climber they will tell you were it is.. the access is sooo very sensitive b/c of prior climbers lack of respect but the wall is still there with new bolts and great climbs BUT too much traffic will lead to a shotgun in the face.. be patient you will find it....

cosmokramer

Sep 18, 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #15 of 15 (14945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zoomfrog2000] Medicine Wall in San Antonio [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i was one of the first people climbing medicine wall years ago back when it was first bolted, before any of that 1604/neighborhood development occured. my friends and i used to get off work on a friday, and camp/climb down there until sunday night - campfires, beer, and bbq. ahh, good times.

29 36 13 N
98 33 15 W

(use google earth Wink)

enjoy.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook