Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Winter route suggestions?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mojomonkey

Feb 4, 2009, 5:40 AM
Post #1 of 7 (996 views)
Shortcut

Winter route suggestions?  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region: Ralph_Stover_State_Park__aka_High_Rocks_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The forecast is saying 50s for the weekend, so I was considering heading out to Stover this weekend. I've often heard it offers sheltered, sunny spots that are good for winter. Anyone know how true that is? Personal experience to share? Route/area suggestions for a colder day?

I am not too far away, but I wouldn't want to make a 1-1.5 hour trip and find nothing to do.

Will the snow be gone enough from any ledges I'd need to scramble across to set up topropes?

tomcat

Feb 4, 2009, 8:08 AM
Post #2 of 7 (970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Winter route suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't live there anymore,so don't know about snow conditions,but it's a warm protected place when the sun is shining.We did the FA of Tales From the Crypt in December.The dark rock helps too.

joeforte

Feb 4, 2009, 7:03 PM
Post #3 of 7 (941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcat] Winter route suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Yeah, you'll be fine. This weekend will be plently warm. Nearly the whole cliff gets sun, and I don't think there's enough snow on the ground to be an issue. A rope tarp would be nice to have... it could be muddy.

yogaboy

Feb 6, 2009, 7:06 AM
Post #4 of 7 (922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any chance you're up for driving down to the DC area? It will be a bit warmer! My plan at the moment is to drive down that way to climb all day Saturday (tomorrow) and possibly some on Sunday, but I need to be back Sunday afternoon. Hmmm... maybe not if I have to be back in the PM. Dunno. Anyway if that falls through, my backup plan is to climb Ralph Stover.

Give me a call.

Neil
908-868-9153

lagwagonpcp

Feb 6, 2009, 8:03 AM
Post #5 of 7 (911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stover should be nice weather wise. snow on the ground shouldnt be a major issue, some ice. it stays really warm there. if you have never climbed there i will warn you the rock has poor friction and alot of people think the climbing sucks. that said some people love it i might end up there, maybe ill see you.
have fun
be safe

mojomonkey

Feb 6, 2009, 8:38 AM
Post #6 of 7 (903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yogaboy] Winter route suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not interested in headed towards DC. I was only curious about RS since it is touted as winter-climbable. It should be warm enough for me, but I'm hoping it isn't a muddy, sloppy mess.

And thanks for the heads up lagwagonpcp. I have climbed there before, twice. I am not a huge fan, but it was OK. I really just want to take advantage of the weather to get back outside again.

mojomonkey

Feb 8, 2009, 2:51 PM
Post #7 of 7 (875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For future reference, I did head there today, and was satisfied. Nice change of pace to climb outside somewhat locally in February. It was mid/upper 50s in Doylestown with intermittent clouds. There was a lot of snow earlier in the week, and it stayed cold (below freezing) until about Friday. Saturday and today jumped way up.

Tory road was a muddy mess, as was the trail along the top of the cliff. We headed towards the Phonebooth area first and things were dry and warm there. We did climbs from Obnoxious Pratner to the end, making a short day of it. Though it was cooler when the clouds came out, I was sweating in a t-shirt while climbing and comfortable in a fleece belaying. A little warm even.

We walked along the cliff to check out the rest on the way out. Most places were nice and dry. There were a few waterfalls, but plenty to climb. It seemed to get wetter (and there was still some ice/snow on the ground) towards the opposite end where there was more tree cover. I recall ice near the base of Neanderthal.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook