Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
camping at t-wall
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

colatownkid

Apr 22, 2008, 6:48 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3544 views)
Shortcut

camping at t-wall  (North_America: United_States: Tennessee: Eastern: Tennessee_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what's the best option for camping at t-wall? i've checked out the dixie cragger's atlas... camp at the parking area? on the trail? at the base of the cliff? is there another spot nearby?

i've also read about the break-ins. will my car be safe if i leave it at the parking area for a couple days?

what about water? are there streams near the trail/campsite for filtering or do i have to pack it all in?

finally, any idea what the hunting closure schedule is looking like? i'm planning on being there for memorial day weekend (may 23-26).

(and don't worry, i read the post on the t-wall tick list. i've already got the important stuff--the climbing--figured out.)

colatownkid

Feb 5, 2009, 2:51 AM
Post #2 of 7 (3301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] camping at t-wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bump, because i didn't make it to t-wall last memorial day, so i'm trying again in a couple weeks. anybody know if T-wall will be closed valentine's day weekend? also, is it legit to sleep in my car in the parking lot?

forkliftdaddy

Feb 5, 2009, 3:33 AM
Post #3 of 7 (3286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dunno if it is open then, but you can sleep in your car. IMHO the nicest camping there is down by the river. There's a flat spot way down at the water's edge where you hear nothing but the water. It is the honeymoon suite.

umeroz7

Feb 5, 2009, 3:49 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

t wall is closed on the following dates. seclimbers.org always has the t wall dates on the message board.
March 31
April 1-5
April 8-10
April 16-18
April 21-26
I dont know other camping spots.i stay in the lot or the sites right in the woods behind the lot. we have had good luck with the t wall bandit just dont leave things out in plain sight. but its always a gamble. i dont even bring a tent to t wall anymore just a tarp. one less thing to get stolen. i dont bring lots of extra car camping stuff. so there is less to steal. the chattanooga river is kind of dirty even with a filter so for camping i say grab some in town. wall mart is on the way to t wall. also if you have a filter i bet the water fall were the trail meets the cliff is running so there is an option. give me a shout if you are heading towards brevard or the bald.

have fun.Erik H

sthcrag510

Feb 5, 2009, 4:22 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We usually camp at the campsite behind the lot. There should be a crap ton of firewood there right now... you'll see what i mean. Thats the best place i believe there is to camp. Its usually pretty quite expect for the occasional car passing by. There are a ton of spots there. So pick which ever you think is best. Oh yea... break down camp every morning and leave it in the car at the boat ramp. Kind of a pain but its better than getting your shit stolen.

As far as the twall bandit. We have been parking our cars at the public boat launch on the way in on the left (this is on the main road before you turn onto river bend road). The boat ramp is a huge parking lot and its right off the road so its a safe place. Clean out a car and drive that one to the twall parking lot and leave it unlocked. Sounds sketchy but its better than getting a broken window. We have had good luck with this method.

Cheers

(This post was edited by sthcrag510 on Feb 5, 2009, 5:44 AM)

Carnage

Feb 5, 2009, 5:11 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sthcrag510] camping at t-wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i had some creepy nights when i was there for a few days.

earlier in the night we saw the same car drive by a few times, then once it was dark, they pulled into parking lot and just hung out for a few min then left

we were the only ones there so we were kinda paranoid. coldness and rain didnt help.

colatownkid

Feb 5, 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] camping at t-wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for everyone's info. it's very much appreciated. now the only thing missing is some good weather...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook