Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
how's the weather?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

pupjr

Nov 19, 2002, 8:06 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3375 views)
Shortcut

how's the weather?  (North_America: United_States: California: Northern_California: Lost_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

is that rock wet a lot? and if so are the climbs even harder then? anyone climb there a lot? what are some classics, besides that dyno pictured? just any details about this place would be great, thanks

robs

Dec 3, 2002, 12:49 AM
Post #2 of 8 (3375 views)
Shortcut

how's the weather? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd tell you ... if I could find the place! I drove up from Fortuna area one afternoon to go looking for it; I found Coastal Drive -- which is actually Klamath Beach Road, anyway -- but it forks splits and turns and does all kinds of gnarly things.

Can any locals give me a hint here? I'm new to the area. A guy I know from the Bay Area recommended checking it out.

- Rob.

roughster

Dec 3, 2002, 7:40 AM
Post #3 of 8 (3375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TIPS on how to get there: Go left, and follow till the dead end at the overlook. You should see the Ceremonial Rock on your right along with the mouth of the Klamath.

Weather: If its not raining, the rock dries mega fast. I have drove up there during the rain, hung out for a bit, then started climbing after the winds dried the place out.

Classics: Man its all classics, no joke. Just walk the beach and pluck line after line of goodness. The place changes alot every visit as some of the problems are alot harder depending on sand level. What may be a lowball one session, will be a 15 -20 foot highball the next.

Good luck! If only it wasn't so far north!

robs

Dec 3, 2002, 6:36 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet, I think I know what you're talking about. I took the left fork of Coastal Drive and ended up near a hidden penitentiary. Whee.

I'll check this out later this week if the weather holds out.

benyork

Oct 12, 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #5 of 8 (3375 views)
Shortcut

lost rocks weather [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive lived in the area for about 4 years and generally the weather sucks. lost rocks especially has a problem with this, since the sea mist tends to cling to the holds and makes them super greasy. even when it is sunny many of the routes tend to be super slick, a fact that is not aided by the fact that many of them are ultra polished from the ocean beating on them in the winter.
as for sand levels, they vary wildly. be prepared to some with your crashpads and be faced with 60 foot high boulders. no joke.
the description says that tides are not a factor. whoever wrote this hasn't spent much time at lost rocks. if you climb there enough, you will get wet. usually the first time you go. generally i have found it better just to climb at moonstone and houda, about 45 mins south and just not go to lost rocks, which is way overrated.

boardline22

Oct 12, 2005, 2:11 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3375 views)
Shortcut

Re: lost rocks weather [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ive lived in the area for about 4 years and generally the weather sucks. lost rocks especially has a problem with this, since the sea mist tends to cling to the holds and makes them super greasy. even when it is sunny many of the routes tend to be super slick, a fact that is not aided by the fact that many of them are ultra polished from the ocean beating on them in the winter.
as for sand levels, they vary wildly. be prepared to some with your crashpads and be faced with 60 foot high boulders. no joke.
the description says that tides are not a factor. whoever wrote this hasn't spent much time at lost rocks. if you climb there enough, you will get wet. usually the first time you go. generally i have found it better just to climb at moonstone and houda, about 45 mins south and just not go to lost rocks, which is way overrated.

I bet you it is excellant, but he wants no one else to come

MrBelmont

Mar 19, 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boardline22] lost rocks weather [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone in the area still climb here? I live in crescent city but havnt had a free day to try this place out.

bladeaddict

Feb 5, 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MrBelmont] lost rocks weather [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

we drove over from Medford, OR last summer and loved it!!! Well worth the drive.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook