RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

bergers

Oct 25, 2001, 8:48 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1123 views)
Shortcut

Vapor Barriers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just wondering about people that use Vapor Barriers while mountaineering. I understand the whole concept behind them. They get you to sweat until your body is saturated and you stop sweating and stay warm. I have heard they work well. My question is when you get up in the morning all sweaty, then what? Do you change clothes and dry off, or just put on your "action clothes" because you are going to get sweaty climbing anyway?

atg200

Oct 25, 2001, 9:24 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1123 views)
Shortcut

Vapor Barriers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You almost never use vapor barriers-they are incredibly uncomfortable. I've climbed a lot in the Rockies in the winter and the Andes and have never felt a need.

Anyway, in my misguided youth I used them a few times. Socks are really the only good VB layer to use. Take them off while you sleep. The same applies ot any VB layer. You will dry out during the night.

By the way, the same concept applies to inner boots of plastic doubles. I often stuff both into the bottom of my sleeping bag while I sleep to keep them warm and me dry.

andrew

addiroids

Oct 25, 2001, 9:56 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1123 views)
Shortcut

Vapor Barriers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of my partners have needed Vapor Barriers when sharing cramped belays with me. Or else "They caught da Vaypahs" -Snoop

Too much mexican food the night before at La Cosita in Idyllwild will do that to a person.

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook