Forums: International: Euro Freaks:
Query: Top roping in Turkey, Hungary, Croatia, Albania, Greece?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

branya

Feb 12, 2009, 5:53 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Query: Top roping in Turkey, Hungary, Croatia, Albania, Greece?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello All,

My wife and I are beginning climbers, just trying to get some experience top roping. We are planning a trip to Europe this summer, and were wondering if there are opportunities for top roping in the above countries. From what I've seen on the web, there is definitely sport climbing in these areas, but we are concerned about whether there are routes that are approachable from the top.

Any suggestions? Where are the best places to go in these countries for top roping?

Thanks a lot!

JimTitt

Feb 13, 2009, 8:03 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [branya] Query: Top roping in Turkey, Hungary, Croatia, Albania, Greece? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most southern Euro sport climbing is on limestone and the tops are razor sharp, covered in impenetrable spiky plants or the cliff goes on for another few hundred meters anyway.
You normally either get someone to put a rope on the route for you or clip-stick your way up to the lower-off.
This has the advantage anyway that you can say you are working a project which takes you out of the noob class!
For easier routes in Greece see http://www.bolt-products.com/ClimbArgolis.htm , for Hungary see http://ludens.elte.hu/climb/climb.html. Donīt go to Albania.

branya

Feb 17, 2009, 2:43 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Query: Top roping in Turkey, Hungary, Croatia, Albania, Greece? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks a lot JimTitt,

That's a little discouraging, but hopefully the locals will be able to show us some places we can climb, or set a rope for us like you suggested.

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook