RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

stonefox

Feb 16, 2009, 5:38 PM
Post #1 of 13 (5752 views)
Shortcut

Cross training
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, I tried the 'gym' again - I like it but Im not into leavng one box and going to another box to work out.

LOVE swimming but I can't get to the pool enough.

Started yoga about 2 months ago, I go 5 days a week and do Bikram and Vinyasa, I really like both classes. In fact I'm a bit obsessed with Bikram. I definately feel my core coming back and then some but I have to get in some cardio somewhere. My knees are shot so running is out for me.

Anyone use yoga to crosstrain? What are your results? What do you do for cardio or are you getting enough from yoga and climbing?

tigerlilly

Feb 16, 2009, 5:52 PM
Post #2 of 13 (5747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stonefox] Cross training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been a cyclist forever, so my cardio workouts usually involve a bike. This time of year, it means riding rollers indoors, which is almost as exciting as watching paint dry. But, the local bike shop (very cool bike shop) pushes aside the clothing racks after 7 on Wednesdays, sets out a bunch of trainers and pops in a Spinervals video. Usually about a dozen folks show up (bring your own bike) and we ride to the video. I'm lousy at suffering by myself, but it's much better when I have company.

Been getting my climbing fix on ice this year. It's been a great season in the Northeast.

Kathy

tavs

Feb 16, 2009, 6:07 PM
Post #3 of 13 (5745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Cross training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For cardio: running (about 9 months ago I started training for a half-marathon, my first race, and got hooked; now training for my third in April); in the winter, backcountry skiing. Skiing overall is great cross-training, especially if your climbing involves long approaches (this is my first full season of skiing and first one doing a lot of touring, and I'm pretty sure my legs are going to come out of winter much stronger than they've ever been).

I've also started doing Crossfit workouts 2-3x/week, usually after a cardio workout or gym climbing session. There are a bunch of threads about crossfit with some good and bad things about it. I'll just say this: I'm not a "crossfitter" and do not make it my life. But I've found that many of the workouts (specifically, the ones identified as "metcons" which involve many reps or rounds of a handful of exercises done as quickly as possible while maintaining good form) are a great supplement for both strength and endurance for climbing, skiing, etc. The workouts typically take anywhere from 5-30 mins, so they're quick but INTENSE.

granite_grrl

Feb 16, 2009, 7:13 PM
Post #4 of 13 (5731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, I don't get enough cardio from yoga or climbing.....but the beautiful thing about climbing that you don't need to kill your self from running to have the cardio you need. Though if you're looking to loose weight cardio is a must.

Honestly, after practicing yoga for quite a few years now I don't think its end all be all cross training for climbing. Heck, I wouldn't be surprized if it was mostly useless as climbing cross training. I do find it excellent for injury rehabilitation though.

But the biggest thing I find I need when exercising is to enjoy it. I don't know what if any bennifits yoga has for climbing, but I sure do enjoy the activity of yoga.

stonefox

Feb 16, 2009, 7:29 PM
Post #5 of 13 (5728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Cross training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I totally agree with you, I really love it.
Core strength overall has dramatically increased for me. I mean, let's face it, I've been sedentary and I have been trying to get back to me since last year. I found something that fits my time restraints and keeps my core. I don't think it will be nearly as hard to lose the weight with my core entact once I start climbing again, I can't wait! Im finally done with school mid-March!!!!!

granite_grrl

Feb 16, 2009, 7:35 PM
Post #6 of 13 (5726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just keep in mind with the core and yoga is that you just can't simply keep doing yoga and expect it to keep working your core. You have to activly engage and use it during yoga to keep feeling effects. Keep note of which instructors place importance on this, then pay attention and ask them questions as you progress.

And no (at least at the rate I do it, 1-2x a week), yoga is not going to give you a 6-pack.

stonefox

Feb 16, 2009, 8:07 PM
Post #7 of 13 (5720 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Cross training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not looking for a six pack - no bulk. I go to yoga 5 times a week, my flexibility has improved, stamina in holding poses has improved, and all of my arm balance poses are stronger. I see only 2 teachers and it's easy to talk with both of them, they offer help both during and after class and the classes get progressively more challenging each week. Im feeling really good going into this spring.

snoangel

Feb 17, 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #8 of 13 (5692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You want something to to do instead of climbing in the gym all winter and still keep your core and upper body strength? I have the perfect thing for you...

Pole dancing. No, I'm not kidding. It's super fun and my upper body has gotten so strong. I hadn't climbed in over 6 mo. when I started taking PD classes. After taking them (1-2x/wk) for a couple of months, I hit the climbing gym. I was amazed that I didn't get pumped out at all for almost two hours. Plus my core felt strong. My fingers gave out before anything else.

Another thing that is great for cross-training is circus aerials. I've gotten into this recently and it's so cool how strong you get while doing all these fun tricks. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's kind of like Cirque du Soliel, using the fabric, hoop and trapeze.

I'm not sure where you live, but most metro areas have similar classes. You should check it out.

Oh, I also do yoga & Pilates. They're just not nearly as fun. Smile

clee03m

Feb 17, 2009, 4:56 PM
Post #9 of 13 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I've read, it seems that cross training does not specifically benefit climbing. Of course if you want to exercise on you off days, I'm sure yoga is great.

For cardio, I got a heart rate monitor, and I would recommend the same for you. I was way off my optimal heart rate zone when I was doing 'cardio' work out. I was consistently in an anaerobic zone by pushing too hard. So whatever you decide for cardio, consider a heart rate monitor?

kiwiprincess

Feb 18, 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #10 of 13 (5610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate gyms too.
I go mountain biking once or twice a week and I run when i work away from home as no gear needed.
In winter, when tracks are icy and misreable, i ski tour or snowshoe a couple of times a week ..Not as intense but at least you are hiking to the crag fit when the snow melts.

The best way to keep motivated is organise a group, workmates, a girls night, club night, to go every tuesday say. if a couple of people are busy there will always be someone else there to motivate you.
I find entering a social competition a couple of months away can make sure I keep thing up.

I don't do it but I think Martial arts or capoeira or something would get you so strong, and probably be quite fun

pinkarm

May 9, 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #11 of 13 (5289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoangel] Cross training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree about aerials being fun. I started it last year when a shoulder/various injuries limited how much climbing I could or should be doing. The trigger was going to a flying trapeze lesson. [Thought was maybe it might help the fear of falling that holds me back in climbing.]

Flying trapeze is PURE FUN. I couldn't find flying trapeze locally but tried aerials as the next best thing. Now I like aerials for itself. I can't say if aerials made me stronger since it was my strength from climbing that made aerials seem relatively easy. Climbing and aerials merge for me when I find myself looking at the climbing rope and thinking about straddle climbing it or going into a waist block. Crazy

Though I've been climbing since my injuries healed, it's not as often and I don't know if I might not even stop altogether because of the partner situation. I'd just add more aerials classes to my week then.

Lastly, I've tried pole dancing a couple of times (girls night out) but can't see myself doing it on a regular basis.

My point in all of this is that the main purpose (for me) of these activities is the fun factor, the physical benefits that happen as a result are just a bonus. In that sense, poweryoga is more of a "chore" for me because I'm doing to increase my flexibility (for aerials and whatnot).

clausti

May 11, 2009, 6:03 PM
Post #12 of 13 (5233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinkarm] Cross training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cardio so you're not fat.

Core exercises so you can keep your feet on. (Hanging from a hangboard or pullup bar and doing leg lifts... mmm mmm good.)

Oppositional (pushups, ect) so you don't get injured.

There's your cross training.

edited to add: I looked into pole classes in my area- Columbus, Ohio, not exactly the sticks- and they are freaking expensive.

(This post was edited by clausti on May 11, 2009, 6:04 PM)

graniteboy

May 14, 2009, 8:41 PM
Post #13 of 13 (5113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And the answer Isssss:
Ashtanga Yoga.

Much more cardio-oriented than the other forms of Yoga...espacially once you get beyond the 1st series. The so called "Vinyasa" yoga is kind of like ashtanga, just watered down for people who don't want to work as hard.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook