Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

anykineclimb

Jan 17, 2009, 4:06 AM
Post #26 of 40 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Best gloves for ice climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

the ones having the most fun??

gunkiemike

Jan 21, 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #27 of 40 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Best gloves for ice climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
altelis wrote:
Cloudveil gloves. Don't know what has changed since 2005 when I bought mine, but I freaking LOVE them.

They completely redesigned them. The cut is different and the padding is much stiffer than the old ones. Dexterity is down as well, likely due to the change in cut.

I just got a pair of the new Ice Floe gloves. They are indeed different in ways that initially don't seem so positive. I'll see how they break in.

the_climber

Jan 22, 2009, 4:43 PM
Post #28 of 40 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Best gloves for ice climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
the_climber wrote:
altelis wrote:
Cloudveil gloves. Don't know what has changed since 2005 when I bought mine, but I freaking LOVE them.

They completely redesigned them. The cut is different and the padding is much stiffer than the old ones. Dexterity is down as well, likely due to the change in cut.

I just got a pair of the new Ice Floe gloves. They are indeed different in ways that initially don't seem so positive. I'll see how they break in.

Please let me know how they break in because I'm starting to really go through the last life stages of a couple of my favourite gloves.

jahsh

Jan 24, 2009, 7:22 AM
Post #29 of 40 (2935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've just "acquired" my wifes black leather winter dress gloves....
apparently they were a gift from her mother, but come on I found one on the coat rack and the other buried in the closet
theyre sweet...super tight fit, some fuzzy pink lining and a lil' bow on the cuff, super nimble and worked great today at joes

I mean what glove can do that....
too bad for me though, the wife caught me drying 'em out near the fireplace and it sounds like me and the dog are going to be fighting for couch space tonight

EvilMonkey

Jan 24, 2009, 5:59 PM
Post #30 of 40 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Best gloves for ice climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i got the mountain hardwear jalepenos this season. the stitching on the leather on one of the fingers just started falling apart and i've barely used them. just a heads up. i usually like their gear, but these gloves don't seem too rugged. i like climbing with leather tillman work gloves when it's not too cold. best gloves out there.

Durin

Jan 26, 2009, 1:23 AM
Post #31 of 40 (2876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EvilMonkey] Best gloves for ice climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So...

For approaching, belaying, chillaxing:

http://www.bdel.com/gear/absolute_mitt.php

For climbing:

http://www.bdel.com/gear/torque.php

The BD Torques to me seemed to be far, far more dextrous than the Punishers...

dadvntur

Jan 26, 2009, 2:04 AM
Post #32 of 40 (2869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jahsh] Best gloves for ice climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only ice climbed a few times here in the midwest, but for what its worth I've been pleased with insulated XC ski gloves (100 gram insulation, synthetic leather palms, articulated fingers, & padding on back that perfectly accomodates ice tool leash straps - which are essentially same set-up as XC ski pole wrist straps). They only cost $35 a pair, so you can get two sets for the price of one name brand 'ice glove'. Therefore if you drive away with a pair atop your car you won't go broke (lesson learned - place items on the hood of your car if you must). Today was the first time I wore synthetic glove liners inside these gloves account morning temp was 5 F. topping out at 12 F, & ice was wet. Didn't have to switch out to my dry pair all day, despite one glove being glazed solid like a gauntlet from ice.

(This post was edited by dadvntur on Jan 26, 2009, 2:29 AM)

go_dyno

Jan 28, 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #33 of 40 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dadvntur] Best gloves for ice climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The new BD PUnishers are much better fitting and more durable and the best for all around conditions. I use the Marmot Alpines for real cold, BD Punishers for cold and Marmot liner gloves with leather Pittard for warm climbing. I started using the Marmot "Driclime liners" in the Alpines in real cold because when I would take them off to mess with knot disasters bare handed and my hands got wet I could not get the my hands back in the gloves as my hands would freeze to the inside of the glove half way on inserting them and with the Driclime liners (they RULE!) all problems were solved. I keep Extremity Mittens with chem packs inside them for epics.

gunkiemike

Jan 29, 2009, 10:59 PM
Post #34 of 40 (2779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
gunkiemike wrote:

Please let me know how they break in because I'm starting to really go through the last life stages of a couple of my favourite gloves.

The problems: 1) the fingers are significantly longer than they used to be. Men's small used to fit me well, now they are terrible. 2) The wrist is WAY too tight. I can barely get into these in the living room when the gloves and my hands are dry. 3) there is a Velcro/elastic strap to make the wrist "gauntlet" even tighter. Can you say "useless AND circulation-impairing"?? 4) There is an extra layer of leather on the palm that decreases grip yet doesn't extend far enough up the index finger to prevent the blowout that often killed the original Ice Floes. 5) All fingertips now have full leather wrap-arounds. Result = loss of dexterity. 6) The knuckle padding is hard and inflexible. You have to squeeze too hard to close the glove. 7) two of the fingers have painful sharp things inside when I bend them. I don't know if this is the new GoreTex layer or a manufacturing defect. But it hurts and I can see me getting a sore spot there after a day.

Conclusion - if I hadn't thrown away the tags I would be sending these back to CV to exchange for anything more like the original.

jahsh

Feb 24, 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #35 of 40 (2665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump, for the evilmonkey

patmay81

Feb 24, 2009, 1:02 AM
Post #36 of 40 (2659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EvilMonkey] Best gloves for ice climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got a pair of madrocks this year (I didn't even know they made gloves), but they are pretty sweet! If they are anything like their footware though I don't expect them to finish out the season. The company usually produces high performance, low durability (and low price).

(This post was edited by patmay81 on Feb 24, 2009, 1:03 AM)

builttospill

Feb 24, 2009, 4:56 PM
Post #37 of 40 (2632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] Best gloves for ice climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a system pretty similar to some others here. I climb in Utah, where it's warm, but I tend to have pretty cold hands, so it almost balances out.

I wear a pair of fleece gloves/mitts (the kind where the mitt pulls over the top to expose your fingers) for the approach and for rappelling. Lets me use my fingers to put crampons on, but they're pretty warm otherwise, which is nice. $7 or so I think.

For climbing I use a pair of OR snowline gloves. I don't think they're made for ice, but they're thin enough to allow me to climb leashless comfortably. I think they're like $40. I've worn them for 5 or 6 days out so far and they seem to be holding up well so far. I'm usually pretty hard on gear, for what it's worth.

Then I carry a pair of REI big down or synthetic fill mitts. I don't know which, and they don't seem to sell them on their website anymore. They're not as big as the alti mitts or anything like that, but they're pretty thick. I wear those things to belay and my hands NEVER get cold. I mean, I'm sure it's overkill for Utah winters, but they're light and I'd rather have warm hands. I even take them on alpine routes because they're so light.

I usually take a spare pair of climbing gloves of some other type just in case the snowline's get wet, but I've never really needed them, even on the 5th pitch of the day.

I came to find the Snowlines after about 4 or 5 years of climbing in a wide variety of gloves. Before that my favorite was a pair of Scott snowboarding gloves. So.....I don't even usually look at the major manufacturers necessarily.....I just try on a ton of gloves til I find something that fits and feels like I could manipulate biners in. Then I try to fiddle with gear for awhile with them on.

mushroom

Mar 3, 2009, 6:05 AM
Post #38 of 40 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to recommend the Marmot Spring Gloves.

I can tie my shoes, tie in to the rope, clip biners, work screw gates. I haven't had to take them off while in the act. Okay, I can't do my butt strap on my harness, but other than that they are really solid.

They aren't very warm! I use them with a pair of liners too, and even then my hands will sometimes get wickedly cold. Not the best for sub 15F temperatures, but workable. I havne't had the chance to use them et below this temperature.

100% recommend them.

CDN

Nov 26, 2009, 6:54 PM
Post #39 of 40 (2423 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroom] Best gloves for ice climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How are the newer Ice Floe's holding up? Still not as good as the old version?

gunkiemike

Nov 27, 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #40 of 40 (2358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CDN] Best gloves for ice climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Re. the new Ice Floe gloves

Obviously I haven't been wearing them for the last 7 months. But by the end of last season, they were broken in enough that I could wear them pretty much all day i.e. the sharp thing inside the index finger didn't manage to cut through my skin, as I had initially feared. But they still are not that good, for all the reasons I posted in January. What I bought and am enjoying quite a bit are EMS Work Gloves. Not terribly warm, but excellent feel and grip. New treat for this season: OR Alibi gloves. Pricey and snazzy to the max. More of a belay glove than a leading glove, but I can't wait to try them out in the cold.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook