RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

manuels

Oct 27, 2001, 1:17 AM
Post #1 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Sponsor
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im just curious, how can a people get sponsored. I mean, How hard should this people need to be climbing, and then how do you find one? ( they look for you or you should look for them?)

Manuel

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 27, 2001, 1:21 AM
Post #2 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Sponsor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless you climb like a super-star, you look for them. So you need to do like all the others, and spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray, spray.

And just to be sure, spray a little more, and pray that the right people hear you, and more inportantly, believe you.

rrrADAM

[ This Message was edited by: rrradam on 2001-10-26 18:22 ]

climberchk

Oct 29, 2001, 8:18 PM
Post #3 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Sponsor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the time when people spray it gets supa annoying! If you want one that badly, just train harder, and smile more. After all, sponsorship isn't given out solely based on your ability, a big part of it is your attitude! Climbing is about you and the rock, having fun, meeting new people, enjoying life... Sponsorship is like the built in spoon on a yogurt lid, you don't need it, but it’s a nice thing to have. You asked what you have to be doing, I'm not sure on that. But you just need to get out there. Get your name out, that'll take some time, but don't think about it. You're climbing for the wrong reasons if you're doing it for sponsorships. It’s like going for a guy because of his looks. You don't go for a guy just for his looks, he could be a total and complete jerk! Personality is what counts, looks are just a bonus. Like climbing, climb for the love of it, and let the sponsorships be a bonus And climb for the heck of it, don't climb just so you can get deals and stuff, that's not what climbing is about! BTW this topic was already discussed so I just cut n’ pasted my answer

manuels

Oct 29, 2001, 11:00 PM
Post #4 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Sponsor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I really liked your message. I agree with you about not climbing just to get stuffs. The thing is that here in the Dominican Republic we have some good climbers who would like climb outside the Dom. Rep. but they cant afford it. That´s why i was woundering about sponsors.

Thank you
Manuel

manboy

Oct 30, 2001, 1:33 AM
Post #5 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Sponsor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Manuel, what's the climbing like in the Dominican Republic? is there good sport climbing? is there much development there? what style (angles, type of rock etc) is the sport climbing there? where is the most development (what area of the Dominican?) i've been there before, but not for climbing, just for a vacation, i would be interested in going back if the climbing is worth the money/time to go.

about the sponsorship thing, i think that going to competitions (and doing well at them) would be a step in the right direction. a very good friend of mine from Mexico has very little money and so it is hard for him to travel to climb aswell. last year he went to the Latin American championionships and came in 1st place in his age catigory. he is a talented climber (he is red-pointing 5.13's) and now he is on his first ever 'road trip' outside of Mexico (he's in Spain).

about how to get sponsorship, i would suggest to you to write some letters to some companies, perhaps the local gym or local climbing store near you would be interested in helping you finance a trip to a major competition, you won't know unless you ask. Writting letters is a good way for you to start.

good luck with it, and i hope to see you at the crag one day in the future...

[ This Message was edited by: manboy on 2001-10-29 17:34 ]

manuels

Oct 30, 2001, 11:39 PM
Post #6 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Sponsor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Manboy:
here in the Dominican Republic we have very good places to go climbing such as Samana and San Cristobal, the thing is that those places are not very developed. Here we have a group of people trying to develop more the sport in terms of finding new places and bolting routes. In the last 2 months we have been at the crags every weekend doing that. Last weekend we find a very good place to go bouldering.

We have different kind of rocks here (granite, marble and limestone). We have lots of overhangs and faces and few cracks. Almost all the routes we have here are in sport climbing and trads.

Thank you for your message, and let´s keep in touch, it would be very nice to have you here climbing with us.

Manuel

climberchk

Oct 30, 2001, 11:52 PM
Post #7 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Sponsor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is marble fun to climb on? Like can you tell me a lil about it?

manuels

Oct 31, 2001, 12:18 AM
Post #8 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Sponsor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, its kind of fun. i believe the marble rock formation is very similar to the granite. I dont know much about types of rocks but i think my informations is correct

You should come to the Dominican Republic and give me your opinion!!

Manuel

climberchk

Oct 31, 2001, 12:23 AM
Post #9 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Sponsor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish. Maybe in the future, but for now I'll have to stay on our crumbly sandstone and way unreliable basalt.

paulc

Oct 31, 2001, 12:43 AM
Post #10 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Sponsor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Granite usually has a very high percentage of marble/quartz in it so unless the marble is pure, it is likely much like granite. The main difference is that if the marble cooled as a large block that you would probably see cleave lines and fractures that you wouldn't see in granite.

Not a geologist, I just play one on TV.

Paul

andy_lemon

Nov 1, 2001, 6:54 PM
Post #11 of 11 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Sponsor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't have to be good to get sponsored. Look at the guy in R&I and Climbing mag under the cliffbar advertisement were he is climbing mouse traps. Do you think Cliffbar was at the crag and recognised him? NO Do you think Cliffbar heard of the guys "mouse trap home gym"? NO He wrote a letter but most importantly HE SENT IN A GREAT LOOKING PICTURE! I think he got somewhere around $1000 dollars from them so that they could use it. Not a bad deal.

You can very easily get sponsored by clothing companies. Were their harness, shorts, spandex, socks, shoes, etc. And once again, you can be on a 5.6 wearing there shit, they don't care, they want GREAT LOOKING PICTURE PICTURES!

Most sponsors have one general saying, "The more skin the better". But, there is a certain point were you stop.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook