Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Tetons/ Cirque of Towers Question
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jpetsch123

Mar 3, 2009, 2:44 AM
Post #1 of 10 (5385 views)
Shortcut

Tetons/ Cirque of Towers Question  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, i'm headed to the Tetons and to Cirque of the Towers in early august. In the Tetons i'm planning just on climbing the Grand then doing some cragging. In the cirque i'm planning on Pingora, Wolf's Head, maybe Warbonnet.
I don't think an ice axe or crampons are neccessary for any of these routes, but would it be a good idea to take one just in case? Maybe at least to the cirque? I'm kinda an alpine n00b so any other help would be useful.

altelis

Mar 3, 2009, 2:58 AM
Post #2 of 10 (5381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jpetsch123] Tetons/ Cirque of Towers Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i wouldn't worry about bringing it. maybe thats just me. but thats what i'd do

nkane

Mar 3, 2009, 3:27 AM
Post #3 of 10 (5377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Tetons/ Cirque of Towers Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in the Cirque in July last year and did not need ice axe/crampons. Even in a heavy snow year you should probably be fine in August. And there'll be fewer bugs!

If you're really freaking out about it, call the shop in Pinedale - they tend to have up to date information.

hyhuu

Mar 3, 2009, 3:38 AM
Post #4 of 10 (5367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leave the ice axe & crampons at home. You won't need it that late at the Cirque. The afternoon thunderstorm will be your bigger headache.

As for the Grand, unless you are approaching it from the North side. You won't need the axe or crampons either.

It should be an awesome trip. Have fun.

Hyhuu

jpetsch123 wrote:
So, i'm headed to the Tetons and to Cirque of the Towers in early august. In the Tetons i'm planning just on climbing the Grand then doing some cragging. In the cirque i'm planning on Pingora, Wolf's Head, maybe Warbonnet.
I don't think an ice axe or crampons are neccessary for any of these routes, but would it be a good idea to take one just in case? Maybe at least to the cirque? I'm kinda an alpine n00b so any other help would be useful.

seanpmccormick

Mar 3, 2009, 6:51 PM
Post #5 of 10 (5336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did the Grand (Upper Exum) last Mid-July and was glad I had some snow gear. Ice was no problem but if you plan on making it in a day crampons and an axe may speed up your ascent if you don't mind carrying it. Their was an ample amount of glissading to be done. Fun!

Maybe the time between then and August wil be enough to melt most leftover precip. Check with the Jenny Lake Ranger's station when the time rolls around. They are super helpful and have a list of weather conditions in the canyons. Easy to google but here is the number. They open late May. (307) 739-3343

Sean

jpetsch123

Mar 4, 2009, 3:08 AM
Post #6 of 10 (5304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seanpmccormick] Tetons/ Cirque of Towers Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I just don't have the axe or crampons and was debating on whether or not i wanted to spend the money. Might just save it for something else

By the way, you mentioned climbing the Grand in a day. I was planning on two, but how hard is it to do it in one?

reno

Mar 4, 2009, 3:50 AM
Post #7 of 10 (5289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nkane] Tetons/ Cirque of Towers Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nkane wrote:
I was in the Cirque in July last year and did not need ice axe/crampons.

I was in the Cirque in July 2005 and didn't need an axe or 'pons either.

There was a small (20 meters?) section of low angle snow to approach the East Ridge of Wolf's Head, but it was easily done in approach shoes.

seanpmccormick

Mar 4, 2009, 3:52 AM
Post #8 of 10 (5287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you check out Moosely Seconds - located in Moose, Wy. at the entrance to the park, about 11 miles outside of Jackson - you can rent crampons and a snow axe for something like fifteen bucks a day. It's not a screamin' deal or anything but if your not looking to invest it's a good option.

As for climbing the Grand in a day - it's all subjective to your capabilities. I was living in Moose last summer and new a chick that climbed the Grand twice a week solo - and was back by 3pm to start work. She was a machine. So, if you can hike your butt off and don't mind an early start you can probably do it. As a newb myself, I am glad we did it in two. It made everything less stressful in terms of time/navigating/etc. - and, I hate to admit it, but we never would have made it in one. We lost quite a few embarrassing hours just looking for the rap station after reaching the top.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help.

Sean

csproul

Mar 4, 2009, 3:46 PM
Post #9 of 10 (5270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll not need an axe for the Cirque. Do yourself a favor, take a couple days on the Grand. My partenr and I did this a couple years ago, and it worked out perfectly: We hiked up to the saddle in an afternoon and scoped out the start to lower Exum. We did both the lower and upper Exum the next day and then hiked back down to the Caves. The following day we climbed Irene's arete and hiked out. I thought this worked out to a great two and a half days, and we got two great climbs out of it. BTW, no tent was needed for this, there were great cave bivy sites at both places.

altelis

Mar 5, 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #10 of 10 (5239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Tetons/ Cirque of Towers Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there is some good, though misleading advice in here.

first of all- if you have never been up to the upper saddle doing the grand in 2 days is a great idea. there are a MULTITUDE of climber and game trails through the talus/scree leading from the meadows up through to the lower saddle, and then it isn't necessarily straight-forward from there on either. if you do it IAD then you will need to pick this route out in the dark, which will honestly add a ton of wasted route finding time. it is certainly possible to do, its just a whole lot easier if you have scoped the route beforehand.

and the cave bivies are awesome- BUT they are hard to get and you can't bank on getting a permit for the lower saddle bivy sites the day before. those tend to get snagged farther in advance- so if you know your dates now i would suggest contacting the ranger station and trying to get permits taken care of (only if you want to use the lower saddle bivies, otherwise its not a hue deal to get a permit....)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook