Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing near Enniskillen Ireland.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

krillen

Nov 21, 2002, 4:53 PM
Post #1 of 2 (19127 views)
Shortcut

Climbing near Enniskillen Ireland.  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: Crawdad_Canyon: Integrity_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Would Muckros head be the closest climbing to Enniskillen, Fermaghan(sp?) Ireland?

What would be the best areas to visit if I was in the area? What time of year is the waether the best? Summer?

I've only seen pictures of E3 and up Trad, is there anything more along the lines of E1 or less? What kind of gear is most useful? What kind of rock is there at Muckros and around?

Anything you could offer would be very helpful. Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: krillen on 2002-11-21 08:54 ]

amygdala

Dec 2, 2002, 3:07 PM
Post #2 of 2 (19127 views)
Shortcut

Climbing near Enniskillen Ireland. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey...

Yes, Muckross Head is close, and superb! Bedded layers of solid sandstone and soft mudstone give a spectacularly overhanging jugfest of a crag, with a beautiful wave washed platform below...there are a few classics at HS/VS/HVS - for me the standout route in this group is The joy of frogs HVS 4c. E1 only has a few routes there, at E2/E3 and up the crag is at it's best (although I've never done harder than E3 there, which was Elvis - a fab route!) There are a few minor crags in Fermanagh...limestone stuff, check out http://www.climbing.ie for details. Not great climbing though. In the Bluestack mountains (near Donegal town) There is some beautiful granite multipitch rock - and you are guaranteed solitude! Also, you have to make trips to Fair Head, and the Mournes, and the Burren...let me know when you are going, and I can give you some contacts...unfortunately (or fortunately!) I'm in Australia at the moment, so can't climb there with you! Gear wise, bring everything - Muckross responds well to good overhang strength and medium friends, plus a few surprising hueco threads...all the granite needs friends really, two sets if possible for the mournes and the Donegal granite...the Burren - rocks on wire are the mainstay here. Good luck. Oh, and a good website is www.irishclimber.com

Domhnall

[ This Message was edited by: amygdala on 2002-12-02 07:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: amygdala on 2002-12-02 07:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: amygdala on 2002-12-02 07:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: amygdala on 2002-12-02 07:19 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook