RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

Partner rich

Nov 21, 2002, 1:51 PM
Post #1 of 8 (952 views)
Shortcut

Going to the Bathroom on an Expedition
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ladies, I need some advice for my wife. I am taking her to Ecuador in January for some mountaineering. In our discussions we finally got to the topic of going to the bathroom UP THERE not only around the hut but also the fact that she will have to stay roped up on the Glacier to do her business. If anyone has been to any of these mountains and knows what to expect or if you have any advice for her we'd both certainly appreciate it. We have been looking for clothing for her with drop seats and zip out crotch areas, but the more she knows the more comfortable she'll be.

Thanks

climberchic

Nov 21, 2002, 5:41 PM
Post #2 of 8 (952 views)
Shortcut

Going to the Bathroom on an Expedition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there

Try this thread.

It has a lot of helpful advice for your very situation!

~Erica

rckjk

Nov 22, 2002, 10:31 AM
Post #3 of 8 (952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is this thing called a freshette. It's a funnul shaped well like it needs to be with a little hose, They just use is and pee like a guy. Great thing you should be able to find it at your outdoor store

rollingstone

Nov 25, 2002, 11:14 AM
Post #4 of 8 (952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rich: I have done numerous climbs on glaciers with ladies that have needed to stop and take or business; everyone knows up front that we all need to address these concerns, and so we all agree to look the other way and give a person the privacy they need for the time. Nearly every lady I have climbed with has not had a problem with it; it is a little hard to relax when your quads are burning, though...

mreardon

Nov 25, 2002, 4:12 PM
Post #5 of 8 (952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are concerned about having something in the tent like the boys (pee-cannister) then check out things like the freshette. If it is a concern about peeing on the hike itself, whether sport, weekend, or 30 day trips, we just have a conversation up front to show some decency and turn away. After the first couple "awkward" times, it won't matter and you can enjoy the climb.

kcrag

Nov 25, 2002, 10:50 PM
Post #6 of 8 (952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Save the freshette & bottle for the tent (if she doesn't want to go outside to freeze her booty off).

As for during the climb, yes, by all means wear bibs that have FULL side zips. This allows you to drop your butt-side and easily pull down your thermals. Many companies make bibs with the suspenders attached to the front 1/2... making them truly 'drop seat' bibs.

As far as I know, I would avoid the crotch zipper-- it will make it much more difficult to do your business if you're wearing additional layers (which she more than likely will), unless you want to carry the freshette with you.

As for peeing around others (#2 might be a different story!)... fellow climbers will respect the duty and turn their heads. While ice climbing, and in a funky spot, I had to pee yesterday very near 6 men and not one of them looked. I think we're old enough to be past that!

One more trick to pass along. If you do find yourself in a situation where you have to pee and are uncomfortable and can't... then hold your breath. That helps. Another option is to have a trusted friend tell you a story while you try to go (with their back turned to you, of course). What works for me is any story about frogs. By the time the person telling the story gets to naming the characters (all frogs, of course)... I'm sure to go!!! You can laugh, if you'd like... but this has saved me from involuntary bladder eruption many 'o times.

Good luck.

-kelly.

ropegirl

Nov 26, 2002, 4:38 PM
Post #7 of 8 (952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend lent me a great book:

"How to Sh*t in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art"
by Kathleen Meyer

It's geared more toward camping and hiking, but there's some dandy info in there.

Amazon carries it for about $8. Happy reading.

rosemom3

Dec 9, 2002, 2:11 PM
Post #8 of 8 (952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info about the freshette. I hadn't heard of it. Was recently the dummy volunteer for a tyrolean emergency rescue and spent half a day on top a tower that was maybe 15 feet across with 6 guys. I really had to go, and they offered to hang me over the side but I just couldn't (there were tourists watching us as well) Decided next time to just deal with it and go. Was in some pain by the end of the day. Glad to know we all deal with this emotionally as well as physically.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)
$22.46 (10% off)
$18.86 (10% off)
$14.58 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook