RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

HIGHER_CLIMBER

Mar 16, 2009, 1:50 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1648 views)
Shortcut

first time rope climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A friend and I went out to New Jack yesterday to do some rope climbing. It was my first time using ropes. My buddy has been using ropes for the last 10 years. I was nervous as shit, because I'm not to fond of heights. We started on Custom Made 5.7 (ya ya, pussy I know). My friend lead it no problem, and set up a tope rope for me. I did it just fine, but damn my head was messing with me. Next we moved over to Taylor Made 5.8 (see, I'm working toward 5.13 lol) Again, my friend lead it, and set up a top rope. I got to the part where you can use the crack or go to the left and do more face climbing, and decided to give the crack a shot. I couldn't find much at the start of the crack, and then the wind started picking up. After telling myself to breathe and relax, I was able to find the holds and feet and went up no problem. I was near the top, and I can barely hear someone questioning my belayer. I instantly felt like I was 'off belay'. I yelled down to make sure everything was good before I went anywhere. Too much wind, so he couldn't hear me. Remember my fear of heights? To this point I hadn't looked down on either climb, and I wanted to keep it that way. I yelled again, but no one yelled back. Instead of assuming my belay was good, I looked down to see if I could see him. Everything looked good so I finished the last few moves and then was lowered to the ground. I asked my partner what happened, and I guess someone was making sure he was holding the brake correctly. They both confirmed everything was good.

After all of this, my fear of heights hasn't gone anywhere, but my control of that fear is a little better. I did learn that hand signals are important anytime you rope up, not just when it's a big climb.

After taking a lead climbing class, I'll lead some climbs out there. To this point tho, I've only have lead belaying instruction.

sungam

Mar 16, 2009, 2:28 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HIGHER_CLIMBER] first time rope climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Head problems will be rife for the first few times you start getting above "casual" heights.
It's like a rollercoaster - it's scary, worrying, and all you can think about is "what if". You've just got to come to trust your gear wholeheartedly and understand that, like a rollercoaster, everything is trustworthy.
Unless your leading and it's trad with poor pro, at which point the game changes a little.

The whole "ne fear" thing is BS, fear is what keeps you alert and aware. Once that caution and prudence goes, you're life will rapidly follow. Be aware of you fear, and listen to it when necessary, but don't let it dictate your every action. You are out there to have fun, after all.

climbingam

Mar 17, 2009, 4:51 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For me there has always been a difference in types of fear. There's a) this is intense and scary because I'm 30' off the ground vs. b) I'm crossing the redzone while leading- usually getting to the decking/runout level and the climb is hard for me.

The first keeps me aware and focused as sungam says. The other I listen to and I either bear down or back off but I give it serious consideration.

Separating these two keeps me (see disclaimer below) from over respecting one and under respecting the other. Sounds like you are right where you are supposed to be, probably better than being too trusting of the systems involved like some people new to the sport.

full disclosure- I'm relatively new as well but sometimes I think relatively inexperienced climbers give good advice to complete beginners because we are more in touch with the feelings and issues. That being said, I'm not going to be giving you advice on safety or anything, I'm learning as well.

Good Luck!

Farnzi

Apr 2, 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good job!

pylonhead

Apr 3, 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HIGHER_CLIMBER wrote:
My buddy has been using ropes for the last 10 years
I asked my partner what happened, and I guess someone was making sure he was holding the brake correctly. They both confirmed everything was good.

This just seems odd to me. Your partner's been belaying for 10 years and people are calling him on his toprope technique?

pendereki

Apr 3, 2009, 5:20 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pylonhead] first time rope climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pylonhead wrote:

This just seems odd to me. Your partner's been belaying for 10 years and people are calling him on his toprope technique?
Agreed, Unless they were trying to learn something from your friend, you might want to be a little apprehensive of his skills. Just because someone has climbed for 10 years does not mean they know what they are doing!
Also, when toproping is should be obvious if you are on belay---If you move up and the slack is not taken up immediatly, your belayer is not paying attention. Especially if it is your first climb and you are admittedly scared, the belayer should be pulling up enough that you can feel the rope at all times.
CM

kaizer27

Apr 3, 2009, 7:45 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pendereki] first time rope climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

very cool and congrats. I am terrified of heights, i don't like step ladders. But I climb and normally am shitting myself until I fall for the first time. To me the fear and excitement are what it is all about, forcing myself to confront it and conquer it. Crazy rush isn't it?

I have a picture somewhere with me doing the death grip on the side of a pitch, scared out of my mind...on a top rope. lol. I will never forget that because it was the first time i had been that high (100 ft) off the deck and I got in trouble on the route and basically froze up until my grip broke. I did a massive 3 inch fall. Sat there for about 30 seconds and composed myself and then had the most fun I have ever had for the rest of the day.

(This post was edited by kaizer27 on Apr 3, 2009, 7:48 AM)

HIGHER_CLIMBER

Apr 4, 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pylonhead] first time rope climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was the guy asking him who was incorrect. Like I said, they confirmed that he was belaying properly. My partner has climbed for about 10 years, but has taken a break from climbing for about 7 years, and just recently started using ropes again. I later learned that the anchors weren't good. He was never taught about proper anchors :/ Until I take some anchor building classes, among a few others, I'm only climbing with experienced and 'safe' climbers.

Edit in bold

(This post was edited by HIGHER_CLIMBER on Apr 4, 2009, 10:39 AM)

HIGHER_CLIMBER

Apr 4, 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kaizer27] first time rope climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks kaizer. A lot of different emotions going on when getting up there. But it is fun to confront the fears and let them know whats up! I wonder what it's gonna be like on multi-pitch!

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook