Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Summer in Costa Rica
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

WheresTheFire

Jan 28, 2009, 1:58 AM
Post #1 of 21 (14546 views)
Shortcut

Summer in Costa Rica  (South_and_Central_America: Costa_Rica)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm spending two months in Costa Rica this summer, and I'm pretty sure there's no guidebook. There's a gym in San Jose, and supposedly the only way to find the climbing areas is to talk to the locals. That's what I know.
If anyone has actually been there, or knows of a better way to get around, your information would be very much appreciated. Also if anyone wants to go, I'm still looking for a partner for a few of the weeks I'll be there.

Lookin_for_the_thrill

Feb 16, 2009, 3:52 PM
Post #2 of 21 (14467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WheresTheFire] Summer in Costa Rica [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DUDE, im thinking bout going down to South America this summer too. I was just looking around at some rock climbing in a few places in South America, not sure where i wanted to go yet. I was thinking about going to Costa Rica or Argentina and adventuring out to surrounding cities and countries if i could. When are you planning to go? Have you ever been down there before?

WheresTheFire

Feb 16, 2009, 5:20 PM
Post #3 of 21 (14452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lookin_for_the_thrill] Summer in Costa Rica [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I already have my tickets, and I'm booked to be there from May 28 to July 28. I'll have the whole month of July free there. I've never been there before, but I'm doing my homework. There's some climbing that I know of, but not a ton; but there are some great hikes. Let me know if you decide to go, we should try to meet up there.

Lookin_for_the_thrill

Feb 17, 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #4 of 21 (14428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DAMN, that sounds awesome. I am trying so hard to go down there. How much did you get your tickets for? Do you know where your staying? I was looking at those student hostels and those look like the cheapest thing i could find. And yea I bet the hiking there is BEAUTIFUL!!! Two months of surfing, hiking, climbing, and tons of other crazy shit. Not bad at all. :) Im not a PROFESSIONAL climber, but do it with a passion, and thats all that counts right? :) And what do you have planned for June down there?

Gmburns2000

Feb 17, 2009, 2:14 AM
Post #5 of 21 (14420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think felix83 is down there. you might want to give a shout that way.

WheresTheFire

Feb 17, 2009, 3:12 PM
Post #6 of 21 (14404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lookin_for_the_thrill] Summer in Costa Rica [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My tickets were super cheap -- around $400 because I booked them in January. The sooner you buy your tickets, the cheaper they'll be. I'll be going to school there in June, to learn how to speak Spanish. I'll be living with a family like an exchange student until the beginning of July. I'm sure that by the time I'm on my own in the country I'll know a little better where to go, so I'll probably be able to help more then. I'm counting down the days already!

WheresTheFire

Feb 17, 2009, 3:20 PM
Post #7 of 21 (14403 views)
Shortcut

Summer in Costa Rica [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and couchsurfing.org is probably what I'm doing to find a place to stay, at least for a few days. Camping and hostels will be sort of last resort.

Lookin_for_the_thrill

Feb 18, 2009, 7:00 PM
Post #8 of 21 (14375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh ok, Im a part of CS too. Thats cool. I am still REALLY wanting to go but still trying to see if i can work some stuff out before the summer time gets here. How much money have you saved up for your trip? And look me up on CS...WHERE_THA_PARTY_AT??? Alejandro Colmenero. :)

bobcr65

Mar 5, 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #9 of 21 (14278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, i'm a local climber and know the best spots to go climb. My email is bobcr65@hotmail.com.
It's great to hear you're intrested in climbing down here, there's not that nuch routes compared to other places but they're really fun
In reply to:

WheresTheFire

Mar 5, 2009, 3:00 AM
Post #10 of 21 (14267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bobcr65] Summer in Costa Rica [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,
It turns out I'll actually be spending 6 months in Costa Rica, traveling around. I'd love to do as much climbing as possible when I'm there, so if there's a way to connect when I'm there, that would be great!
Thanks!

bobcr65

Mar 11, 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #11 of 21 (14195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's cool you're going to be down here that long, that should give you plenty time to get to know the crags. Rainy season stinks cause you can only climb in one specific area, and that starts around the end of april and ends around november.
Let me know when you're coming and I can show you around and introduce you to our (small) climbing community.

sana_sono

Mar 25, 2009, 4:34 PM
Post #12 of 21 (14087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hope you don't mind me butting in on your chat about climbing in costa rica but i'm visiting myself in about two weeks time and really want to do a climb whilst out there. any ideas of where is best?

MegR

Apr 17, 2009, 1:46 AM
Post #13 of 21 (13918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive had a trip planned for over 3 months to puerto viejo, limon. however my best friend just backed out on me last minute and now it will be a solo adventure. i am a 23yr old female and am concerned about my safety and even finding stuff to do myself. i will have no one to spot/belay/or do anything with. is there even any bouldering in my area? i have a house rented on the beach from april 23-june 8, and hate to miss out on this opportunity....

acorneau

Apr 17, 2009, 2:41 AM
Post #14 of 21 (13898 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MegR] Summer in Costa Rica [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MegR wrote:
... i am a 23yr old female ... finding stuff to do myself. i will have no one to ... do anything with.... i have a house rented on the beach from april 23-june 8, and hate to miss out on this opportunity....

Just kidding! Angelic Just too good to pass up.Cool

WheresTheFire

Apr 17, 2009, 3:46 AM
Post #15 of 21 (13875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MegR] Summer in Costa Rica [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure how much help this will be to you, but I thought I'd let you know:
I am living with a family for the month of June, but I'll be flying into San Jose on May 28, and will have a few days to hang out before I can stay with them. If you're still looking for a climbing partner/travel companion, I may be able to hang out until June 1. Let me know.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much. I'll be alone in the country for a few months, and I believe as long as you're smart it's pretty safe. Don't travel with anything expensive, and don't announce that you're alone when you get there. I've heard the people there are very kind.

nightkitchen

Apr 24, 2009, 1:31 AM
Post #16 of 21 (13800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Just bought my ticket to CR for the whole month of June, and just found this discussion. Glad to see there're other climbers down there!

I'm not a lead climber -- is it likely I'll be able to find some folks I can tag along with for a few climbs as a follower?

gofalls

May 14, 2009, 7:19 PM
Post #17 of 21 (13622 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nightkitchen] Summer in Costa Rica [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am headed to Belize July 10th and then headed South through Guat, Nica, Costa Rica, maybe Panama. No real plans... Just wininging it. Hit me up if you want to meet up to climb/surf whatever.

beiteasy

May 29, 2009, 1:57 AM
Post #18 of 21 (13495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just got to san joaquin today and will be in the heredia/san jose area for the rest of the summer. so if anyone is there and wants a partna or knows any good routs/problems holler, cause im desprate for a climb already.

Also, wherestthefire, saw your at KU, im at Gettysburg myself... so roots.

WheresTheFire

May 29, 2009, 7:52 PM
Post #19 of 21 (13469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beiteasy] Summer in Costa Rica [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the downtown San Jose area right now until Sunday afternoon, so if anyone wants to climb please let me know! I just hope it isn't raining like this tomorrow...

bobcr65

Jun 6, 2009, 5:21 AM
Post #20 of 21 (13386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nightkitchen] Summer in Costa Rica [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's rainy season, so most areas are pretty wet. If you want to do some outdoor climbing go to Cachi, it's a 50mt wall, it's a little bit overhaging so it never gets really wet. Routes go from 5.7 to 5.12d, and the wall is not even half developed. If you're in san jose go to mundo aventura, the climbing gym and you should be able to get some partners.
If anyone is intrested in opening routes our climbing asociation is starting a route opening program so any help would be appreciated.

WheresTheFire

Jun 14, 2009, 7:03 PM
Post #21 of 21 (13320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the information. I'm actually in San Pedro for another two weeks, so hopefully I'll be able to get out sometime before I leave for Playa Grande.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook