Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
work in the boulder area
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

coolcatpet4e

Mar 29, 2009, 5:23 PM
Post #1 of 13 (8407 views)
Shortcut

work in the boulder area  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Boulder_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I might be moving to Boulder for the summer, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of places to work in the outdoor recreation field.

Thanks,
Pete

braaaaaaaadley

Mar 29, 2009, 5:29 PM
Post #2 of 13 (8398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcatpet4e] work in the boulder area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In this economy you would be hard pressed to find work in Boulder. Especially not in the outdoor field since everyone your age who lives there already is trying to find the same work. Sorry to burst your bubble. I have a friend that has been looking for a job since August and he still has no leads. Goodluck!

Partner angry

Mar 29, 2009, 5:34 PM
Post #3 of 13 (8389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The most you could hope for would be trail work. Even that's pretty slim. Of course you could work at a restaurant and still have time/energy to climb.

coolcatpet4e

Mar 29, 2009, 5:41 PM
Post #4 of 13 (8384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] work in the boulder area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I could give a little information about myself...
I am an Adventure Recreation major with a fairly extensive background in the back country, I have my WFR cert, and swift water rescue cert. I have a good amount of experience leading the the back country and I have training on working with individuals with disabilities. There is much more, however those are the basics. Do you really think trying to find work in the outdoor recreation field will be impossible for the summer?

Partner angry

Mar 29, 2009, 6:22 PM
Post #5 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not impossible but improbable.

I know of a few people with your qualifications who didn't even get an interview for minimum wage jobs doing the same thing.

I think you can get a job just about anywhere but Boulder though, if that helps.

coolcatpet4e

Mar 29, 2009, 6:32 PM
Post #6 of 13 (8355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea that's what I have found, I have found plenty of jobs in my desired field just not in boulder. Oh well I guess I will keep trying.

-Pete

altelis

Mar 29, 2009, 6:33 PM
Post #7 of 13 (8355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coolcatpet4e wrote:
I guess I could give a little information about myself...
I am an Adventure Recreation major with a fairly extensive background in the back country, I have my WFR cert, and swift water rescue cert. I have a good amount of experience leading the the back country and I have training on working with individuals with disabilities. There is much more, however those are the basics. Do you really think trying to find work in the outdoor recreation field will be impossible for the summer?

Dude....I don't mean to be flippant or a jack-ass, but you should know that you aren't actually as qualified as you think you are. Especially in towns in the Front Range that are currently "outdoor meccas". You should understand that you are, almost, a dime-a-dozen.

I'm sure that the West sounds really cool and appealing, but without (strong) personal connections already in place within the local industry you really don't stand that much of a chance.

I can tell you, however, if you are interested in leading longer-term trips (like 3-6 wk) out west or around the world with high-school kids, the company that I worked for is always looking for people with technical backgrounds. They are much more able, for whatever reason, to allure people with great group-building "outdoor ed" skills but not people with over-the-top technical skills. Check them out. Training is outside of the Colorado Springs- getting there is on you. After that they pay you salary every day, ALL travel expenses during the summer, food/board between trips, etc. http://www.theroadlesstraveled.com

highcamp

Mar 29, 2009, 6:36 PM
Post #8 of 13 (8355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you know somebody in the outdoor industry here, and that someone is an actual decision maker in their respective company, then you might have a very slim chance (likely only if someone gets canned or drops dead, since most companies aren't expanding and very few people are voluntarily leaving their jobs these days). Otherwise, it's like the previous posters said.

As for qualifications, not to be the downer, but you can lob a dart here in Boulder and the chances it'll hit someone with very similar qualifications to yours are extremely high. The training/working with individuals with disabilities experience might take 2 or 3 darts, but there are a lot with that qualification as well.

Work the who-you-know angle HARD and don't be shy about asking for introductions. If you have some saved up cash and plan on working in the outdoor industry long term, it might be worth just working pro bono at an organization so as to get some visibility within the local industry and thus hopefully getting a foot in the door for when a job opportunity does come up.

Best of luck to you.

coolcatpet4e

Mar 29, 2009, 6:45 PM
Post #9 of 13 (8346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] work in the boulder area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

By the way I do not think I am super qualified by any means, however I am looking to start my outdoor recreation career and so this is my start. I realize that in a town like boulder especially I am at the end of the line, but boulder is where most of my friends are, and its a fun place, so that where I will be.

However I do have a couple years experience leading 2+ week white water canoe, kayak, and hiking trips, so I do have some experience, but probably not as much as I should if I want to break into the field in Boulder.

Thanks for the help,
-Pete

altelis

Mar 29, 2009, 6:59 PM
Post #10 of 13 (8330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are looking specifically for summer work i would suggest seriously looking for work with companies like I suggested (Road Less Traveled, Adventures Cross Country, Overland, etc., etc.)

Staff tends to be less "permanent" (college students who only work in 4 year cycles) so odds are better of getting work. You already have experience with longer trips, which is better than most college students applying for these jobs.

I realize that you weren't trying to say you were "overqualified". I think my point (whether it came across well or not) was that you NEED to be overqualified to get a job like that in Boulder, etc. It felt like you were giving credentials to say you were above the chaff. In most places, you are. In Boulder you aren't. So I'm suggesting looking for places where you will be well/over qualified. Secure a good job for the summer. The great part of those jobs (in the first paragraph) is everything (ie room/board) is paid for, so all money goes into your bank account. THEN after the summer you have a nice cushion to either go and road trip till ski season comes and you work patrol/teaching or you use that money to move somewhere in the shoulder season (i.e. fall) and start looking for work living off that (not real huge) "cushion" you saved. That, or a lot of those companies need off-season staff but can't get college kids to stick around. You could do that as well.

Since you have White Water experience I would suggest going down to Moab or Vernal. They have quite a few guide companies down there, and a couple are actually centered on "educational" trips as opposed to a guided experience (ARTA in Vernal and 2/3 in Moab whose names are eluding me now).

You should learn to market your skills. Part of that is not moving to a saturated market. Boulder is rad. I agree. Honestly though, the only way I am going to move there now is if I get my residency there (only a couple years down the road.....Crazy). Its a rad place, but by NO means the only rad place to live that lifestyle. Look other places where you stand a chance of making a living......

Any other specific questions you have, lemme know, and I'll do my best to answer....

altelis

Mar 29, 2009, 7:02 PM
Post #11 of 13 (8324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PS- If Road Less Traveled looks like a place you'd like to work for lemme know.

Its a VERY small company (part of what I really liked about it), and I'm still in good contact with the owners. If you are interested, PM me with a copy of your resume, and then we can chat. If you sound like a good dude with the credentials you think you have, I'd be happy to at least make a call saying "check this guy out and give him an interview"....

coolcatpet4e

Mar 29, 2009, 7:07 PM
Post #12 of 13 (8320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks a lot for the beta, we might be in contact soon, I am waiting on a few replies already, but I appreciate the help.

-Pete

altelis

Mar 29, 2009, 7:09 PM
Post #13 of 13 (8315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no worries. just lemme know if you wanna chat.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook