Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner missedyno

Nov 22, 2002, 5:13 PM
Post #1 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

hair removal opinions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Opinions?

I've met girls who are outdoorsy and never shave. never shave anything. one couple i met, her leg hair barely grew in anymore, i'm assuming it was rubbed off over the years from clothing.

I totally respect the "i will not alter myself for looks" but personally, i just don't think i could go without shaving my armpits.

What about when you're camping? I go natural when i'm camping but tend to attempt keeping up with things when i'm back in the city.

Discuss! Is society imposing this standard on us, or is this just something you do for yourself?

farasnyl10

Nov 22, 2002, 5:21 PM
Post #2 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

hair removal opinions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i think it's a personal decision. i find i like the feel of having smooth legs and armpits, but i think if i could get past the stubble stage, i might like being a little hairier as well. (i have a friend who always talks about the great feeling of wind in her leg hair ) I usually just shave, but think i might try waxing, as the results last longer, and usually grow in finer.

russmanswife

Nov 22, 2002, 5:47 PM
Post #3 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay this is a little gross when i was pregnant i couldn't shave mostly because i just couldn't get around the belly first thing i did after i had my son was take out the razor and shave. i personally just can't stand it i would much rather have smooth legs has nothing to do with society or anything just my personal preference.

rockwomyn

Nov 22, 2002, 6:11 PM
Post #4 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WEll i have done both....for a long time i never shaved my pits...i don't know i was going through the phase of if you like me you like me for how i am...hairy or not. now i shave every other day or so. I like to shave my pits cause i think that the area around the shoulder...armpit...bicep area is very sexy on a woman....even more so with some muscle definition and smooth pit. so needless to say i like to shave to look sleeker and to feel so also. i enjoy feeling my legs rubbing together smoothly....but if i miss a few days...well that's life.

Outdoors i usually just let it go and wait until i am able to take that most amazing shower after numerous days of playing in the dirt.

Shaving is a pain...but damn the Venus razor ROCKS!!!!

thomasribiere

Nov 22, 2002, 6:42 PM
Post #5 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a girl friend who was hairy, and I didn't reaaly care about it. When she decided to shave, I found it better anyway.

"Natural" skin is widespread in north Europe.

climbchick

Nov 22, 2002, 6:58 PM
Post #6 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never shave if I'm camping, but I usually keep up with it when I'm at home. I like having smooth legs, personal preference -- if I didn't care, I wouldn't shave, regardless of society's "standards". I really hate that prickly feeling, especially if someone runs their hand down my leg so I always shave if I know I'm going to be getting close to someone.

russmanswife

Nov 22, 2002, 7:04 PM
Post #7 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not only does smooth feel better but you know your legs get really sensitive when the hairs come in contact with anything at least mine do when they start getting long.

Partner missedyno

Nov 22, 2002, 7:07 PM
Post #8 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah for sure, i decided to do the waxing thing this summer... it was great until the hair started to grow in, and then you have to leave it so it gets long enough to wax again. wasn't that comfortable. after a while i thought "this is ridiculous, and expensive"
i love the feeling of a fresh shave, it just doesn't last that long on me. dang welsh background!

my partner shaves too, his pits and chest about once a week. it's his preference and something he likes doing... i have to say i'm not a fan of a lot of pit hair on guys....

russmanswife

Nov 22, 2002, 7:49 PM
Post #9 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i want to try waxing too but i can't do it myself and it is just too expensive to go to a salon have to wait and do as a treat for myself... kind of sadistic huh?

enigma

Nov 22, 2002, 9:45 PM
Post #10 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Waxing is definately the best. I never have any stubble on my legs,when the hair grows in its smooth and light. I just get the lower half of a leg done. The upper portion is fair and smooth,never shaved it.
Recently I've done my armpits, it hurts but it lasts for a long time. The benefit of waxing is that when it does grow its much softer and not as noticeable.When I was on my four month road trip I had waited a long time and it still wasn't bad. Of course if your very blond you probably don't need waxing either.

climberchic

Nov 22, 2002, 11:52 PM
Post #11 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have very dark hair (Sicilian ancestry ) and have been wanting to look into waxing...what are some of the prices you girls pay to get, say...the lower half of your legs done?

Until then, I second the Venus razor nomination for best hair removal

Partner missedyno

Nov 23, 2002, 2:06 AM
Post #12 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mtngeo is a funny guy.

climberchic: i hear ya on the ancestry. i'm welsh so i have thick curly hair, and well, you know.... waxing for me was $55CAD for lower leg. it was really cool at first but i went too soon a couple times and messed it up. you have to wait until alot grows in if you want a good job....

for instance: say you have 4 stages of hair growth and you go when only 2 stages have grown in... well they stay out for 6 weeks but the other two stages are just under the skin about to sprout. that was my mistake... i just can't be bothered to let it grow in... shaving feels like i'm doing something for myself....

hey i'm posting here when i should be moving... oops... dang site...

Partner missedyno

Nov 23, 2002, 2:50 AM
Post #13 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

funny ha ha of course

enigma

Nov 23, 2002, 6:39 AM
Post #14 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cost 25 dollars for lower leg.. Armpits I think is 15 dollars. sometimes you can make a deal if you need a lot of waxing, doing everything at once . Generally most women can get waxed after a week or two of growth Generally since I've always only waxed the lower half of my leg it might be 4 weeks until I have enough regrowth . Each women is different on this,just go in and ask in one of these places.

katydid

Nov 23, 2002, 1:59 PM
Post #15 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried sugaring my legs and ended up with a shin full of ingrown hairs. Ugh. So waxing hasn't even been a consideration.

I shave my legs in the summer because I hate getting scrapes and whatnot and having the added insult of having a zillion leg hairs being pulled out in the process. OW! The only time I shave 'em in the winter is when I'm wearing tights, because I hate the feeling of tights/nylons smearing my leg hairs in unnatural directions.

I tried not shaving my pits, but I didn't feel like the ol' deodorant was working as well. Not good.

And I'd like to add another vote for the Venus razor! I have had very few shaving lacerations (I don't go in for those little girly nicks ) since I started using it.

Kate

enigma

Nov 23, 2002, 6:51 PM
Post #16 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think if you continue to shave your legs, and trying other methods-doing it yourself with sugaring,there's bound to be less than good results.
Waxing works best done by a professional or a competent friend,and not shaving also to acheive success.The most negative aspect of waxing is expense, and a tiny bit of pain especially in sensitive areas.

climberchic

Nov 23, 2002, 8:23 PM
Post #17 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$25? That's not too bad...

Maybe I'll try that a few times this winter and see if it works better for me. I don't mind the shaving so much, but in the winter, it's so cold when I get up to shower (ues it gets cold in AZ ). One drafty breeze while I'm trying to shave and...OUCH!! Razor burn from hell.

Being a virgin waxer, I'll come back and let everyone know how I fared But I think I'll stay away from the sugaring

~Erica

esimhs99

Nov 24, 2002, 2:34 AM
Post #18 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shaving is something that i do not really like to do. i only do it about every 1.5-2 weeks. sometimes it gets annoying, so i do it earlier, but mostly i just forget about it. i also find that even with shaving, if you let it grow longer before you shave, then it does not grow back as fast. we used to have leg hair growing contests in high school (my friends and i did) and i always won! hahaha

moey

Nov 24, 2002, 4:57 AM
Post #19 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's totally something to that theory! I shave once every...who am i kididng!? I'm lucky if I get bothered to do it once a year. But on those rare occasions (besides the hour it takes me to do it!!!) it grows back realllllly realllly slowly.
I used to shave them all the time until about my third year of high school. I wore a uniform kilt but totally couldn't be arsed to keep the practice up (it was a girls school, who was looking!?!)
I don't think there's too much to the societal angle (in response to your question, fawkes) -- I've never dated a guy who cared. I guess they might if it was super sharp and prickly, but I think shaving so infrequently is why it grows back all soft....
Ooh, this one turned into a ramble. apologies!

Partner missedyno

Nov 25, 2002, 11:01 PM
Post #20 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

now i remember why i stopped waxing... the crazy ingrowns!

phew... and i almost went for it this week... no thanks!

between the ingrowns and the waxing i felt so high maintenance i couldn't do it. too much commitment.

like my navel piercing a few years ago. when i found out everything i had to do to nurture it, i took it out. lasted not even 2 weeks.

esimhs99

Nov 25, 2002, 11:25 PM
Post #21 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(sidenote) i have mine pierced and it was NASTY when it was healing, and i had to clean it a lot during the day...but after that there was noting i had to do to maintain it. it just hangs out there and does its own thing. i have had it for about 5 yrs now

enigma

Nov 26, 2002, 5:29 AM
Post #22 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the side of waxing,I will admit that the underarm area,which I had mostly shaved does get ingrown hairs. So if you now shave and have been the waxing results will not be as successful as if you never shaved that particular area. However if you allow the hair to grow and try not to shave again, the plight of ingrown hairs should be lessened. Good luck, one other thing,if you have cuts from climbing,waxing might make them open and bleed again. So wait until you legs are not so scraped up, if that is possible.

My legs are very smooth and soft now,I think you'll like the results..

climberchic

Nov 26, 2002, 5:53 AM
Post #23 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome advice

Thanks Enigma and the rest of the ladies!

danielb

Nov 26, 2002, 10:03 AM
Post #24 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know at least one male skier who used to ski allot like on the junior national team. He is the usual hairy scots man apart from the lower half of his shins which are totaly smooth and hes never shaved them or waxed them. He thinks it was wearing ski boots so much when he was younger...

Danielb

mwbtle

Nov 26, 2002, 3:22 PM
Post #25 of 51 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was a swimmer back in high school, and swam on a US team and all that (no, I'm not that good, they let anyone on those things, no lie). Anyways, we weren't allowed to shave anything but our pits during the season, so we increased drag, and then we shaved everything for champs. I never got into the habit of shaving my legs too much, because of that the hair is still blond and light. Which works out well for me, but I still like the feel of smooth legs on occasion (as does my boyfriend).
-Melissa

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook