Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Adk

Apr 4, 2009, 1:11 PM
Post #1 of 47 (13676 views)
Shortcut

Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hey folks we are having a Moss Island Clean-up day on May 23, 2009 (this year!) from 9AM to Noon.
We will be raking the lawns, picking up trash, trimming and removing brush and weeds along with mowing the lawn at the base of the rock routes.
http://www.ptny.org/...ebration/index.shtml
If you have a rake, loppers even hand pruners that would be great if you could bring them along. An extra push lawn mower would be nice to have too. If you have an extra bag of fertilizer that you would like to donate bring that would be greatly appreciated. We are also going to be moving some of the rock at the base of Seduction Crack and Snow White
That area needs some TLC for sure.
If you have any questions feel free to shoot them this way.
The City of Little Falls, thank you Mayor Peters, will be picking up and hauling away any organic debris that we neatly pile.
Of course we are going to climb after!!!!Laugh What would a day be at Moss Island without a sending Jeff Loves Eileen, Peach Fuzz or even Fred P Jones. This is not an all work and no play dayCool

(This post was edited by Adk on Apr 4, 2009, 6:16 PM)

DeeS

Apr 4, 2009, 1:16 PM
Post #2 of 47 (13673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Great idea! I'll plan for that Saturday and I'll have the family there.
I'll bring the loppers.Wink

Adk

Apr 4, 2009, 8:02 PM
Post #3 of 47 (13639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DeeS] Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TTT

c4c

Apr 4, 2009, 8:33 PM
Post #4 of 47 (13636 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have 3 things already scheduled for that day but if I can swing it I will be there.

Adk

Apr 4, 2009, 9:21 PM
Post #5 of 47 (13631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Todd, That would be great if you could make it. Please pass the word on if you would.

Dave

taydude

Apr 4, 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #6 of 47 (13623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll get a group from Rochester to come out. We're all college students though. No mowers or anything. I think my room mate has a shovel I could borrow. What can we do to help?

Adk

Apr 5, 2009, 2:56 AM
Post #7 of 47 (13600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That sounds great. Bring a rake or two.
We'll get some tarps together as well as a few wheelbarrows too.
A truck with some topsoil would be great to fill in those uneven spots...It would be nice to have this if someone can swing it.

Adk

Apr 5, 2009, 3:20 AM
Post #8 of 47 (13593 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just thinking a bit here. I do know we need 4 -2x10 to replace the damaged ones that are currently on the benches there. Redwood type stain as well as a black paint to the bench frames.
If anyone is up for this please do step forward.
Thanks

Dave

Adk

Apr 12, 2009, 1:09 PM
Post #9 of 47 (13544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TTT

rhythm164

Apr 12, 2009, 3:14 PM
Post #10 of 47 (13535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is the town not keeping the place neat anymore? I remember a bunch of days when public works was out there landscaping.

Adk

Apr 12, 2009, 5:51 PM
Post #11 of 47 (13524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There has never ever been any landscaping done at the island. There has been fill brought in by the NYS Canal Corp in the past though.
There has been some mowing performed by the city as well as the Canal but that is is.
Hope you are coming to the even.Wink
Bring a pick axe if you have one. There are some honeysuckle stumps that need to be popped.Shocked

rhythm164

Apr 12, 2009, 7:01 PM
Post #12 of 47 (13521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
There has never ever been any landscaping done at the island.

Must have been an optical illiusion thenCrazy

Adk wrote:
Hope you are coming to the even.Wink

That's going to be a long commute from Northern Cali

Adk

Apr 13, 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #13 of 47 (13501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rhythm164 wrote:
Adk wrote:
There has never ever been any landscaping done at the island.

Must have been an optical illiusion thenCrazy Must have been. I live here and we all know nothing has been done.

Adk wrote:
Hope you are coming to the event.Wink

That's going to be a long commute from Northern Cali
We can give you an award for the longest commute.Pirate LOL.
Maybe next year you'll be able to make it.Tongue

Dave

rhythm164

Apr 14, 2009, 4:19 AM
Post #14 of 47 (13484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doubtful

Adk

Apr 26, 2009, 12:06 AM
Post #15 of 47 (13387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We already have two trees coming but we need a third.
Please contact me if you are interested in donating a tree.
So far the turnout looks like it will be great.

Dave

jclimbs

Apr 26, 2009, 1:46 AM
Post #16 of 47 (13381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm hoping to come. Of course, that means you're getting a guy who can't use his good arm right now (shoulder surgery), but I'm also trying to talk my wife into coming along.

Adk

Apr 26, 2009, 2:50 AM
Post #17 of 47 (13379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jclimbs] Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, sorry to hear about your shoulder. Hope you and your wife can come. It should be a great day. I think we're having a BBQ after too!
I know of one gas grill that can make it.Laugh

jclimbs

May 12, 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #18 of 47 (13272 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As the date approaches, some questions:
Where should we meet in the morning? I've never been to Moss Island, so some detailed directions would be good.
Also, what should we bring? We don't have a lot of equipment, but a couple rakes, gloves, etc. if you need 'em.
We drove by it on I-90 last Saturday, but it was raining cats'n'dogs so we didn't see anything at all.

sbaclimber

May 12, 2009, 2:46 PM
Post #19 of 47 (13257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jclimbs] Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jclimbs wrote:
We drove by it on I-90 last Saturday, but it was raining cats'n'dogs so we didn't see anything at all.
Even without the rain, the island's a bit too far removed from the thru-way to be visibleWink

Adk

May 14, 2009, 12:48 AM
Post #20 of 47 (13238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get off exit 29A of the NYS Thruway. Drive from there about 1.5 miles until you see a NYS canal Lock Lock 17.
You can turn left before the big bridge ahead of you and park below the bridge but you should have a climbing permit if you intend to climb. That can be obtained at the fire station, during the weekends or at the clerks office during the week.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...entral/Little_Falls/
Rakes are fine to bring. A weed eater if you have one will allow the grass to be cut closer to the rock itself.

As of right now we have two trees that are being donated.
I'm bringing a gas grill for anyone to use there too. So if anyone is coming and wants to use it to cook up some fresh food for themselves it's available.
I'm also bringing my mower but if anyone wants to bring another that would be cool. Quicker as well.Wink

There is somewhat of a berm of loose gravel/crushed stone that runs much of the length of the roadway that would be nice to rack back into the road if we could. An area of staghorn sumac and quaking aspen needs some attention as well. I'll be bringing the loppers for this area. A pair of hand pruners would be good in the area of Dance the Volcano so that it opens access to the Dripping Wonder area.

Bring your smiles as well. I'm hoping to put together a big group photo at the Jeff Loves Eileen Wall, climbers on the wall and non-climbers at it's base. Some of the non-climbers will be girl scouts and their families.
It should be a cool day for climbers and non-climbers to get together and enjoy such a local treasure.

There is no rain date. My mower runs if it rains and no one is made out of sugar.

DeeS

May 16, 2009, 2:51 PM
Post #21 of 47 (13200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We will be there. I will be bringing my family and some other friends. Can't wait!Smile

freedan

May 16, 2009, 5:00 PM
Post #22 of 47 (13190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
We are also going to be moving some of the rock at the base of Seduction Crack and Snow White

What is wrong with the bottom of Snow White/Sister Moonshine? A few big boulders, not unstable, no hindrance to starting the climbs. I know Moss is turning into a giant outdoor climbing gym but it doesn't need to be sanitized completely does it? Besides its not like the group hordes of new climbers all over Jeff Love Eileen ever try climbing down on that end.

Thanks for cleaning up, my wife and I take away garbage with us every time we climb there, usually a couple of weeknights per week and on weekends when it is the most convenient option.

Adk

May 17, 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #23 of 47 (13155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [freedan] Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

freedan wrote:
Adk wrote:
We are also going to be moving some of the rock at the base of Seduction Crack and Snow White

What is wrong with the bottom of Snow White/Sister Moonshine? A few big boulders, not unstable, no hindrance to starting the climbs. I know Moss is turning into a giant outdoor climbing gym but it doesn't need to be sanitized completely does it? Besides its not like the group hordes of new climbers all over Jeff Love Eileen ever try climbing down on that end.
Climbski a 5.3 is in fact sandwiched between both climbs.
Hope to see you there. Bring a mower.Wink

(This post was edited by Adk on May 17, 2009, 11:07 AM)

freedan

May 17, 2009, 3:04 PM
Post #24 of 47 (13132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
freedan wrote:
Adk wrote:

Climbski a 5.3 is in fact sandwiched between both climbs.
Hope to see you there. Bring a mower.Wink

Climbski (5.5) is climbers right of Cindy/SnoWhite. The 5.3 between Seduction and Sister Moonshine (the climb w/ long reach off the sloper to the l. of Cindy) is Cool-Headed.

Thanks again for cleaning up (still don't think the place needs to be landscaped into a park but ...), doubt we will be able to attend, skiing Mt. Wash next weekend. Probably be climbing down there a few nights though. If I leave a few car tires and other junk I know of piled beside the access road will the city pick that junk up?

Adk

May 17, 2009, 9:29 PM
Post #25 of 47 (13081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [freedan] Moss Island Clean-up- 6th Annual Canalway Trail Celebration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

freedan wrote:

Thanks again for cleaning up (still don't think the place needs to be landscaped into a park but ...), doubt we will be able to attend next weekend. If I leave a few car tires and other junk I know of piled beside the access road will the city pick that junk up?

The clean-up??...you are very welcome!
Thanks for the quick correction in the routes. LOL
Hook, line and sinker....Tongue 5.3 and 5.5 are beginner climbs just like Jeff Loves Eileen. The area of Snow White and Seduction is an area that beginners do climb and it certainly will get some attention this next weekend.

I'll be there every day in the later afternoon this week. Hope to see ya.
Enjoy your evening but please keep your trash home.
Our city pays enought to dispose of what we have.
Dave

(This post was edited by Adk on May 17, 2009, 9:35 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook