Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
"Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?"
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All


clee03m


Apr 7, 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #1 of 31 (3576 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 29, 2004
Posts: 782

"Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

After a 100+ hour work week followed by a particularly grueling climbing day, I was looking a bit hagged at work this morning. In the locker room, one of my coworkers looks at my face and at my legs, and said with concern,

"Who....is hurting you?"

I explained that I rock climb, and that sometimes you get bruises on your legs, and she nodded unconvincingly with pity in her eyes.


tigerlilly


Apr 7, 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #2 of 31 (3565 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Posts: 564

Re: [clee03m] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

LOL!

I once had a co-worker suggest I could save myself a lot of time and money by simply throwing myself down a flight of stairs each weekend, as the results would be similar.

Kathy


gblauer
Moderator

Apr 7, 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #3 of 31 (3530 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2002
Posts: 2814

Re: [tigerlilly] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I can remember when I first started climbing (6 months into it) we climbed Devil's Tower. We were there for a couple of days, sumitted twice the first day and 1x the xecond day. Since I was such a noob, my footwork was terrible. My legs were COVERED in bruises from my toes to my thighs.

I am happy to say, that as my footwork improved, my bruising incidents have declined dramatically. That's not to say I don't occasionally bang the hell out of one of my knees!

Truth be told, I am proud of my bumps, bruises and callouses.


lena_chita
Moderator

Apr 7, 2009, 1:11 PM
Post #4 of 31 (3510 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5701

Re: [clee03m] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

At one of my annual check-ups I got seriously grilled about whether I feel safe at home, and whether I am in a violent relationship.

Really, I do it to myself, doctor!


lvpyne


Apr 7, 2009, 1:17 PM
Post #5 of 31 (3508 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Posts: 207

Re: [clee03m] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Your story made me laugh!

It reminded me of a trip to Mount Lemmon five years ago or so, with more or less the same question. I had taken a huge whipper and looked like hell -- split both my lips, my nose was purple and swollen, abrasions, etc. Truly stunning. My friend (this nice, quiet guy who is an engineer) opted to not point out how bad this looked before we went in to Tucson to grab some dinner. We'd been camping all week and showed up at some restaurant, rather feral looking. I went to wash up while he grabbed a table and this really nice, well-meaning lady followed me to the restroom. She told me that things "didn't need to be like this", "there are places that can help", etc. It took me a minute to figure out what she was talking about. She remained unconvinced when I explained that I had fallen rock climbing -- she even gave me a card for a domestic shelter in Tucson.

I was impressed that someone would offer help, albeit misguided for me and my poor friend who got really dirty looks the entire time we were eating dinner. Smile


tigerlilly


Apr 7, 2009, 3:05 PM
Post #6 of 31 (3481 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Posts: 564

Re: [gblauer] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
I can remember when I first started climbing (6 months into it) we climbed Devil's Tower. We were there for a couple of days, sumitted twice the first day and 1x the xecond day. Since I was such a noob, my footwork was terrible. My legs were COVERED in bruises from my toes to my thighs.

I am happy to say, that as my footwork improved, my bruising incidents have declined dramatically. That's not to say I don't occasionally bang the hell out of one of my knees!

Truth be told, I am proud of my bumps, bruises and callouses.

Fortunately, my footwork has improved, too. Here's an old photo from after my first multipitch climb. I bruise like a tomato..

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...sed_Shins_82608.html

Kathy


climbingam


Apr 7, 2009, 3:06 PM
Post #7 of 31 (3481 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 4, 2009
Posts: 57

Re: [clee03m] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've had the same worries about people thinking I abuse my wife. Though it's not usually from climbing. We joke that she gets more bruises getting to the climb than actually climbing. She looks good on the rock, but scrambling skills, well that's an area we are working on.


wonderwoman


Apr 7, 2009, 4:04 PM
Post #8 of 31 (3465 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [clee03m] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well... If only you all would just learn to listen!!!!

Angelic


htotsu


Apr 7, 2009, 4:40 PM
Post #9 of 31 (3447 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 10, 2005
Posts: 673

Re: [clee03m] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You should've looked behind you, then leaned in to whisper, "El Capitan" before running away.


gblauer
Moderator

Apr 7, 2009, 5:35 PM
Post #10 of 31 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2002
Posts: 2814

Re: [tigerlilly] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tigerlilly...Nice photo of the shins. That's just what I looked like after Devils Tower. So crazy that we do this to ourselves and we ENJOY doing it!


lhwang


Apr 7, 2009, 6:18 PM
Post #11 of 31 (3413 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2005
Posts: 582

Re: [clee03m] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hee.

On another note...

100+ hours? I can say with almost absolute certitude that I will never, ever do that again.


clausti


Apr 7, 2009, 6:23 PM
Post #12 of 31 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2004
Posts: 5690

Re: [lena_chita] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
At one of my annual check-ups I got seriously grilled about whether I feel safe at home, and whether I am in a violent relationship.

Really, I do it to myself, doctor!

this thread has cheered me up in a weird way.

like when someone actually asks to see my ID for my credit card, which has "CHECK ID" written in the signature area.


tigerlilly


Apr 8, 2009, 5:14 AM
Post #13 of 31 (3361 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Posts: 564

Re: [lena_chita] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
At one of my annual check-ups I got seriously grilled about whether I feel safe at home, and whether I am in a violent relationship.

Really, I do it to myself, doctor!

Ya' know, that doesn't neccessarily sound any better.....

Wink


Kathy


lena_chita
Moderator

Apr 8, 2009, 7:48 AM
Post #14 of 31 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5701

Re: [tigerlilly] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

tigerlilly wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
At one of my annual check-ups I got seriously grilled about whether I feel safe at home, and whether I am in a violent relationship.

Really, I do it to myself, doctor!

Ya' know, that doesn't neccessarily sound any better.....

Wink


Kathy

No, it doesn't if you put it that way. Umm, the rock did it to me...

Not any better, huh?


lena_chita
Moderator

Apr 8, 2009, 7:53 AM
Post #15 of 31 (3340 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5701

Re: [clausti] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
At one of my annual check-ups I got seriously grilled about whether I feel safe at home, and whether I am in a violent relationship.

Really, I do it to myself, doctor!

this thread has cheered me up in a weird way.

like when someone actually asks to see my ID for my credit card, which has "CHECK ID" written in the signature area.

Yeah, I know. While I was a little annoyed that my insistence that everything was fine, and no one was beating me and I was not trying to hide anything was not immediately accepted, I appreciated the doctor who took time to ask these questions b/c some woman somewhere might BE the victim who needed this help.


clee03m


Apr 8, 2009, 9:52 AM
Post #16 of 31 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 29, 2004
Posts: 782

Re: [lhwang] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
100+ hours? I can say with almost absolute certitude that I will never, ever do that again.

That was because I worked the whole weekend. If I average out my work week for the whole month, I think it ends up being about 65 a week. But it's OK because I still get a lot of climbing. For example, this week, I have 2 weekdays and the weekend off. Minus the husband, I would be climbing 4 whole days outside, but for conjugal bliss, only 3 days.

I need more than just technique to avoid bruises. I really need to learn to manage my gear better. Being forced to run out at the end of the pitch with a flaring offwidth desperately jamming my legs...I can tell you, it was not a pretty picture.


clausti


Apr 8, 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #17 of 31 (3303 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2004
Posts: 5690

Re: [clee03m] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
lhwang wrote:
100+ hours? I can say with almost absolute certitude that I will never, ever do that again.

That was because I worked the whole weekend. If I average out my work week for the whole month, I think it ends up being about 65 a week. But it's OK because I still get a lot of climbing. For example, this week, I have 2 weekdays and the weekend off. Minus the husband, I would be climbing 4 whole days outside, but for conjugal bliss, only 3 days.

I need more than just technique to avoid bruises. I really need to learn to manage my gear better. Being forced to run out at the end of the pitch with a flaring offwidth desperately jamming my legs...I can tell you, it was not a pretty picture.

i nicknamed my #2 "leapfrog" this weekend. Laugh


Partner happiegrrrl


Apr 8, 2009, 2:55 PM
Post #18 of 31 (3245 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 4615

Re: [clee03m] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had a climbing partner for a while who had to wear knee pads, she bruised so easily.

It WASN'T that she was using knees/shins to get up the route. She honestly had extremely sensitive skin that bruised if she so much as brushed the rock face.

I don't get bruised skin, but by my second day at Jtree, I look at the front of my shins and see bloody scabs along the bone. I certainly don't rub my poor legs along that grit! But even just the same - a slight touch and the skin seems to get scraped off.

But for the OP - I hope that coworker isn't going to be the type who might start unfounded rumors in the workplace. They don't sound very sensitive in the way they broached what could be a truly traumatic situation. Putting a victim of abuse on the defensive(posing that question in such a demanding way) is far from an effective way to assist a person who really is being beaten.


grampacharlie


Apr 8, 2009, 5:17 PM
Post #19 of 31 (3234 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 25, 2006
Posts: 388

Re: [lvpyne] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lvpyne wrote:
Your story made me laugh!

It reminded me of a trip to Mount Lemmon five years ago or so, with more or less the same question. I had taken a huge whipper and looked like hell -- split both my lips, my nose was purple and swollen, abrasions, etc. Truly stunning. My friend (this nice, quiet guy who is an engineer) opted to not point out how bad this looked before we went in to Tucson to grab some dinner. We'd been camping all week and showed up at some restaurant, rather feral looking. I went to wash up while he grabbed a table and this really nice, well-meaning lady followed me to the restroom. She told me that things "didn't need to be like this", "there are places that can help", etc. It took me a minute to figure out what she was talking about. She remained unconvinced when I explained that I had fallen rock climbing -- she even gave me a card for a domestic shelter in Tucson.

I was impressed that someone would offer help, albeit misguided for me and my poor friend who got really dirty looks the entire time we were eating dinner. Smile

This is awesome... kindaSmile
If everyone looked out for each other like that, the world might have a few less troubles...
and a few more good stories.


aerili


Apr 8, 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #20 of 31 (3194 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 12, 2006
Posts: 1166

Re: [happiegrrrl] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
I had a climbing partner for a while who had to wear knee pads, she bruised so easily.

It WASN'T that she was using knees/shins to get up the route. She honestly had extremely sensitive skin that bruised if she so much as brushed the rock face.

This is me. I wear my self-made kneepads most of the time. Although they are not huge or bulky, so they do not get all the abuse and I end up with bruises on some parts of my knee anyway.

I also get small bruises up and down other parts of my lower legs which most climbers don't experience. I think my connective tissue disorder has a lot to do with this phenomenon.....$#%$#&*(^


granite_grrl


Apr 9, 2009, 4:10 AM
Post #21 of 31 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14800

Re: [aerili] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
I had a climbing partner for a while who had to wear knee pads, she bruised so easily.

It WASN'T that she was using knees/shins to get up the route. She honestly had extremely sensitive skin that bruised if she so much as brushed the rock face.

This is me. I wear my self-made kneepads most of the time. Although they are not huge or bulky, so they do not get all the abuse and I end up with bruises on some parts of my knee anyway.

I also get small bruises up and down other parts of my lower legs which most climbers don't experience. I think my connective tissue disorder has a lot to do with this phenomenon.....$#%$#&*(^
What makes it so that some people bruise more easily than others?

I used to think I brusied easily (and I probobly do more easily than someone like my husband), but after my last surgery where I barely bruised at all I'm thinking it's not as bad as I thought.


reno


Apr 9, 2009, 5:59 AM
Post #22 of 31 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 30, 2001
Posts: 18283

Re: [granite_grrl] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
What makes it so that some people bruise more easily than others?

Several things can lead to this. Everything from clotting disorders (thrombocytopenia comes to mind,) to simply having very little subcutaneous tissue to "pad" the impact.

Another dynamic is skin pigment... those with very fair skin will show even the slightest bruise. Those with darker pigmented skin won't.


petsfed


Apr 9, 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #23 of 31 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8589

Re: [lena_chita] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
At one of my annual check-ups I got seriously grilled about whether I feel safe at home, and whether I am in a violent relationship.

Really, I do it to myself, doctor!

My girlfriend got asked that exact question at her annual checkup a few weeks back.

We'd been climbing offwidths all weekend.


aerili


Apr 9, 2009, 1:23 PM
Post #24 of 31 (3100 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 12, 2006
Posts: 1166

Re: [granite_grrl] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
What makes it so that some people bruise more easily than others?

Also dermal thickness. Hence why men bruise less than women--they have thicker dermises. (Also why you are less likely to see cellulite on them--the thickness of the dermis prevents the fat cells that push against it and the basement membrane from showing through.)

Also why older people bruise more easily than younger people--the dermis gets thinner as we age. Also, fat often increases as well, making cellulite worse.

I think my extraordinary propensity to bruise is because my skin's basement membrane has a problem with its fibrillin content due to my connective tissue disorder. I don't know if this could explain the bruising for sure, but nothing else seems to make sense when compared to other women my age.


wonderwoman


Apr 10, 2009, 8:55 AM
Post #25 of 31 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [aerili] "Who....is [i]hurting[/i] you?" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Also dermal thickness. Hence why men bruise less than women--they have thicker dermises. (Also why you are less likely to see cellulite on them--the thickness of the dermis prevents the fat cells that push against it and the basement membrane from showing through.)

As a pasty white bruiser, this is nothing more than depressing! On top of all things, now I have cellulite to look forward to? Frown

Also, do any of you get the 'trad rack' bruises? I always get bruises on my upper thigh on my right side where my rack is hanging.

I can identify the culprit cam by the size of the bruise. This is my #1 BD Bruise... That one is a .75 bruise... Ouch - this one is my 3.5 bruise!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$62.06 (10% off)
$44.96 (10% off)
$14.36 (10% off)
$4.05 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook