Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tube_dude

Apr 9, 2009, 4:21 AM
Post #1 of 41 (2151 views)
Shortcut

supertopo generation - uh oh!?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

No offense, to CM and his supertopo guidebooks, he's filling a niche, obviously talented and smart, but what what are his guidebooks doing for climbing's future?

Am I the only one who thinks (super)topos that tell you what size piece to put in what crack, what size gear you'll need for a belay, and how to surmount difficulties along the way sort of overdoing it? Isn't part of the lure of climbing the adventure? And pulling out a topo while climbing and looking to see what piece you should plug in isn't adventure. I understand the desire to gather info, and get prepared, but they seem a little much. And the really scary thing, and the reason for my post, is that some climbers I've met simply can't function without them. It's like a dependence. They want the crux etc. mapped out. I'd say "to each his own", but some of these climbers are the kind who drag areas down to the lowest common denomenator (retrobolting mindset... make it "safe"). Anyone else share this opinion? or shed any light on it to change my mind?

(This post was edited by tube_dude on Apr 9, 2009, 4:27 AM)

meahtots

Apr 9, 2009, 4:35 AM
Post #2 of 41 (2130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tube_dude] supertopo generation - uh oh!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i think if you want adventure, then go find adventure. that may be by not reading supertopo, or that may be by finding more obscure routes, or that may be an FA.

its not an epidemic, its a convenience.

tube_dude

Apr 9, 2009, 4:40 AM
Post #3 of 41 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meahtots] supertopo generation - uh oh!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The question was not how to find adventure...

What are his guidebooks doing for climbing's future?

(This post was edited by tube_dude on Apr 9, 2009, 4:41 AM)

ShibbyShane

Apr 9, 2009, 4:59 AM
Post #4 of 41 (2098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, as a beginning climber (beginner defined as <2 years experience by some other thread around here), I have to say that I find the supertopo books to be extremely useful. Having a description tell you what size pro you need on a given route is great because, well, I may not have a huge rack with triples of every size. That description could save me the hastle of getting on something that I figure out I can't protect half-way up. And knowing that the crux is on the second pitch or halfway through the first pitch is nice so you know to conserve energy, push through the section before trying to place pro, etc etc.

As far as I can recall, there are very few, if any, times where the books will say "this is how you pull through the crux" or "place size X cam here" (except for your aforementioned comment about saving certain sizes for anchors).

Also, as far as the books saying to save certain sizes for anchors, I again find that to be helpful; as a new climber I can't adapt as easily to situations that I'm not prepared for, such as getting up to an anchor spot and not having the right size pieces!

I do, however, understand your concern. I don't want every handhold on every route to be mapped out to memorize before getting on the rock. That's the whole fun of climbing outside! You gotta figure out where the hell to go.

I still say that the supertopo books are good for a number of reasons. Especially after trying to decipher some of the Falcon guidebooks my friends have, haha.

My 2 cents.

seeds

Apr 9, 2009, 5:01 AM
Post #5 of 41 (2097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what are link cams doing to climbings future? now any asshole can just plug and chug..... whats the point of your question? are you suggesting a guide book is going to comprimise climbings future. probably not. it gets people stoked on getting on a route. climbings a pretty individual thing and if someone needs the crux beta for serenity crack to get on it, good for them, its an awesome climb. you can choose to use it yourself or not. plenty of adventure left in climbing homey...the scariest thing about the books are peoples dependance on them? first of all, you can only depend on them for places that are documented in them, yosemite for example....and if anything they make that circus waaaay safer by eliminating problems in an area with a high climber concentration. the sheeple need a shepherd

(This post was edited by seeds on Apr 9, 2009, 5:06 AM)

ryanb

Apr 9, 2009, 6:18 AM
Post #6 of 41 (2057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There have always been n00b's in this sport, history just doesn't remember them as well. My dad was an average climber in the alps and California in the 60's and has told me quite a few stories from the less glamorous half of golden age climbing. Clubs and guides played a bigger role back then ...I think many casual climbers were content to climb primarily on sierra club outings etc. Now many are willing to buy a rack of cams and a couple of books and give trad leading a go.

People have always and will always make this sport as adventurous or as safe as they choose. The availability of good route info, trip reports, weather forecasts etc lets those at the cutting edge hang it our on harder and harder things just as it lets the rest of us stay safe on harder things.

The golden age for us is now and If you are concerned about areas being dragged down then you need to lead and inspire by example and educate through good natured camaraderie.

granite_grrl

Apr 9, 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #7 of 41 (1978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Of all the things that are draging climbing down, you choose the supertopo guides to focus on.

PJA7

Apr 9, 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #8 of 41 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If people want adventure in climbing and think supertopo will take this away from them, then they don't have to use it. Personally I don't really care about adventure in climbing. I'm not trying to climb in an environment where I could actually get seriously injured, and I don't know why this appeals to some of you. However, I don't go around ranting about how you're all ruining the climbing world by making climbing look dangerous and making outsiders more opposed to it.

I think that the problem of people retrobolting every route in the sake of safety is a separate problem and not caused by the use or not use of topos.

GeneralZon

Apr 9, 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #9 of 41 (1936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To each their own. If the ST books really bother you so much, hit the crag without it then. Take minimal gear and have the adventure of a lifetime.

Partner j_ung

Apr 9, 2009, 1:23 PM
Post #10 of 41 (1912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tube_dude wrote:

Supertopo guides are doing absolutely nothing for -- nor to -- MY climbing future. As long as I get to climb how I want, I don't care at all what other people do.

Partner j_ung

Apr 9, 2009, 1:25 PM
Post #11 of 41 (1909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] supertopo generation - uh oh!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Of all the things that are draging climbing down, you choose the supertopo guides to focus on.

The only thing dragging my climbing down is my fat ass.

Partner j_ung

Apr 9, 2009, 1:26 PM
Post #12 of 41 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] supertopo generation - uh oh!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

And actually, since becoming unemployed, I'd have to say my own climbing future looks pretty good. Smile

dlintz

Apr 9, 2009, 1:42 PM
Post #13 of 41 (1886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
tube_dude wrote:

Supertopo guides are doing absolutely nothing for -- nor to -- MY climbing future. As long as I get to climb how I want, I don't care at all what other people do.

Well said.

d.

petsfed

Apr 9, 2009, 2:03 PM
Post #14 of 41 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tube_dude wrote:
what size gear you'll need for a belay

Isn't this standard? If an anchor requires certain pieces or it simply will not exist, it seems reasonable to me to at least say "save some hand sized pieces for the belay" or "bring a #4 friend for the belay". If I absolutely must have a #5 camalot for the belay, I'd kinda like to know that before I get to the belay, you know?

olderic

Apr 9, 2009, 2:23 PM
Post #15 of 41 (1827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] supertopo generation - uh oh!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
There have always been n00b's in this sport, history just doesn't remember them as well..

Exactly. I can remember being the greenish of noobs at the Gunks 35 years ago and getting exact beta (not called that) from 5 different people for a 5.easy pitch studded with fixed pins. Beta on the moves, the gear, the belay. Everything. The Supertopo guides are just tools. Maybe more efficient then what had been available but nothing revolutionary. No one is forcing you to use them - choose your own level of adventure and climb for yourself.

brotherbbock

Apr 9, 2009, 2:42 PM
Post #16 of 41 (1803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seeds] supertopo generation - uh oh!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seeds wrote:
what are link cams doing to climbings future? now any asshole can just plug and chug.....
Dude have you used link cams? you cant just plug and chug you still have to know what you are doing. yes they have more range than say your average C4 but you can't just throw a link cam anywhere and think it will hold you on a nice big whipper. i personally like link cams for use at belay stations where you might not always have the exact right piece to make a solid anchor. i just think that they have nothing to do with the topic at hand. yes there are assholes out there plugging away but it is not the fault of omega pacific.

billcoe_

Apr 9, 2009, 2:57 PM
Post #17 of 41 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tube_dude wrote:
No offense, to CM and his supertopo guidebooks, he's filling a niche, obviously talented and smart, but what what are his guidebooks doing for climbing's future?

Am I the only one who thinks (super)topos that tell you what size piece to put in what crack, what size gear you'll need for a belay, and how to surmount difficulties along the way sort of overdoing it? Isn't part of the lure of climbing the adventure? And pulling out a topo while climbing and looking to see what piece you should plug in isn't adventure. I understand the desire to gather info, and get prepared, but they seem a little much. And the really scary thing, and the reason for my post, is that some climbers I've met simply can't function without them. It's like a dependence. They want the crux etc. mapped out. I'd say "to each his own", but some of these climbers are the kind who drag areas down to the lowest common denomenator (retrobolting mindset... make it "safe"). Anyone else share this opinion? or shed any light on it to change my mind?

This was debated endlessly back when topos were first being bandied about the valley. Certainly by the time Meyers loose leaf topo book had come out it was a tired discussion. Here we are 35 or so years later.....still discussing it.

The correct answer is: Yes.

You're welcome!

sidepull

Apr 9, 2009, 3:10 PM
Post #18 of 41 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think you (the OP) are really concerned about climbing's future but its present. In the present moment, how does supertopo impact the level of adventure. If you were concerned about the future then you would advocate against any write up or description of a route (please see the first chapter of Jack Turner's "The Abstract Wild").

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your emphasis on the sense of adventure (I prefer magic) that one experiences during climbing. But I also appreciate history and understanding how things develop. History helps to secure a future for things, deleting history in the hope of retaining a false sense of adventure in the present should not be a sport-level decision but an individual decision (as other's advocated above). In other words, if ignorance is bliss for you, then don't log on to supertopo. But don't advocate for universal ignorance in the name of pursuing your own sense of adventure.

sidepull

Apr 9, 2009, 3:11 PM
Post #19 of 41 (1766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] supertopo generation - uh oh!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PS - I thought this post was going to be about generational differences between supertopo members and rc members (e.g. those old crabby hard guys vs. beanie wearing chest shaving know-it-all's).

seeds

Apr 9, 2009, 4:03 PM
Post #20 of 41 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brotherbbock] supertopo generation - uh oh!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brotherbbock wrote:
seeds wrote:
what are link cams doing to climbings future? now any asshole can just plug and chug.....
Dude have you used link cams? you cant just plug and chug you still have to know what you are doing. yes they have more range than say your average C4 but you can't just throw a link cam anywhere and think it will hold you on a nice big whipper. i personally like link cams for use at belay stations where you might not always have the exact right piece to make a solid anchor. i just think that they have nothing to do with the topic at hand. yes there are assholes out there plugging away but it is not the fault of omega pacific.

i was being cynical......

Partner angry

Apr 9, 2009, 4:06 PM
Post #21 of 41 (1701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All I've ever wanted from a book is how to get to the route and how to get down. A hint here or there is nice if it helps keep you on route.

I prefer not to take pages up with me but I have done it. Sometimes it's even helped.

rangerrob

Apr 9, 2009, 4:09 PM
Post #22 of 41 (1698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesn't the whole notion of a guidebook remove the adventure as well? But really, who cares? If someone wants to have it all mapped out for them who are you to tell them they are wrong. Just go climb and forget what everyone else is doing.

People said the same thing about sticky rubber, then about chalk, then about cams. Why are you not complaining about them?

RR

brotherbbock

Apr 9, 2009, 4:14 PM
Post #23 of 41 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

seeds wrote:
brotherbbock wrote:
seeds wrote:

i was being cynical......
yes, ............yes you were.

fresh

Apr 9, 2009, 4:31 PM
Post #24 of 41 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you gotta let people decide what's most important to them--the summit or the process? everyone sits somewhere on the spectrum. but significant advances in the sport are gonna be made only by people who search for new territory off the map. and if the next generation cuts their teeth on routes with supertopos, so be it. that's how progress is made.

patmay81

Apr 9, 2009, 4:47 PM
Post #25 of 41 (1636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
And actually, since becoming unemployed, I'd have to say my own climbing future looks pretty good. Smile
unemployment helped my climbing out a lot to. too bad I got hired back again!Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook