Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

angeleyes

Apr 9, 2009, 4:11 PM
Post #1 of 35 (11408 views)
Shortcut

how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi

I was top roping on some sport climbs in the Alabama Hills over the weekend for the first time.

The ones we did all featured two open hooks at the top which i've never top roped off of before. My leader went up and hooked up two draws to the hooks and ran the rope through them.

When done one of us went up, clipped to the anchor (I think we had to just put carabiner on the hook), cleaned draws, and put rope right on hooks for lowering, unclip, get lowered.

Is this the proper methodology for top roping off open hooks?

Seems a bit sketchy, but I guess hooks are commonplace?

thank you so much

acorneau

Apr 9, 2009, 4:42 PM
Post #2 of 35 (11355 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angeleyes] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

angeleyes wrote:
Hi

I was top roping on some sport climbs in the Alabama Hills over the weekend for the first time.

The ones we did all featured two open hooks at the top which i've never top roped off of before. My leader went up and hooked up two draws to the hooks and ran the rope through them.

When done one of us went up, clipped to the anchor (I think we had to just put carabiner on the hook), cleaned draws, and put rope right on hooks for lowering, unclip, get lowered.

Is this the proper methodology for top roping off open hooks?

Seems a bit sketchy, but I guess hooks are commonplace?

thank you so much

These "hooks" are called open cold shuts. They are common in many areas because they are readily available from the local hardware store. They are not as safe as the climbing-specific hardware, like the Fixe Super Shut or Sport Anchors, which have gates on them to keep biners/slings from coming off easily.

Putting a couple of draws on them for top-roping is an accepted practice because it puts your "wear and tear" on your biners, saving the permanent hardware. Putting the rope through the shuts for the final lower or rap is normal practice as well.

Alpine07

Apr 9, 2009, 4:49 PM
Post #3 of 35 (11346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is some stuff to read through, there is a ton of information out there on them. Only having a couple days total of sport climbing under my belt (I stick to trad, ice, alpine, and aid), I will not spew information about something I know nothing about.

http://www.safeclimbing.org/...ation/blindfaith.htm

http://books.google.com/...=result&resnum=4

http://books.google.com/...p;resnum=9#PPA105,M1

angeleyes

Apr 9, 2009, 5:00 PM
Post #4 of 35 (11327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thank you exactly what I needed to know.

gothcopter

Apr 9, 2009, 5:00 PM
Post #5 of 35 (11327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

When anchoring on open shuts like this, you can girth hitch runners to the shut rather than clipping onto it with a carabiner. With a carabiner on an open shut, there is a chance that the quickdraw could be lifted up and off of the shut -- particularly if someone climbs above the anchor. While the chance of this happening is pretty slim, the girth hitch method practically eliminates the risk.

As far as lowering off the shuts, if you know how to rappel and are comfortable doing so, then that is the preferred way to get down. Rappelling off and then pulling the unweighted rope down will put less wear on the shuts. If you go to a heavily trafficked area that uses shuts, you'll probably see some that have notches in the hooks from people lowering off them repeatedly. But if you're ever in a situation where you feel lowering will be safer than rappelling, go ahead and lower. (Keep in mind that a rope set up for rappelling or lowering can be lifted out of the shuts if you step up above the anchor.)

angeleyes

Apr 9, 2009, 5:03 PM
Post #6 of 35 (11316 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alpine07] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpine07 wrote:
Here is some stuff to read through, there is a ton of information out there on them. Only having a couple days total of sport climbing under my belt (I stick to trad, ice, alpine, and aid), I will not spew information about something I know nothing about.

http://www.safeclimbing.org/...ation/blindfaith.htm

http://books.google.com/...=result&resnum=4

http://books.google.com/...p;resnum=9#PPA105,M1

thanks

Yeh I have the john long book he doesn't really discuss much about the open variety more going into others like gated etc.

angeleyes

Apr 9, 2009, 5:07 PM
Post #7 of 35 (11305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gothcopter] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gothcopter wrote:
When anchoring on open shuts like this, you can girth hitch runners to the shut rather than clipping onto it with a carabiner. With a carabiner on an open shut, there is a chance that the quickdraw could be lifted up and off of the shut -- particularly if someone climbs above the anchor. While the chance of this happening is pretty slim, the girth hitch method practically eliminates the risk.

As far as lowering off the shuts, if you know how to rappel and are comfortable doing so, then that is the preferred way to get down. Rappelling off and then pulling the unweighted rope down will put less wear on the shuts. If you go to a heavily trafficked area that uses shuts, you'll probably see some that have notches in the hooks from people lowering off them repeatedly. But if you're ever in a situation where you feel lowering will be safer than rappelling, go ahead and lower. (Keep in mind that a rope set up for rappelling or lowering can be lifted out of the shuts if you step up above the anchor.)

Oh I like those ideas yes I think I'd trust a nice thick nylon runner girth hitched on each with maybe two oval carabiners per runner.

girth hitching oneself to it while putting up or taking down might not be a bad idea either. Maybe I'll connect myself with two runners one girth hitched one with carabiner, just for parnoia's sake.

good point on rap, yes I"d prefer to not wear down the community hooks.

thanks

shockabuku

Apr 9, 2009, 5:10 PM
Post #8 of 35 (11300 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
... called open cold shuts.

I have never understood this clear contradiction in nomenclature.

Open shut. WTF?!!1?

patmay81

Apr 9, 2009, 5:16 PM
Post #9 of 35 (11290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gothcopter] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gothcopter wrote:

I was just going to say basically this same thing. When climbing on a cold shut anchor I usually girth hitch runners and build an anchor rather than clipping draws. when rapping off I'll usually leave a rap ring and chunk of webbing or chord. of course this depends on the height/exposure/angle of the climb. I have rapped directly off of cold shuts, its about the scariest thing I can remember doing.

pylonhead

Apr 9, 2009, 5:25 PM
Post #10 of 35 (11282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The other thing you can do is to strip a biner off the tight end of your quickdraw and slide the now biner-less end over the hook.

It tends to form a very secure connection.

Partner angry

Apr 9, 2009, 5:31 PM
Post #11 of 35 (11274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A hardware store open-shut on a route is shit. The sooner it gets replaced with something real, the better.

If you wear it out sooner, maybe the route equipper will not have his head in his ass next time and replace it with something worth while.

Lower and TR with impunity. Junk deserves to be treated as such.

patmay81

Apr 9, 2009, 6:09 PM
Post #12 of 35 (11215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason I prefer to not lower/top rope off cold shuts is fear of the rope slipping off or the bolt spinning and dumping the rope off, or any number of things that could kill you from an open anchor hook as a primary source of protection.
I agree, these should not be used as anchors, any persons life should be worth more than the 79 cents you would save by using hardware store anchors.

bill413

Apr 9, 2009, 6:14 PM
Post #13 of 35 (11204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
acorneau wrote:

Open shut. WTF?!!1?

Well, my understanding is that the piece of metal is called a "cold shut." The fact that it is open is a reference to it's state.

Jumbo shrimp anyone? Tongue

Partner angry

Apr 9, 2009, 6:20 PM
Post #14 of 35 (11196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a low paid guy who does establish routes in his spare time, those things piss me off. If I can afford bolt hangers and real (powers) bolts, anyone can.

FYI, the 3/8" shuts are $1.89 each. I can get hangers from ClimbAxe for $1.75 and it's even stainless.

marc801

Apr 9, 2009, 6:40 PM
Post #15 of 35 (11169 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
I agree, these should not be used as anchors, any persons life should be worth more than the 79 cents you would save by using hardware store anchors.
While there was some cost savings, the motivation for open cold shuts was mostly due to pure laziness. The idea was that the leader would get to the shuts, drop a loop of rope in, and be lowered off immediately. No annoying, time consuming anchor/untie/theread/retie/lower sequence. Also the practice (hard to call it an ethic) at the time this type of anchor went in was that each person in the party would lead the route. The rope was pulled after each person lowered off, so there was actually less wear than if everyone TR'd.

Although not nearly as robust as the newer Petzl and Fixe stuff, a properly shut hardware store cold shut is adequate as a TR or rap anchor. An open cold shut otoh deforms to straight at around 800lb. I agree that at this point, open shuts should be considered junk and replaced with a proper anchor.

See: http://www.safeclimbing.org/...ation/blindfaith.htm

To the poster who mentioned the oxymoron of "open cold shuts": they're called a cold shut because they can be "shut" by simple bending, without heating the metal. After they are bent into position, they are supposed to be welded. From a hardware supply site:
In reply to:
Description: This looks like an open link, one end of which is male, the other female. It comes zinc-plated and galvanized.

Buying information: Cold shuts are available in various sizes, and are used to connect chain lengths or hooks.

How-to hints: To close a cold shut, use a heavy hammer to pound the male end into the female end. For more strength, weld the connecting point.

So when used as a climbing anchor - with a bolt through the "eye" - they are being used well outside of their design.

Interestingly, the actual metallurgy definition of cold shut is:
In reply to:
# (a.) Closed while too cold to become thoroughly welded; -- said of a forging or casting.
# (n.) An imperfection caused by such insufficient welding.

jt512

Apr 9, 2009, 6:49 PM
Post #16 of 35 (11155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angeleyes wrote:
gothcopter wrote:

Oh I like those ideas yes I think I'd trust a nice thick nylon runner girth hitched on each with maybe two oval carabiners per runner.

So, you're going to clip the rope through four carabiners? Is that what everyone else at your crag does?

In reply to:
good point on rap, yes I"d prefer to not wear down the community hooks.

First of all, stop calling them "hooks"; they're "shuts." Secondly, lowering off open shuts is perfectly acceptable. That's what they're there for. The whole idea is that when you arrive at the anchors, you can just flip your rope through the open shuts and lower off.

Jay

shockabuku

Apr 9, 2009, 7:43 PM
Post #17 of 35 (11090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
acorneau wrote:

Open shut. WTF?!!1?

Well, my understanding is that the piece of metal is called a "cold shut." The fact that it is open is a reference to it's state.

Jumbo shrimp anyone? Tongue

Exactly. I know why they're called that, I don't understand how people could have let those words come together to describe a physical object.

jt512

Apr 9, 2009, 7:57 PM
Post #18 of 35 (11073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
patmay81 wrote:
While there was some cost savings, the motivation for open cold shuts was mostly due to pure laziness. The idea was that the leader would get to the shuts, drop a loop of rope in, and be lowered off immediately. No annoying, time consuming anchor/untie/theread/retie/lower sequence. Also the practice (hard to call it an ethic) at the time this type of anchor went in was that each person in the party would lead the route. The rope was pulled after each person lowered off, so there was actually less wear than if everyone TR'd.

Although not nearly as robust as the newer Petzl and Fixe stuff, a properly shut hardware store cold shut is adequate as a TR or rap anchor. An open cold shut otoh deforms to straight at around 800lb. I agree that at this point, open shuts should be considered junk and replaced with a proper anchor.

So, how many of these straightened out open shuts have you seen on routes?

Jay

marc801

Apr 9, 2009, 8:22 PM
Post #19 of 35 (11040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
So, how many of these straightened out open shuts have you seen on routes?
Straightened out? Fortunately, none. Deformed? Several.
Half sawed through from excessive TR'ing? Many, but most of those have now been replaced.

jeepnphreak

Apr 9, 2009, 9:02 PM
Post #20 of 35 (11012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
A hardware store open-shut on a route is shit. The sooner it gets replaced with something real, the better.

If you wear it out sooner, maybe the route equipper will not have his head in his ass next time and replace it with something worth while.

I hate cold shuts and never use them for bolt hangers or anchors.

Angry, thank you for stating what need to be said Cool

jt512

Apr 9, 2009, 9:42 PM
Post #21 of 35 (10968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
angry wrote:

Yes, Angry, thank you for supporting jeepnphreak's irrational opinion. He apparently feels much better now.

Jay

jeepnphreak

Apr 9, 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #22 of 35 (10934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jeepnphreak wrote:
angry wrote:

Yes, Angry, thank you for supporting jeepnphreak's irrational opinion. He apparently feels much better now.

Jay

Yes, actually I do feel better. thanks for asking.
I just feel that there are better anchor options than cold shuts, considering that the articles I have read says that cold shuts can fail as low as 800 lbs. they are probably not going to fail on a top rope set up but you sure would not want to take much of a fall on those things.

jt512

Apr 9, 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #23 of 35 (10931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jeepnphreak wrote:
angry wrote:

Jay

Yes, actually I do feel better. thanks for asking.
I just feel that there are better anchor options than cold shuts, considering that the articles I have read says that cold shuts can fail as low as 800 lbs. they are probably not going to fail on a top rope set up but you sure would not want to take much of a fall on those things.

How much of a fall can you take on the top anchor of a sport route? The anchor is only used for lowering.

Jay

N_Oo_B

Apr 10, 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #24 of 35 (10898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's how I save money too! I use the 100lb rated beaners I got at walmart on all the routes I've bolted.

I figure there's two anchors, and no climber is over 200 lbs. Saves so much... glad to hear somebody else agrees with me Jay. I mean, hell they're only used for lowering, not falling on.

(This post was edited by N_Oo_B on Apr 10, 2009, 12:34 AM)

bill413

Apr 10, 2009, 12:58 AM
Post #25 of 35 (10881 views)
Shortcut

Re: [N_Oo_B] how to setup toprope on hooks aka cold shuts(?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

N_Oo_B - they have 100lb rated biners? That'd be fantastic for leading!!!

Most of the time, I'm not loading the biners at all. But, if I should fall, which might happen every 30-100 placements (trad) - I'd load the system with what - 2000 lbs? So, distributed (timewise) among the 30 + times I've placed them, I'd only have 66 lbs on the biner (average).

Should be safe, right?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook