RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

metoliusmunchkin

Oct 27, 2001, 5:33 AM
Post #1 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Work vs. Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How many of my fellow climbers being interrupted from their natural climbing routines from the hassles of work (or school for all of those younger).

Just recently I have found my work load cutting into many of my extra curricular activities such as climbing, and many of my training routines have been suffering because of it. This is really making me mad .

My school has now been enducted into the curriculum of 'world class schools' program, where the school is assessed by its teachers and its students. They have now made a rubric for 'world class schools' to follow. Every rule in this rule book (such as 'no homework on the weekends) have been broken by our unnatural school ethics.

I feel much better after getting all of this annoying energy or bad karma out of my system. It has really been bugging me for the past little while. I would just like to know what your take is on this, and if climbing is interfering with your work, or if work is interfering with your climbing. (Unless of course your work is climbing )

Thank you for your time in reading this long post.
Pat.

metoliusmunchkin

Oct 28, 2001, 12:18 AM
Post #2 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Work vs. Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What is this? No ones job interferes with the life of their climbing?

woodse

Oct 28, 2001, 1:11 AM
Post #3 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah both school and work some how sneak into my climbing time. I once heard someone say this about this very thing.....THATS LIFE!!!

hahahaha woodse

skupdogg

Oct 28, 2001, 5:27 AM
Post #4 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

work sucks, so does school, so you have 3 options:
1. win the lottery
2. get sponsored and climb professionally
or
3. suffer through work/school and really cherish your time on the rock.

beta

Oct 28, 2001, 5:56 AM
Post #5 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know why they call it work?, all the other four letter words were taken.

I think it was John Lennon who said that "life happens while your busy making other plans", true enough.

I constantly have to fit in the things I like to do with the things I have to do, it's the nature of the beast, one more quote, don't know who said it, "no one lies on their death bed and wishes that they had worked more"

Keep climbing,

Jeff

climberchk

Oct 28, 2001, 7:40 PM
Post #6 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hee hee hee! School and work revolve around my climbing. I started home schooling this year to focus on climbing, and work at two climbing gyms. I guess I'm lucky.

metoliusmunchkin

Oct 28, 2001, 11:21 PM
Post #7 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, you are all correct. Though this issue has been bugging me for quite a while, it has only become imprinted more upon me. Just tonight, I had to leave the climbing gym early to study for a history test. No worries, I know that free time becomes more and more scarce. I am reminded constantly of the hassles that will come to in the future.

I used to want to be a nautical engineer (or something like that) though, I realised that this would be a desk job and will include 'homework' if you will, and will contain many hassles. My mother is in the communications department in a company in Ontario called FedNor. Her hassles are endless, and her worries continuous because of her work place and her 'homework'. This (and own personal experiences) have driven me to choose a more simpler less hassling job (yet still acquire enough money, if possible ).

My father has the perfect job (for a climber). He is a labourer at a paper mill named Domtar (it's in an old town in Onatario: Espanola). He considers himself to be overpaid (and I, sorry to say, agree with him). For the amount of work he is required to undergo and for the money he makes, he has the perfect job, when he gets home, the hassles of work stay at work, and do not creep in to the comforts of home. A true climbers paradise (or anyone who enjoys a sport enough to spend a lot of time into it).

Climb On.
Pat.

Partner camhead

Oct 29, 2001, 1:41 AM
Post #8 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a topic! Right now I am deep into the final year of undergraduate college, and I am finding very little time to climb. I went yesterday for the first time in two weeks, and could barely do 11a. Life sucks when you can't climb.

stardust44

Oct 29, 2001, 1:57 AM
Post #9 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely don't get to climb as much as i would like. I have school and get home from practice after school at like 5. And then i have to do hw and have clubs and stuff. I get to climb all weekend though usually
and sometimes i skip practice to get more climbing in (shhhh! not many people know that)

But yeah, i wish i was able to climb a lot more. Chk, u are soooo lucky! I didn't know u were homeschooled!

downshift

Oct 29, 2001, 4:41 AM
Post #10 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Work gets in the way of climbing... Climbing gets in the way of work.... It's a vicious cycle.

badawg2002

Oct 29, 2001, 6:59 PM
Post #11 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can honestly relate to your complaint. Being a senior in high school, school and other extra-curriculars leave me with little time to climb. But i have found a solution. I get the opportunity to attend college out west (university of washington) so i can get an education and climb. With life, you have to find a balance. I've found mine, and you need to find yours. You need to enjoy the time you have at the gym now and not complain about it. If anything, being away from the gym will enable you to love it more. So just take some time and think about what you really want to do. If u can afford it, quit the job and get sponsered and CLIMB. If you can't, enjoy your rock time.. :wave:

metoliusmunchkin

Oct 31, 2001, 1:38 AM
Post #12 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not think that we should (or do so now) limit this topic solely to climbing. (Although, that is the main topic, since, we are on rockclimbing.com). Work can often interfere with other passtime, leisure, and sports that we love to do.

If someone loves to play baseball per say, and he has a job working as an accountant. He has a huge shinney game of baseball set up between the local team, and some of his friends tonight. Suddenly, his boss enters his tiney cubical and informs him that he will be needing him to stay late after work to make some changes to the company newsletter (which by the way is multiple pages). This poor young man is now forced to call up all of his buddies telling them that he can't make it to the big game. Poor Mr. Accountant!

I'm sure that climbing (and other sports) will get in the way of work aswell, though I think mostly that it is the other way around. Those of us who have a job working at a local gym, or as a climbing instructor (not too mention those of us who have a 'low homework job' - such as a labouror or a ganitor, or a macanic etc.) should be thankful that their job permits them to enjoy their job, and at the same time enjoy climbing.

For those of us unfortunate few, who find ourselves bombarded with work hassles and workloads should simply (as most of you said) enjoy the time we have now to climb, and count out those presious moments of adrenaline pump on the rock (or plastic).
As I have stated earlier I hope to get a low stress, low workload job (with adequate $ of course) which allows me to pusue the things I love, especially climbing.

Climb On, and I hope you do some 5.12's.
-Pat.

laplaya

Oct 31, 2001, 2:19 AM
Post #13 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You think it's bad that you dont have time to climb? my girlfriend has so much school work that she doesnt have time to see me. Some people say that absence makes the heart grow fonder...beware to those of you that think that. Someday it just might make the heart become very un-atached and find someone else that has time for him. This is not a threat...she never logs on and will never see this. it is just a warning to others like her.

metoliusmunchkin

Oct 31, 2001, 2:43 AM
Post #14 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beerandblood: I certainly have considered freelance writing, this would leave multiple climbing times for me! My dream job! (Do they make a lot of money? I have considered writing a novel, as a career, though hopefully it will be successful, and that I will receive millions of dollars! Don't worry beer; I'll cut you in on some of that too!)

Though, back to the subject. I used to have a girlfriend who lived far away from me, we never found the time to meet up with eachother, or see eachother because of our addresses. Absence, unfortunately does not make the heart grow fonder.

At this time, my 'longtime no see' girlfriend is the sport of rock climbing. And unfortunately, absence of rock climbing does not make you improve as fast. I have now 'semi-learned' how to MAKE time for bouldering and rock climbing. I think making the time for a certain leisure time, is harder than putting it off. I find that making time is one of the hardest parts of anyone's busily scheduled life.

~Pat.

davyk46

Oct 31, 2001, 6:26 PM
Post #15 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

man i hate that school and work get in the way. like this past weekend, i had planned a trip to camp out friday night and then climb all day saturday at local climbing spot and we did get to go all the way down there and i just happened to bring my cell-phone alone just in case my girl wanted to talk to me. it just happened that a couple of people just got up and quit at my job so i was call early sat. morning(right when we were setting up a top rope for this little climb) and i had to leave them to come to work. i was so mad at my boss that day i didn't talk to him for the whole week.

krillen

Oct 31, 2001, 7:45 PM
Post #16 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortuantely Beer, findign what your heart wants to do is a trial in itself. That's where I am right now. Unhappy with my job and directionless. So dropping this and doing something else would be foolish until I decide where I want to go.

iclimb512s

Oct 31, 2001, 9:32 PM
Post #17 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WORK SUCKS I HATE WORK.

metoliusmunchkin

Nov 1, 2001, 12:20 AM
Post #18 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes following your heart can be a great ordeal, though life is what you make it, and what it shall always be. Following your hear is actually quite simple, though it is your sub-concsious that will second guess your heart into doing some thing completely different.

I followed my heart, and it lead me to climbing. I followed the bus and it lead me to school. Boath of these things meen a great deal to me, and boath often cut in on eachothers time, though they are two very important things to me, and I must respect that. How many of my fellow climbers would love to be sponsered by a company, or work for a climbing gym, or have some kind of paying based life including the sport of climbing? I think many of us do, though our hearts push us to do different things such as becoming an architect, or becoming that famous piano player.

One of the group members of the 80's rock group Van Halen (I can't remember which one though) had taken rock climbing as a hobby such as the rest of us. Though, whilst he pursued his heart, he found himself with a guitar in one hand, and a girl in another. If we pursue our dreams as much as we have pursued our hearts, there would become more and more pro rock climbers (or wrestlers, or baseball players, or whatever).

-P.a.t.

metoliusmunchkin

Nov 2, 2001, 3:00 AM
Post #19 of 19 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Which reminds me, which other passtimes, would you consider complimentary, or that goes hand in hand with climbing? Are there any other personal passtimes/sports that you pursue that you have found that have helped your climbing in the past, and even in the present.

I now (if some of you have not yet known) pursue the sport of downhill skiing which builds the quad and other leg muscles. I have found that this has helped my climbing quite a bit, when struggling with a move that requires great leg strength. Also, I have been taking the sport of Karate for the past year. In Karate there are many different muscle grouping at work, when doing certain workouts. These I have found have complitmented my climbs when I have had to force my legs up to my chest on a low roof.

Just wondering, I do not make many topics in these forums, and this one is very dear to me, as I have put a lot of thought into it. I am trying to make its life grow a little longer, before the tribe of climbers have spoken, and my forum topic is voted off (sorry, I'm watching Survivor right now ).

~P.a.t.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook