Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
East Side Access: Pictured Rocks in Iowa
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mckbill

Apr 15, 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1042 views)
Shortcut

East Side Access: Pictured Rocks in Iowa  (North_America: United_States: Iowa: East_Central_Iowa: Pictured_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know if climbing is permitted on the east side of the river at Pictured Rocks Park near Monticello, Iowa? I'm thinking about brining the kayaks so my climbing partner and I can paddle over to the other side of the river and try a nice looking off-width which is almost directly east of the Comic Gallery wall.

I've never seen anyone climbing on the other side of the river and wonder if this is off limits. My USGS topo map of the area shows this area is within the park boundary.

(This post was edited by mckbill on Apr 15, 2009, 10:35 AM)

mrberry

May 24, 2009, 9:25 AM
Post #2 of 3 (975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mckbill] East Side Access: Pictured Rocks in Iowa [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The conservation area does extend to the other side of the river. Often during low-water parts of the year you can wade across, though I would recommend a canoe or kayak if you have it.

Take care climbing on that side. It doesn't get nearly as much use so rock fall might be more of a concern.

mckbill

May 26, 2009, 4:44 AM
Post #3 of 3 (957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrberry] East Side Access: Pictured Rocks in Iowa [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a couple of interesting areas over there, and it's good to know that climbing is permitted in that part of the park. I have a couple of recreational kayaks so getting there is not a problem. I've explored it a bit early this spring and might do some top roping with my climbing partner. Thanks.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$35.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook