Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Trad Climbing at KY River Gorge vs New River Gorge
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

josephgdawson

May 5, 2009, 6:37 PM
Post #1 of 20 (18630 views)
Shortcut

Trad Climbing at KY River Gorge vs New River Gorge  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can someone who has climbed trad routes at the Kentucky River Gorge and the New River Gorge share with me which place has better trad routes?

I am trying to narrow down my choices for business school.

Thanks.

justroberto

May 5, 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #2 of 20 (18598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [josephgdawson] Trad Climbing at KY River Gorge vs New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

josephgdawson wrote:
Can someone who has climbed trad routes at the Kentucky River Gorge and the New River Gorge share with me which place has better trad routes?

Thanks.

Seriously? Narrow down your choice based on the school. FWIW, people may argue about which is better, but the truth is that they're pretty equivalent.

Partner mr8615

May 5, 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #3 of 20 (18581 views)
Shortcut

Re: [josephgdawson] Trad Climbing at KY River Gorge vs New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In my opinion, the new has more/better trad routes. There are some classics at the red, don't get me wrong, but when I go to the red it's to clip bolts, when I go to the new, more often than not, I'm placing gear.

That said, pick a school based on what program you're interested in and what's academically a good fit. Plus, if you go to school too close to either of these areas, your scholastic endeavors will undoubtedly suffer. I went to Virginia Tech, but spent most of my time at the New or Looking Glass or one of the many other nearby areas, not that I'm complaining, but my grades were awful and it's a wonder I finished at all.

btg

May 5, 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #4 of 20 (18577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr8615] Trad Climbing at KY River Gorge vs New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have climbed more at the Red so I am partial to it over the New. But they only four hours apart. Move in between and enjoy one or the other every weekend. I live eight hours away from the Red and every (well almost) weekend trip is worth it.

granite_grrl

May 6, 2009, 3:04 AM
Post #5 of 20 (18541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They're both good, but I think the rock at the New is a little more solid in terms of gear placements.

Not that that really matters. As most other people have said, pick based on the school. The two areas are pertty close to each other anyway. Pretty easy to drive from one to the other.

hyhuu

May 6, 2009, 3:36 AM
Post #6 of 20 (18528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Trad Climbing at KY River Gorge vs New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like other said, rocks at the New are generally more solid for gear placement and nicer to the skin on your hands. What the New lacks is the easy to moderate trad routes and offwidth. They tend to start at 5.10s while the Red has great route at just about any grades, including wide stuffs.

rtwilli4

May 6, 2009, 3:42 AM
Post #7 of 20 (18523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

First I'll say... you're crazy to spend money on a school based on rock climbing... especially in this day and age where MBA's are a dime a dozen and a much bigger investment than you might think.

It doesn't appear that you are picking schools based on residency so let me suggest the business schools at Charlotte, NC State, UNC, and Duke. Basically just as close to the New and the Red and also close to the climbing in NC. Not to mention much cooler cities than Blacksburg or Charlottesville.

josephgdawson

May 6, 2009, 6:53 AM
Post #8 of 20 (18504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Trad Climbing at KY River Gorge vs New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got into two excellent programs and I am having a tough time deciding between the two, otherwise, proximity to good climbing would be less of a factor. The ranking and reputation of each school is similar. I know I will not be happy if there is no good climbing near wherever I end up. I am doing full due diligence as any good analyst would :)

From what people have written so far it sounds like the New and the Red have decent trad climbing, therefore I do not have to factor that into the decision.

Thanks for the responses so far.

munky

May 6, 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #9 of 20 (18452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing to think about is that the New is closer to the big cliffs (Looking Glass, Whitesides. Laurel Knob, Linville, Moores, etc.) whereas the Red is further away. My suggestion is to live closer to the New so that you can access the great cliffs of NC

Partner camhead

May 6, 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #10 of 20 (18449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] Trad Climbing at KY River Gorge vs New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

munky wrote:
One thing to think about is that the New is closer to the big cliffs (Looking Glass, Whitesides. Laurel Knob, Linville, Moores, etc.) whereas the Red is further away. My suggestion is to live closer to the New so that you can access the great cliffs of NC

Yeah, but isn't the Red closer to all the Tennessee crags (Obed, T-wall, etc.)?

The Red tends to have more splitter cracks, but if you are set on just climbing splitter cracks, it's still not the best place to be. The New's trad tends to be a bit more "climb the face, protect the crack."

All in all, though, I would go with everybody else in saying that the New has more, higher quality, and more diverse gear lines.

heidt410

May 7, 2009, 3:24 PM
Post #11 of 20 (18422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Business school in KY and WV... liar :D

suilenroc

May 7, 2009, 3:58 PM
Post #12 of 20 (18406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Trad Climbing at KY River Gorge vs New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
josephgdawson wrote:

Thanks.

Seriously? Narrow down your choice based on the school. FWIW, people may argue about which is better, but the truth is that they're pretty equivalent.

Not true! Tongue Both are unique and are quite different!

rtwilli4

May 7, 2009, 6:33 PM
Post #13 of 20 (18371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] Trad Climbing at KY River Gorge vs New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
justroberto wrote:
josephgdawson wrote:

Thanks.

They are both very different in terms of climbing style, as well as the crowds that hang out there. If you a haven't been, you need to check them both out before you decide. If you plan to spend any amount of time there it will matter. I know people who think the Red is the best place in the world and I know people who hate it. Hell, I know SPORT climbers who hate it.

Personally, there is a bit too much of a scene for me and a lot of ego at the Red. A lot of people seem to take themselves very seriously there. I prefer the New. Lot's of cool people who know that there is more to climbing than sending at "The Load" and more importantly, they know that there is a lot more to life than climbing.

justroberto

May 7, 2009, 7:11 PM
Post #14 of 20 (18363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] Trad Climbing at KY River Gorge vs New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
justroberto wrote:
josephgdawson wrote:

Thanks.

You don't travel much, do you?

The Red's advantage: miles of yet-undiscovered cliffline & some classic splitters. The New's advantage: more varied climbing style, less Ohio gymbos, better scene.

rtwilli4

May 7, 2009, 7:13 PM
Post #15 of 20 (18355 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Trad Climbing at KY River Gorge vs New River Gorge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
suilenroc wrote:
justroberto wrote:
josephgdawson wrote:

Thanks.

The Red's advantage: miles of yet-undiscovered cliffline & some classic splitters. The New's advantage: more varied climbing style, less Ohio gymbos, better scene.

Nuff said.

suilenroc

May 7, 2009, 8:43 PM
Post #16 of 20 (18341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
suilenroc wrote:
justroberto wrote:
josephgdawson wrote:

Thanks.

No need to get your panties in a bunch. Your original statement was quite misleading. Just pointing that out.

You yourself just described how the places are not equal.

And to answer your question... travel much? Sure.

MikeSaint

May 7, 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #17 of 20 (18297 views)
Shortcut

What a disgrace? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only been to the Red River. I'm told it owns the New River. To all those to pick school based off of academics you should be ashamed of yourself.

Any self respecting college student picks applies to schools based off of demographics. And by demographics I mean drinking beers and the attractiveness of the people who attend.

Wink

suilenroc

May 7, 2009, 10:34 PM
Post #18 of 20 (18292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MikeSaint] What a disgrace? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MikeSaint wrote:
I've only been to the Red River. I'm told it owns the New River. To all those to pick school based off of academics you should be ashamed of yourself.

Any self respecting college student picks applies to schools based off of demographics. And by demographics I mean drinking beers and the attractiveness of the people who attend.

Wink

Agreed! Laugh

wes_allen

May 7, 2009, 11:21 PM
Post #19 of 20 (18276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] What a disgrace? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, it kinda depends on what grade you are climbing - once you are solidly into the 5.10s, the red runs out of trad routes pretty quickly. The new generally has a much better trad route density as well, where at the red you might have to hit up two or even three crags to get a full day for high star routes. That said, they aren't that far apart, distance wise.

(This post was edited by wes_allen on May 7, 2009, 11:21 PM)

rtwilli4

May 8, 2009, 12:13 AM
Post #20 of 20 (18262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] What a disgrace? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i was gonna say the same thing. if you climb 5.10 trad you can climb at the new forever. if you climb lower grades, the red may be better.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook