Premier Sponsor:

coach713
Deleted

Oct 30, 2001, 11:11 PM
Post #1 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Ahhhhhh.....Falling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I Hate falling!! My worse has been about 6 feet, and that was this weekend, and man did I smash my knee. But, I had one son while I was belaying him, fall 25 feet to the ground. He got real wide on the second bolt of a bolted route and we knew he was in trouble. I was on a ledge and all I could do was grap as much rope as possible and pull like HECK.. The rope caught just as he hit the ground. He hit back/head first and was knocked out and hurt his back and it took him months to recover enough to climb again... (More emotional than anything) The worse part was being the father and watching this.

My other son is ALWAYS taking chances and has fallen many times. He has gone about 25 and 35 feet and takes the breath right out of all of us.. But, he just swears and starts climbing again..

tangboy

Oct 30, 2001, 11:20 PM
Post #2 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Ahhhhhh.....Falling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dag on coach, sounds like you have a pretty tough kid there! thats cool and bad at the sametime, but climb on is all i say. no nasty falls except a 10-15 footer while top roping. one of our anchors (nut) popped and we didn't have the webbing tied in a figure eight where all the points came together, so when the nuts slipped while i was on my way down i pulled all the slack and our dynamic rope caught about a foot from the ground, so naturally i hit the ground because of the stretchiness of the rope. hit my heel pretty hard, and still had to teach rappelling at camp for another 3 weeks but i always check my knots now!!!!
tang

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 30, 2001, 11:41 PM
Post #3 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two 40+ footers...

One on Kor-Ingals (Castleton Tower, Ut.) on a yellow Alien.

The other on Stoner's Boner (Mt Lemmon, Az.) on a #9 BD Stopper.

Numerous lesser falls.

rrrADAM

[ This Message was edited by: rrradam on 2001-10-30 23:12 ]

coach713
Deleted

Oct 31, 2001, 12:11 AM
Post #4 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That first fall is SOO scary! Even a couple feet.. I couldn't even imagine going 15 feet, or 40 FEET!!!

The problem I am finding is, I have 5 boys that climb. I tell everyone that since I had five boys, I NEVER have to lead... But,. I just got up enough courage to start leading the last last month, and there is nothing like.

In my lead Saturday, It was about 180 feet, on a 5.7, and I was going SLOW. I had someone yell up to me to "Trust my feet".. It wasn't my feet I was worried about,. It was my nerves.

old_school

Oct 31, 2001, 6:20 AM
Post #5 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THAT WAS MY FALL, it was fun, but i was a sewing machine for the rest of the climb.

andy

fiend

Oct 31, 2001, 6:26 AM
Post #6 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Easter 2000: 2nd day of 10 day trip in the RRG, ky. pitched with my feet 3' up from the last draw, got shortroped, smashed right ankle. severe strain/sprain on all major tendons and ligaments etc, couldn't walk on it for 2 weeks (it's still swollen and hurts today)

Late July 2001: day 1 in Rumney, route #3, fell from the right side of the draw line and came swinging into the slab below the crux on an angle. Rolled on my left ankle this time, minor sprains, had to go home early. (still swollen and painful as well)

paintinhaler

Oct 31, 2001, 6:40 AM
Post #7 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sam's Throne, anyway I was pulling rope up to clip 3rd draw and hit the draw and it started swinging. I was on a overhang and stayed they trying and trying to clip but it was swinging around and I jest had to let it go. I took the fall and rope came tight I was 3in from hiting a rock on the ground

Oct 31, 2001, 3:16 PM
Post #8 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to work at a climbing wall with an auto belay at the top that litle kids would pull down and bet stuck. Every time it got stuck I had to go fix it. The new at work was my successor after I left so i had been training him all day. I decided to go fix the belay again. It was at the top of a 5.7 or so only 30ft high so I made the top in about 15 seconds. Well I fixed the belaygave the signal that I wanted to come down now. He opened the Grigri all the way and BBBAM....I hit the floor from the top. My shoulder was the first to hit then my head. I bounced man It sucked and I was pissed!

andy_lemon

Oct 31, 2001, 3:52 PM
Post #9 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah! I see rrradam has climbed Mt Lemon! lol

grizzly

Oct 31, 2001, 5:13 PM
Post #10 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first lead fall I took was a thirty footer at the local gym. I didn't get banged up or anything, but it was a little rough on the nerves. If I hadn't gotten right back on the climb I think it would have been worse though.

jer

Oct 31, 2001, 5:45 PM
Post #11 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this definately is not my worst fall-
but last weekend I was putting up a new route in Arkansas(ground up)- and pulled through the crux(10b) to easier yet still over hung ground. I was about 7 feet out from my last piece; and had a TCU in my mouth preparing to place it; when my foothold blew out beneath me - and I went for a ride. I yelled "TAKE TAKE TAKE" but it sounded like "AK AK AK"- cuz I still had the cam in my mouth. 20 feet later I hung on the rope laughing and looked down to my belayer and pulled the cam outta my mouth as proud as can be. I yell alot when I fall- so I was quite proud of keeping my mouth closed and not spitting out the cam. Then I finished the route in honor of the Access Fund- called it "Join the Excess Fun".
The end. yawn.
Jer

scradje

Oct 31, 2001, 5:59 PM
Post #12 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

biggest fall i had was a fifteen footer, even tho i was top roping, guy who was belaying me wasnt paying attention:( , couple of scrapes on the knees n arms, nothin serious.
neva climbed with the guy again tho

iclimb512s

Oct 31, 2001, 11:14 PM
Post #13 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The biggest fall iv taken is at the gym, I took a 30 footer. That was for fun though. Ive fallen maybe 25 feet outside. it was on Rode hard and put up wet, at foster falls

skupdogg

Oct 31, 2001, 11:30 PM
Post #14 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

falling in a gym is FUN! you can get really good at it, so you can let your partner fall and stop just inches above the ground. it's a rush!

metoliusmunchkin

Nov 1, 2001, 12:29 AM
Post #15 of 15 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My nastiest fall put me out of climbing for about two weeks (well, that's not too long, but it still really, really hurt!). I was on my home climbing wall testing out a new set of climbing pieces when I took about an eight foot fall. My belayer was in an awkward position, which caused my plight.

My belayer was too close to the rope in which I was leading with, and when I took the fall, my right leg got caught in my belayers rope, which caused me to fall upside down (my head almost hitting the ground)! I had a huge scrape/rope burn on my leg and was really star struck, I also left a little something in my pants, but we wont get into that now will we...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook