Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Place to crash at the Gunks?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

yogaboy

May 28, 2009, 5:29 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3914 views)
Shortcut

Place to crash at the Gunks?  (North_America: United_States: New_York: Upstate: The_Gunks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all.

I'm just wondering where a good place is to crash at the gunks. Of course I can camp, but where? Or some place with a warm shower is good too! :)

Any info would be awesome. Thanks!!!

- Neil -

Gmburns2000

May 28, 2009, 5:42 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3900 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yogaboy] Place to crash at the Gunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yogaboy wrote:
Hello all.

I'm just wondering where a good place is to crash at the gunks. Of course I can camp, but where? Or some place with a warm shower is good too! :)

Any info would be awesome. Thanks!!!

- Neil -

camp slime is free and right across the street from the cliffs. there aren't any facilities though, so it's the portapotties only. however, it's only a 20min walk to Split Rock, where many folks end their day with a dip in the cold water (i.e. - that's where I clean up at the end of the day).

the multi-use area (MUA) is also free but is a bit further down the road. I've never stayed there, so I can't comment on the facilities. I imagine they are similar to Slime, though.

bill413

May 28, 2009, 5:45 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Place to crash at the Gunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've stayed at Creek View Campsites - they have showers.

Skidemon27

May 28, 2009, 6:25 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Place to crash at the Gunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

multi use area allows fires though, and there a porta potty. the sites get filled up fast on the weekends. suggest laying down camp before climbin early in the mornin that way at then end of the day ur tent and sleepin bag are waiting for u

shoo

May 28, 2009, 6:58 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yogaboy] Place to crash at the Gunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I highly recommend setting up camp before dark. My partner and I were a bit late getting to one of the multi-use area campsites a few weeks back. After a bit of time exploring the area for an unused bit of space, we decide to walk down a trail a bit for a clear plot to plop a tent down.

I woke up in the morning and opened the tent door. Lo and behold, directly in front of me is a big sign on a post that says "No Camping." We made it out of there pretty quickly that morning.

I recounted the story later to another friend who happened to be there that weekend, who responded "So you were the jackasses in the orange Mammut tent? I wondered who that was."

(This post was edited by shoo on May 28, 2009, 6:58 PM)

cacalderon

May 29, 2009, 1:04 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Place to crash at the Gunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

all the options above are good.

I believe there is a KOA campground 15-25 min drive from the cliff - look it up.

(This post was edited by cacalderon on May 29, 2009, 1:06 AM)

joeforte

May 29, 2009, 1:27 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cacalderon] Place to crash at the Gunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine had her tent slashed during the day at the multi-abuse area. If you have a nice expensive tent, I would think twice about leaving it up all day at the MUA. Since it's essentially "car camping" it might not be a bad idea to bring the beater coleman tent.

kmc

May 29, 2009, 6:54 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3717 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Place to crash at the Gunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is most unfortunate to hear about your friends tent, but I climb at the Gunks a lot, and have never had a problem with this. Never have heard of others running into such problems either. Then again, it is car camping so unless you are concerned about findng a spot the next day as well, guess it wouldn't really hurt to break your tent down for the night.

To the OP, both the Multi Abuse Area, and Camp Slime are free camp sites. They are limited on space, and tend to fill up on weekends, as was mentioned earlier. Both are primitive camp sites, i.e. no showers or running water. There is a porta potty at the MUA, on both sides of the road (when approaching the climbing from New Paltz, there are signs for the MUA on both sides of the road, with camp sites being available on both sides of the road), and there is a porta potty by the steel bridge which is very close to Slime.

As far as showers, if its a warm day, or if you smell really bad, you can rinse off at the Coxing Kill. I say if you smell really bad because if it is not a hot, hot day, you have to be really motivated to go into that cold water.

I think you can pay to use the shower at the New Paltz Hostel (http://www.newpaltzhostel.com/) as well, but I have not done so before, so maybe someone else can verify or deny that.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook