Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Burlington/Stow Camping and Climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

altelis

May 28, 2009, 7:43 PM
Post #1 of 5 (4707 views)
Shortcut

Burlington/Stow Camping and Climbing  (North_America: United_States: Vermont)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, I'm going to roving around VT for a bit in the beginning of June and was wondering if anybody had suggestions both for places to crag in the Stowe/Burlington area as well as suggestions for some decent stealth camping?

In terms of camping, my best bets around New England have always been outa the way forest service roads. Anything like that would be very much welcome!

scotty1974

May 28, 2009, 8:22 PM
Post #2 of 5 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Burlington/Stow Camping and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've camped in Underhill on the flip side of Mt. Mansfield and it was only a couple of bucks for really nice camping. Not really stealth, but it was right near the Mansfield trailhead.

Make sure to go to the Shed Brewery in Stowe...mmmmm Mountain Ale!!!

altelis

May 28, 2009, 8:42 PM
Post #3 of 5 (4684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scotty1974] Burlington/Stow Camping and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scotty1974 wrote:
I've camped in Underhill on the flip side of Mt. Mansfield and it was only a couple of bucks for really nice camping. Not really stealth, but it was right near the Mansfield trailhead.

Make sure to go to the Shed Brewery in Stowe...mmmmm Mountain Ale!!!

Cheers! I'll have to check that out....

Any more suggestions? Keep'em coming!

Thats what she said!Sly

mramos

May 29, 2009, 1:20 AM
Post #4 of 5 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Burlington/Stow Camping and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, just got back from Stowe and we camped up by Sterling Pond. Just parked at the main lot by the boulders and it's the trail across the street and just over a mile to the pond. Keep going a few minutes and there's a lean-to and a couple of spots near the ski trails that are protected from wind and already had fire rings. Great sunsets, no tourists, and free. Also check out the Cabot cheese store if you're in the mood to fill up on enough cheddar cheese samples to plug you up for a week. Have fun!

Mike

apeman_e

Sep 11, 2009, 4:05 PM
Post #5 of 5 (4413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mramos] Burlington/Stow Camping and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mramos wrote:
Hey, just got back from Stowe and we camped up by Sterling Pond. Just parked at the main lot by the boulders and it's the trail across the street and just over a mile to the pond. Keep going a few minutes and there's a lean-to and a couple of spots near the ski trails that are protected from wind and already had fire rings. Great sunsets, no tourists, and free. Also check out the Cabot cheese store if you're in the mood to fill up on enough cheddar cheese samples to plug you up for a week. Have fun!

Mike

He speaks the truth. This is a great spot, and the bouldering in smuggs is really great fun.

As for cragging, your closest area will be bolton, but that can be difficult to find on your own, and really nothing spectacular. There are trad lines in the notch, but I don't know anything about it, and from the ground the lines look a bit loose.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook