RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

Gelada

May 29, 2009, 8:30 PM
Post #1 of 22 (20317 views)
Shortcut

Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So this is just a hypothesis fueled by seeing so many hangboards on sale lately.

I am currently living along with my brother in an apartment. I know he would not take to kindly to me drilling or screwing anything major into the walls.

Would this work?

Getting one these (love the commercials, heh):
Iron Gym - http://www.getirongym.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

And then mounting said small hangboard to a piece of 3/4's plywood, screwing it down, and then fashion some way to attach it to the bar?

I know it is a stretch, but could it work?

OR - anyone tried anything that has worked otherwise with minimal impact?

chetroy

May 29, 2009, 8:58 PM
Post #2 of 22 (20303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gelada] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great idea Gelada
This would help a ton of others out too. Thinking you could bolt some two by fours, or six to the protruding handles. Then build off that, depending on hangboard. Really surprised a hangboard company does not cash in on this, everyone would have one :). Lets us see your first prototype.
pe4ce

agdavis

May 29, 2009, 9:03 PM
Post #3 of 22 (20290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gelada wrote:
So this is just a hypothesis fueled by seeing so many hangboards on sale lately.

I am currently living along with my brother in an apartment. I know he would not take to kindly to me drilling or screwing anything major into the walls.

Would this work?

And then mounting said small hangboard to a piece of 3/4's plywood, screwing it down, and then fashion some way to attach it to the bar?

for what it's worth, i have the Iron Gym and the way it hangs on a door jam is ingenious. i would totally buy a hangboard that work in a similar fashion

k.l.k

May 29, 2009, 9:03 PM
Post #4 of 22 (20281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would recommend simply getting one of those tension chinning bars from a Big 5-- the kind that require no screws to mount--and a set of rock rings.

rock rings are more versatile, more portable, and easier on your elbows.

this set-up requires no engineering and is really low-key, assuming the doorframe in the building is built to code. you can put pieces of cardboard or thin felt under the ends of the bar to prevent it marking the doorframe.

czo

May 30, 2009, 1:09 AM
Post #5 of 22 (20230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could probably just copy the Iron Gym mount design and replicate it with wood to attach the hangboard to. Maybe something like this:

Grizvok

May 30, 2009, 3:17 AM
Post #6 of 22 (20199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [czo] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great idea, the "Iron Gym" hangboard would work perfectly if made correctly. Definitely a marketable idea as well.

Gelada

Jun 1, 2009, 3:29 PM
Post #7 of 22 (20082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [czo] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

czo wrote:
You could probably just copy the Iron Gym mount design and replicate it with wood to attach the hangboard to. Maybe something like this: [image]http://imgur.com/qMNcj.png[/image] [image]http://imgur.com/F5at4.png[/image]

I did not expect this idea to be so well recieved, so thats cool.

Also the pictorial mock-up really did drive home the point that this could be done at home. I just wish I still had access to a table saw, gah.

Regarding the rock-rings idea, that is all actually very correct and I love them. I just have noticed a marked improvance in the health of my hands after doing moderate intensity dead-hangs (not doing any pull-ups on the holds) on a hangboard. I am finding if I stay away from any positions I cannot hold for at least ten seconds and quit before failure, my hands/tendons/elbows feel just fine.

bill413

Jun 1, 2009, 3:55 PM
Post #8 of 22 (20068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Gelada wrote:
Also the pictorial mock-up really did drive home the point that this could be done at home. I just wish I still had access to a table saw, gah.

Buy a handsaw. And a straitedge. Go old school. Much quieter and good exercise.

ryanb

Jun 1, 2009, 3:56 PM
Post #9 of 22 (20065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
I would recommend simply getting one of those tension chinning bars from a Big 5-- the kind that require no screws to mount--and a set of rock rings.

this set-up requires no engineering and is really low-key, assuming the doorframe in the building is built to code. you can put pieces of cardboard or thin felt under the ends of the bar to prevent it marking the doorframe.

Rock rings are awesome but the texture is aggressive and smallest edge is not very small by bouldering standards. I currently use a set of rock rings plus a single small metolious campus rung which is a great set up.

Even the small rung is pretty easy after a while ... at the moment i can dead hang it for 20 seconds no problem. I've been thinking of ways to mount it at an angle/upside down or add weight to get back to the magic "failure in 6-12 seconds" range (3 sets of 5) before my next serious hang boarding kick (which will probably be next winter since the real rock is dry and warm now and it is time to concentrate on actual climbing).

czo

Jun 1, 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #10 of 22 (20030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Grizvok] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Grizvok wrote:
Great idea, the "Iron Gym" hangboard would work perfectly if made correctly. Definitely a marketable idea as well.
Patent pending! OK, maybe not, but you're probably right.

dudemanbu

Jun 1, 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #11 of 22 (20024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
k.l.k wrote:

Rock rings are awesome but the texture is aggressive and smallest edge is not very small by bouldering standards. I currently use a set of rock rings plus a single small metolious campus rung which is a great set up.

Even the small rung is pretty easy after a while ... at the moment i can dead hang it for 20 seconds no problem. I've been thinking of ways to mount it at an angle/upside down or add weight to get back to the magic "failure in 6-12 seconds" range (3 sets of 5) before my next serious hang boarding kick (which will probably be next winter since the real rock is dry and warm now and it is time to concentrate on actual climbing).

I've found that the rock rings maintain their usefulness if you go down to monos on the smallest edge.

jermanimal

Jun 2, 2009, 1:55 PM
Post #12 of 22 (19978 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dudemanbu wrote:
ryanb wrote:
k.l.k wrote:

I've found that the rock rings maintain their usefulness if you go down to monos on the smallest edge.

don't you mean, "one arm mono levers"?

dudemanbu

Jun 2, 2009, 2:41 PM
Post #13 of 22 (19956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jermanimal] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i did mean one arm monos, but if you can do one arm mono levers, more power to you.

markcarlson

Jun 3, 2009, 4:00 PM
Post #14 of 22 (19890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Gelada wrote:

Would this work?

I have thought about that before, and heard of another method as well.

- Mount hangboard on plywood, so the plywood rests on the top of the door frame
- Get identical piece of plywood for back side
- Get huge (deep?) clamps
- Clamp the two pieces of wood together

Here are some pictures that may give you an idea of what I'm referring to.

^ They were able to do it upside down (upside right?) which is even better, since you don't have to take it down all the time.

You would have to be careful with the clamps though, since you could be exerting force above where it's clamped, acting somewhat like a lever, prying the clamp apart!

I don't know where I originally heard of this, but I didn't think of it first, that's for sure:
- http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2079519#2079919

Gelada

Jun 3, 2009, 4:19 PM
Post #15 of 22 (19879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markcarlson] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mark, that is actually some awesome information. Especially since I already have huge C-clamps.

I can definitly at least try it out, but I may be posting next time with a few less teeth or one less nose (mine-as-well get the deviated septum fixed anyways).

thelight

May 28, 2010, 7:41 AM
Post #16 of 22 (18898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I know this is a bit of an old post but I've got the same issue!!

I found this site, with great ideas. Plus they actually do have a working iron gym+hangboard example. Its super cool...

http://www.beastmaker.co.uk/...ing_fingerboards.pdf

If you have any suggestions I was in your boat a couple months ago. Hope you can bring me some good news!

xaniel2000

May 28, 2010, 3:49 PM
Post #17 of 22 (18820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thelight] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome PDF, thanks for posting

TonyDee

Aug 3, 2010, 8:08 PM
Post #18 of 22 (18428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive made 3 iron gym hangboards that have been a huge sucess. They were mainly built for friends that cant drill into appartments and dorm rooms. When i get home ill put some pictures and directions up.

jose32

Aug 4, 2010, 1:01 AM
Post #19 of 22 (18384 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder if there's a way to modify the iron gym to hang a door frame size wall from hmm.

This guy below came up with a way to somewhat temp mount a door frame wall using an idea somewhat similar to the iron gym, albiet with some mounting. An iron gym mod would be so much cleaner and nicer.

The mount
http://mountainproject.com/...06591__5#a_106796409

Part of his cantilever mount contraption

http://mountainproject.com/...06591__4#a_106752657

TonyDee

Aug 4, 2010, 1:08 AM
Post #20 of 22 (18381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TonyDee] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not the best photos but i cant seem to find my cam. Hope this helps some people. If anyone wants some instructions or a list of parts just message me.

say hi jenna haha
first picture is of the mod board i made after the moon board board. btw do not use wood like that if you dont have to. I felt like not wasting wood and then i got that brick

(This post was edited by TonyDee on Aug 4, 2010, 1:11 AM)
Attachments: image.jpeg (41.7 KB)
  image(2).jpeg (47.3 KB)
  image(3).jpeg (46.9 KB)

rocknrock

Aug 4, 2010, 4:57 PM
Post #21 of 22 (18291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TonyDee] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that's cool, fairly simple too.

Is there much sway when using the board mounted on the iron gym? Can you kind of campus a bit from hold to hold without it blowing off the door?

I've never used iron gym so really have no idea how solid it is, or if it can handle much sort of bouncing.

thx

TonyDee

Aug 4, 2010, 6:17 PM
Post #22 of 22 (18261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknrock] Mounting Hangboard with no Holes in Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Very simple but also very sturdy. Ive gotten zero complaints from anyone thus far

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook