Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bubba City approaches (including Sandstonia)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Partner j_ung

Sep 3, 2007, 5:05 PM
Post #1 of 12 (6243 views)
Shortcut

Bubba City approaches (including Sandstonia)  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: New_River_Gorge_Region: New_River___Tributaries: Bubba_City)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi folks,

This past weekend, the Adopt-a-Crag crew re-opened the approach trails for Bubba City and moved the parking for Sandstonia to a temporary location.

The Sandstonia change is the biggie you should be aware of, since it changes pretty much everything. The gas-well parking area is now closed thanks to a steel gate. Instead of squeezing in there, park about 1/4 of a mile before it where Ames Heights Rd, the powerline cut and Fox-wood Cemetery all intersect on the left side of the road. We've marked the area where you can park; you'll notice that it stays well clear of the cemetery itself. (Please do not park any closer to the graves than what is marked.)

From the parking area, hike the powerline cut. We've marked two access trails on the left. The first is the the #6 trail (Ameless Wall and Kingfish) in Eric Horst's guidebook. The second is the #7 trail (Sandstonia and Rubble Rock).

Parking and trails for Beer Wall and the upstream Bubba crags are the same as always -- we only had to clear the trails bocked by dirt mounds and fallen trees. We marked the #1 trail and the #2 trail, because they were a little hard to find. The area looks completely different than it did just a month or two ago.

In fact, we marked any even slightly confusing trail intersections on both approaches with wooden stakes sporting Rendezvous stickers and lots and lots of orange flagging tape.

Please note that these parking areas and approaches are likely to change completely in the next couple years or so as the land between the road and the park is developed. NRAC folks are constantly at work to secure access during and after this project. So far we've got great relationships going with the landowner and the the folks who are set to become the new landowners. Let's keep it like that! Pick up trash, respect the trails and be friendly to any non-climbers you meet in there.

We're working on putting together a a new trail map, too. When we get it going, we'll post it to the NRAC website (http://www.newriverclimbing.net). I'll post that link here, too, once it goes live.

Thanks!
Smile

Partner mr8615

Sep 4, 2007, 12:31 PM
Post #2 of 12 (6176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Bubba City approaches (including Sandstonia) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome work, everyone! I'm sorry I couldn't make it this fall. I'll be at the next one for sure! Thanks for everything!

acarp

Sep 4, 2007, 2:01 PM
Post #3 of 12 (6150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr8615] Bubba City approaches (including Sandstonia) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think we should figure out how to get a road right to the bottom of the cliffs. :)

microbarn

Sep 4, 2007, 2:05 PM
Post #4 of 12 (6149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We went to Bubba city on Sunday, and the trails were extremely easy to follow. Great work. Thank you for the update, and thanks to all the volunteers for the trail work on Saturday.

knieveltech

Sep 4, 2007, 2:13 PM
Post #5 of 12 (6139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang! Wish I'd had this beta a couple days earlier. We ended up slogging from the beer wall to get to Sandstonia. It's great to hear that access initiatives are being worked out with the landowners, Bubba City is a great crag. Thanks for all the hard work!

rastafarout

May 29, 2009, 1:49 PM
Post #6 of 12 (5719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi everyone!
Heading down there tonight.
Any update on this one,would be much appreciated.
The trail is still as is described here?Also still need permit from class vI?
Thanks

shaylily

May 29, 2009, 4:38 PM
Post #7 of 12 (5681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rastafarout] Bubba City approaches (including Sandstonia) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is lots of parking and the trail is well marked as a normal trail. Just follow the dirt road, which has been graded. No permit required.

The directions from Jay do not apply anymore as they finished grading the road/trail/development.

Have a great time!

(This post was edited by shaylily on May 29, 2009, 4:42 PM)

rastafarout

May 29, 2009, 5:16 PM
Post #8 of 12 (5673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shaylily] Bubba City approaches (including Sandstonia) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok,thanks
But where should i park?
At the gas well? Like used to be?

(This post was edited by rastafarout on May 29, 2009, 8:00 PM)

rastafarout

May 29, 2009, 8:00 PM
Post #9 of 12 (5641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump

shaylily

Jun 1, 2009, 5:02 PM
Post #10 of 12 (5608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To be honest, I wasn't quite awake enough to remember. All I remember is that it was easy to find since the parking area is huge. Try PM'ing Jay and see if he can give you better direction. Sorry.

mojomonkey

Jun 1, 2009, 7:24 PM
Post #11 of 12 (5594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shaylily] Bubba City approaches (including Sandstonia) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The parking that was at the gas well is closed. Now you can park at the cemetery right by the power line cut. We were there over memorial weekend and filled out the form for a pass from Wild Rock to park there. They weren't there when we showed up (we are early birds) so we left it on the windshield and there was a pass when we returned.

Partner j_ung

Jun 5, 2009, 2:42 PM
Post #12 of 12 (5556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Bubba City approaches (including Sandstonia) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's super old info, and the Bubba access seems to change almost by the month.

Beer Wall (Bubba Butt, etc) parking is still the same as it always was, except you should try to park on the right side of the road, instead. Hike the gravel road until you see a tree on the left with lots of orange flagging tape (could change at any moment Wink). That's your turn. Soon, you'll come to an intersection with a large trail. Continue straight across. It'll take you into a gully and right down to the crag bottom between Bubba Buttress and Central Bubba. If you're looking for climbs further upstream, you can also hike the gravel road to its end at a gas well, then look for a small trail off the left side of the clearing. That one will bring you down at Headless Wall. Turn left for Head Wall.

For Sandstonia, everything is the same as above, but the markings may be less obvious. I find it by hiking the power lines to the top of the first big hill, them spotting the highest hill on the power lines I can see. The left turn from the top of that hill will bring you down to Tattoo Wall.

Just in case anybody missed it, the old parking for Sandstonia at the gas well right next to the road is CLOSED. Please don't park there.

In both cases, you still need a parking permit. You can get one from the Wild Rock office on the Class-VI raft company's campus, which is on the left before you get to either parking area.

Have fun!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook