Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
massive bolder about to fall upper PATC lieback and bombay crack
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

drsuperfly

Jun 1, 2009, 6:05 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

massive bolder about to fall upper PATC lieback and bombay crack  (North_America: United_States: Virginia: North_Western: Old_Rag_Mountain: PATC_Wall__aka_Skyline_Wall_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was climbing PATC Lieback. After climbing the crack while transitioning over to the chimney on the left I grabbed a 5 foot by 2 foot slab of rock. It slid 6 inches. After telling my belayer to move to the side I let go and it made a crack sound. I was lowered and ran like hell.

Questions for the forum: What is a safe way to go about dislodging the unstable bolder? Is it good climber’s etiquette to do so?

It looks like a pretty good line. Beware.

onceahardman

Jun 1, 2009, 6:23 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drsuperfly] massive bolder about to fall upper PATC lieback and bombay crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drsuperfly wrote:
I was climbing PATC Lieback. After climbing the crack while transitioning over to the chimney on the left I grabbed a 5 foot by 2 foot slab of rock. It slid 6 inches. After telling my belayer to move to the side I let go and it made a crack sound. I was lowered and ran like hell.

Questions for the forum: What is a safe way to go about dislodging the unstable bolder? Is it good climber’s etiquette to do so?

It looks like a pretty good line. Beware.

TRUNDLING has a great history for climbers. Make it safe, then let it fly!!!

I'm jealous. Trundling is a blast.

irregularpanda

Jun 1, 2009, 7:11 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] massive bolder about to fall upper PATC lieback and bombay crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:

Agreed.

Rappel or traverse in safely.
Bring a crowbar.
Make sure nobody is below you.
Bring a cameraman.

coolcat83

Jun 1, 2009, 7:45 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] massive bolder about to fall upper PATC lieback and bombay crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

Agreed.

Rappel or traverse in safely. remember to keep your ropes out of the way when you let it loose
Bring a crowbar.
Bring a cameraman. please

i saw a video a couple years back of some guys lettig loose a whole pillar, they used a scissor jack from a car to move it...perhaps a bit extreme

pendereki

Jun 1, 2009, 8:00 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1936 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] massive bolder about to fall upper PATC lieback and bombay crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coolcat83 wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

Agreed.

Rappel or traverse in safely. remember to keep your ropes out of the way when you let it loose
Bring a crowbar.

i saw a video a couple years back of some guys lettig loose a whole pillar, they used a scissor jack from a car to move it...perhaps a bit extreme

Really!! If it is OK to use a crowbar or a scissor jack to remove rock from a route, how 'bout just a hammer and chisel to remove a little bit of rock? A couple of new handholds maybe??

irregularpanda

Jun 1, 2009, 8:18 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pendereki] massive bolder about to fall upper PATC lieback and bombay crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pendereki wrote:

Really!! If it is OK to use a crowbar or a scissor jack to remove rock from a route, how 'bout just a hammer and chisel to remove a little bit of rock? A couple of new handholds maybe??

OK, now shut your word hole.

coolcat83

Jun 1, 2009, 9:13 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pendereki] massive bolder about to fall upper PATC lieback and bombay crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pendereki wrote:
coolcat83 wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

Agreed.

Bring a crowbar.

Never said I approved

knieveltech

Jun 1, 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] massive bolder about to fall upper PATC lieback and bombay crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1vZSxOCxRI

O.o

curt

Jun 2, 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #9 of 14 (1838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pendereki wrote:
coolcat83 wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

Agreed.

Bring a crowbar.

Different concept entirely--please try to pay attention.

Curt

virginiapine

Sep 24, 2009, 2:28 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] massive boulder about to fall upper PATC lieback and bombay crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm, I'll have to get up there again soon and have a look. I've extended PATC Lieback and Hemlock Crack to the top by pulling straight down on that flake in order to reach a crack to the right and thence up the upper wall. Funny how I've never had any problem with that flake. But then I started doing alpine stuff within a year of learning to rock climb and thus automatically pay very close attention to what I'm grabbing and HOW I grab it - after all, virtually everything up in the high peaks is loose...

Looking at the orig. post again, I suppose he may be referring to something on the big ledge, as opposed to a flake above....

(This post was edited by virginiapine on Sep 24, 2009, 2:32 PM)

shimanilami

Sep 24, 2009, 2:54 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drsuperfly] massive bolder about to fall upper PATC lieback and bombay crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Safety? Etiquette? Fuck that bullshit.

Real men use dynamite. And lots of it.

notapplicable

Sep 24, 2009, 6:18 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] massive bolder about to fall upper PATC lieback and bombay crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
Safety? Etiquette? Fuck that bullshit.

Real men use dynamite. And lots of it.

This is correct.

Superfly, I will bring the explosives (homemade of course) if you can get your hands on a video camera. Weekdays would be best but I'm not afraid to give the tourons a show either. Just let me know.

minibiter

Sep 24, 2009, 8:38 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the heads up, I've been meaning to get back up there now that the weather's chilling out. Probably gonna head to the reflector oven / OMG / Bushwhack area though.

I haven't been on that route but what I would do is rap in and pop that puppy. Assuming a rap is possible...

Good advice to make sure your rope are out of the way.

I pulled a smaller flake off something over on whale's lip or eagle's gift last year, probably only 30# or so of rock but it exploded pretty well! Had lots of bugs behind it too.

minibiter

Sep 24, 2009, 8:47 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After reviewing the book, my flake came off slightly right of The Latest Trick at Upper God's.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$71.96 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)
$7.16 (10% off)
$10.89 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook