RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

nikegirl

Oct 30, 2001, 3:25 PM
Post #1 of 5 (567 views)
Shortcut

Guilty or Guiltless time away
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know that I've read things about taking a break while climbing. What about time off. I took 10 days off, and felt empty...harsh word, but true. I couldn't wait to come home to climb..
I've come back to my routine, and now I am feeling exausted. What is that about? I so don't want to burn out. I keep my Gym workout to about every other day. I am afraid to take time off, for fear that I won't have stamina when I come back to it.. Does any one else go thru this rollercoaster?
Maybe a few days off is needed. What ya think?

krillen

Oct 30, 2001, 3:40 PM
Post #2 of 5 (567 views)
Shortcut

Guilty or Guiltless time away [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Everybody is different.

Personally I climb tues. and thurs night and try to get out both days one the weekends. Others (Manboy for example) will tell you two days on, one day off. Still other people will you that is takes two-three days for muscles to recoup after a really hard burn. Realistically is a personal thing. What can you body handle? What does it need?

Sometimes you need a hiatus from climbing all together so it doesn't lose that shine and lustre it has for you. You don't want to feel like you HAVE top climb or you'll get sick of it. you should feel like you GET to climb! If that takes, taking time off, so be it. 10 days, two weeks, a month, maybe more? When you come back you should feel refreshed and ready to crank.

Don't worry about your stamina, it will come back. Your muscle memory will kick in once you get back to it and make it easier to re-attain your former level. just don't come back too fast or you'll blow something out like a tendon.

Hope this helps

downshift

Oct 30, 2001, 6:14 PM
Post #3 of 5 (567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd have to agree. Breaking form climbing or any other activity can really be an asset. I find when I break and come back I can ussual push further and get stuff done that I have been having difficulty with. Mind you my breaks ussual aren't planned, issues such as work pull me away from climbing.

[ This Message was edited by: downshift on 2001-10-30 20:21 ]

fiend

Oct 30, 2001, 7:47 PM
Post #4 of 5 (567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember hearing/reading somewhere that (as with any serious physical pasttime) you should be taking one month off out of every 12 that you climb.

Anybody else hear about this?

It seems weird but think about how seasonal most sports are
eg.
snowboarding/skiing: due to the seasons you can't ride all the time and are forced to be away from it. even the hardcore snowchasers can't ride the whole year round

since we can climb in the gym when the weather doesn't co-operate, a lot of us climb year round. Should we be taking more time off? And do you think this would help the mental side of climbing?

nikegirl

Oct 30, 2001, 9:33 PM
Post #5 of 5 (567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tonight while eating dinner, I realized, that my mindset, is what needs a break. Burnout, will eventually happen if I don't do something. I had decided to give into the" Whine", before I hit the Gym wall today. That whine in my head... told me something. Break. Regroup, the brain. Meditate on the challenge of" being away", even if it is just a week.

I will definitly take a few days. A month, fiend, I'd go nuts(there is no smiley for that). Which actually tells me that I love this sport, and can't be away for too long. Can't do it.
I can see why Snowboarding is looking really good to me, today. I'm looking forward to boarding, like BIG time!
In the meantime, I'll keep my brain fresh, and surf the site, for good info, and play hangman.
Bought the Gri Gri from ACME today. Can't wait for it to come.shopping online with my free time...uh oh!!

What do most people do while not climbing, and on(physical/ mental break?

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook