RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Alphaboth

Jun 8, 2009, 3:21 AM
Post #1 of 9 (7676 views)
Shortcut

pinky numbness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

About a week ago i began getting a numbess sensation in my left pinky and index finger. Kindof like hitting your funny bone. I can still climb as hard as i could before, but it's a distraction. Doing pullups or climbing makes it worse. Anyone have anything similar ever?

jdwynn

Jun 8, 2009, 4:16 AM
Post #2 of 9 (7666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alphaboth] pinky numbness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Your bones in your fingers have tunnels where your nerves run their length, if you wear down the bone tunnel around the nerves then gripping rock or anything else tightly will put pressure on the nerve and cause the finger(s) to tingle or feel numb but i'm no DR. NeWay I have this happen to me when i climb, more so when i first began climbing 2years ago got better as i got stronger. my doc told me its from riding bikes and playing hockey. Any sport/activity that you are using your hands intensely like climbing, could likely cause damage. do lots of hand/finger exercises-stretching.

NJSlacker

Jun 8, 2009, 4:16 AM
Post #3 of 9 (7666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a similar thing in my ring finger. I got two flappers on that finger from a particularly sharp hold. It's been 4 days now, hoping it fixes itself.

Murko

Jun 9, 2009, 3:29 AM
Post #4 of 9 (7619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NJSlacker] pinky numbness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course, it's impossible to diagnose without a professional workup but it does sound like it could be somesort of ulnar nerve impingement/entrapment or cubital tunnel syndrome. The ulnar is one of the nerves running down the length of your arm and is actually the nerve you hit when you hit your "funny bone" on your elbow. Numbness specifically in your little and index finger are one of the first signs that the ulnar nerve is possibly being affected. The next sign would be a change in motor skills of the hand/fingers.

Impingement etc..could come from a number of reasons, a few of these potential reasons include: adhesions (many causes for adhesions-in my case 35 years of climbing)attaching to and affecting the ulnar nerve; acute injury to nerve/arm (another cause for my impingement-motorcycle accident in '83 coming back to haunt me); or abnormal tightness in the forearm musculature which at the extreme end of this reason would be compartment syndrome (muscle fibers are contained in connective tissue compartments and if inflammation/swelling occurs and is not abated then the increased pressure in the compartment will kill the muscle). I don't think you have compartment syndrome as you would be experiencing other s/s as well. Some cases of compartment syndrome have been linked to creatine supplement usage. Though technically not compartment syndrome - a well developed, over used climbers forearm could be causing some chronic inflammation which may affect the ulnar nerve.

Anyway you might want to try some "nerve gliding" exercises. Google nerve gliding and you will find multiple references. A good one specifically for the ulnar nerve is to make the "ok" sign using your thumb and 1st finger. Hold the "ok" sign up so you can see thru the "ok" hole (thumb/1st finger closest to you and little finger furthest away), now rotate your little finger/hand up and around, trying to look thru the hole from the other side (you may not be able to bend the hand around far enough to see thru the other side but that's ok). Now bend your elbow back and forth keeping your hand in that position. You may feel the ulnar nerve gliding thru at your elbow. Try 3 sets of 20 reps of these at slightly different angles. See if that helps or aggravates the condition.

For myself, I perform nerve gliding exercises and have to go to a physical therapist/rolfer for fascia alignment on my forearm to keep my numbness from worsening. My other option would be surgical in nature and I prefer not to go that route while therapy/exercise is currently working.

Have you changed your workouts in anyway, how long have you been climbing. Any other pains? Does it feel numb all the time? When you sleep? Does anything help it? Good luck, Mark

girlyoutalkto

Jun 9, 2009, 9:18 PM
Post #5 of 9 (7584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second what Murko said. I had this, but it extended to my ring finger as well. My doctor said it was an ulnar nerve impingement in either my wrist or elbow. I immobilized my wrist for most of the day with a brace and tried to keep my elbow straight when I could. It slowly faded on its own after a few weeks. Doc didn't seem to think it was a big deal. He said it could be coming from my neck, but that is a lot less likely. Guess it wasn't, because it hasn't been back!

Alphaboth

Jun 10, 2009, 3:12 AM
Post #6 of 9 (7573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [girlyoutalkto] pinky numbness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah that sounds like it. I guess i'll give it a rest for a week if i can. I've been climbing well though so it may be hard to.

girlyoutalkto

Jun 10, 2009, 2:23 PM
Post #7 of 9 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd take a week off. My doctor did say it could get worst, and that would be a bummer, plus one week isn't going to make a difference in your ability. If anything, you'll come back well rested and stronger! Smile

Partner cracklover

Jun 10, 2009, 3:43 PM
Post #8 of 9 (7549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had that before. Do a search for golfer's elbow and tennis elbow (I can never remember which is which).

Unfortunately, if yours is caused by a muscle imbalance, rest/ice/ibuprofen will help for now, but it will only come back. But even in that case, there is hope for you! If it is caused by a muscle imbalance, there are stretches and exercise you can do that can help a ton. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm now totally asymptomatic.

Good luck!

GO

Partner cracklover

Jun 10, 2009, 3:44 PM
Post #9 of 9 (7548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [girlyoutalkto] pinky numbness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW, hi girlyoutalkto! Haven't talked to you in a while. Looks like you're climbing strong, nice going!

Cheers,

GO

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook